Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What is the new carp?  (Read 3578 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What is the new carp?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 08:29:29 pm »

It is funny. My fort is in a forest and I never had any tree inccidents.
I had 1.  You don't dig deep enough, your dwarves get crushed by decaying roots.
Really? The roots are only 1 z-level deep, at least on my map.
Yup.  Dig deeper than -2 ;)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 08:44:29 pm »

Yup.  Dig deeper than -2 ;)
Well there's an aquifier.
I'll try that in another fort.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 10:57:24 pm »

Well, the goblin was indeed not much of a problem, and easily went down. But then the undead just sprinted towards my military with agility you'd never expect from zombies, slaying both the wrestler and the swordsman with maximum prejudice. Soon enough the two zombies would proceed to slay the entire fort of ~25 dwarves, leaving me with the only option of putting them all into military and issuing an attack order. Which didn't matter anyways, they all went down just as easily as the soldier and wrestler did.

It seems to me there are clearly new opportunities to get a lot of !!FUN!! for these looking for it, and yes, the undead are definitely the new carp. They just aren't very common(or I think so).
Oh yes, the undead are especially heinous with discipline being important now, dwarves just shit themselves when they see a zombie and run screaming in circles while it chews on their faces...

Also, watch out for giant gray langurs, they killed one of my military dwarves and wounded several civilians last time they attacked my fortress...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 01:08:58 am »

Tantruming dorfs can occasionally be fatal. To dorfs other than the one tantruming, that is.But I still argue trees are the big killer.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 04:18:41 am »

I seem to be have much more trouble with the undead now than before (embarked close to a tower). Having to rely on long trap corridors since my militia keeps getting butchered by them.

I've also yet to see a goblin attack in 40.x, though I get plenty of kobold thieves.

Draba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 05:53:19 am »

I'm entirely new to the game and the ease of starting out surprised me, too.
DF has a reputation of being extremely hard and unforgiving, but so far I didn't actually lose a game.
I usually go 1-3 years in experimenting with different things before abandoning and starting fresh.
In the first few games I didn't even know how happiness works, still never seen a tantrum spiral.
I still don't know how military works and didn't create any traps, all the action I've seen was a weremongoose attack in ~15 games.
The embark sites are mostly untamed wilderness, didn't have any problems with wild animals.

The only comparable game I'm familiar with nowadays is Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. That one has a ridiculous
learning curve, too (new players could take months or even years to actually win their first game, if ever).
I remember getting my ass kicked to hell and back starting out, took me a week to even reach the temple, an early point of interest.
That's why it's extremely rewarding when you can win 1 in every 3-4 game (some guys got so good they can
win ~95%, going on 15-20 game streaks).

On another note, why are trees dangerous? I mostly embark on heavily forested areas but didn't notice anything so far.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 07:23:52 am »

So, King of Plants is now a thing.

I hadn't any tree related fun. TBH i didn't played the first 0.40 versions, nor did I dig through root systems.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 11:08:43 am »

I'm entirely new to the game and the ease of starting out surprised me, too.
DF has a reputation of being extremely hard and unforgiving, but so far I didn't actually lose a game.
I usually go 1-3 years in experimenting with different things before abandoning and starting fresh.
In the first few games I didn't even know how happiness works, still never seen a tantrum spiral.
I still don't know how military works and didn't create any traps, all the action I've seen was a weremongoose attack in ~15 games.
The embark sites are mostly untamed wilderness, didn't have any problems with wild animals.

The only comparable game I'm familiar with nowadays is Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. That one has a ridiculous
learning curve, too (new players could take months or even years to actually win their first game, if ever).
I remember getting my ass kicked to hell and back starting out, took me a week to even reach the temple, an early point of interest.
That's why it's extremely rewarding when you can win 1 in every 3-4 game (some guys got so good they can
win ~95%, going on 15-20 game streaks).

On another note, why are trees dangerous? I mostly embark on heavily forested areas but didn't notice anything so far.
DF was the same way until recent changes to emotions and sieges, now it takes months to years of prolonged trouble to send dwarves to insanity but it used to be that three dwarves dying could send the entire fortress into a tantrum spiral that you couldn't escape. That, combined with the guarantee of being attacked when your fortress reached a certain level made a lot of new players lose a few fortresses before learning to prioritize some industries like to get defenses set up and keep dwarves happy before going into large scale production of trade goods and valuable items...

1-3 years just isn't long enough for most armies to attack you, unless you happen to be right on top of their main base and they are about to launch an attack somewhere else...

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 11:15:21 am »

giant gray langurs

G...Gi...G...GgggrrrhhhgghhhhRRRRRR

Are you saying there exists a GIANT version of those pests?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 11:19:26 am »

giant gray langurs

Bad news: yes
Good news: I've captured some and am starting a breeding program with them, soon I will make a fortress entirely defended by giant gray langurs

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 12:05:42 pm »

The only dwarf I ever had injured by a tree was a woodcutter who was standing under one when it was felled and had his arm crushed. I do not understand why they are considered so dangerous.

I would still consider a tantrumming dwarf to be the most dangerous creature.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 01:15:40 pm »

giant gray langurs

Bad news: yes
Good news: I've captured some and am starting a breeding program with them, soon I will make a fortress entirely defended by giant gray langurs

Wow. 5-10 300k sized creatures AND they are food and item thieves ? must be colossally fun for a starting fort.

Never ran into them, actually.

Also they are not [LARGE_PREDATOR]s and not war or hunting trainable as well, so your defense will be pointless unless you've modded them.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 03:04:02 pm »

I seem to be have much more trouble with the undead now than before (embarked close to a tower). Having to rely on long trap corridors since my militia keeps getting butchered by them.

I've also yet to see a goblin attack in 40.x, though I get plenty of kobold thieves.

The undead make very good use of the new pulping mechanics and without hit points they're often harder to kill because dwarves will hit different body parts rather than just pulping one part completely.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 04:27:37 pm »

The undead being hard to re-kill seems about right to me. After all, they are already dead. The old system made little sense and the new one is a big improvement. I would put them at a close second behind dwarves as the worst ordinary enemies to face.

Disciplined dwarves should learn to bash the same part again when fighting the undead. In other threads I have already discussed the idea of dwarven tactics evolving with discipline, making more technically efficient fighters.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 05:57:25 pm »

Also on the undead, undead animals sometimes gain the ability to grasp which makes them incredibly deadly since they often have 4 grasping limbs and a pair of deadly horns plus whatever random item they happen to get a hold of in battle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4