Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What is the new carp?  (Read 3579 times)

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is the new carp?
« on: December 17, 2014, 04:46:34 pm »

Haven't played for a (big) while and wanna start new fort, what animal is the elephant/carp/badger konga of current version? Some advice for returning player?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the new carp?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 04:48:32 pm »

Be wary of falling trees...
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 04:49:53 pm »

The undead.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 04:53:40 pm »

Zombies.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 05:08:04 pm »

Giant keas.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 05:16:05 pm »

Everything not a dwarf, and sometimes dwarves.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 05:27:34 pm »

I vote trees. Not only falling, they do damage growing as well. BANG! Horse up a tree! BANG! I could have sworn that there was a cart with that outpost liaison, but now there's just a pile of trade goods. BANG! BangBANG! No path to your Trade Depot.

...Probably less of a problem in a less well treed biome. But I'm clearing wood all the time, and I've had to make roads three tiles wide so that the trade depot is reliably accessible. Which made my life a bit hit and miss with the elves for a while there...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 05:34:17 pm »

Well, I lied before.  you see, DF is kind of about as peaceful as it will ever get atm.  New emotions, torn down old systems, and new combat/worldgen mechanics have really watered down the blood in this, the newest version of DF.

Presumably it will all be filled out again in the future, but for now many wild animals are no match for civilian aggression (civilians will fight back or even exterminate things they don't like, leading to hilarious curb-stomp events), and what is clearly dangerous doesn't show up with the same frequency/strength as before.
  Goblin sieges sometimes number in the single digits, and ranged combat nerfed.  Not one ambush or kobold thief has been seen in fortress mode.

In adventure mode, most quests are uncompleteable, and what is completable often doesnt grant credit.  I swear, killing a (semi)megabeast/night creature is the only way to get fame, and infamy is almost functionally identical.
  Bandits are not hostile to you unless they use the new ai threat detection system and deem you easy pickings.  Which means a civ will give you a quest to kill a bandit leader and then complain about how unhinged you are for completing it.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 07:46:24 pm »

Gonna say trees, the deaths from trees in the first couple of versions after 2014 came out were amazing, and hilarious.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 07:58:18 pm »

Well, I lied before.  you see, DF is kind of about as peaceful as it will ever get atm.  [...]
  Goblin sieges sometimes number in the single digits, and ranged combat nerfed.  Not one ambush or kobold thief has been seen in fortress mode. [...]
I can't conclude if this is the reality, but I can sure say it was not my first impression.

I had not played for a long while, and made the mistake of colonizing a location too close to goblin settlements, and it didn't even survive the second year. Everything was fine - I had a military(the number of idlers was annoying me, so I made the decision to set up a military a little earlier than I generally would do) composed of a steel armor wrestler and a steel armored, +steel sword+ wielding proficient swordsman - the fort was doing alright. All I saw through the year was just two snatchers(which just ran away at an surprising speed when spotted, leaving my heavy armor wearing soldiers without any chance to strike), and the creatures of the first cave layer would all get instakilled by the military.

Then, the game gave me an announcement of some sort of goblin attack on my fortress. It was a single goblin and two undead - that's it. I was very surprised - never before did I get attacked so early in a fortress - but I thought 3 units shouldn't be much of a problem. Also, they seemed to be very slow.

Well, the goblin was indeed not much of a problem, and easily went down. But then the undead just sprinted towards my military with agility you'd never expect from zombies, slaying both the wrestler and the swordsman with maximum prejudice. Soon enough the two zombies would proceed to slay the entire fort of ~25 dwarves, leaving me with the only option of putting them all into military and issuing an attack order. Which didn't matter anyways, they all went down just as easily as the soldier and wrestler did.

It seems to me there are clearly new opportunities to get a lot of !!FUN!! for these looking for it, and yes, the undead are definitely the new carp. They just aren't very common(or I think so).

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 08:13:47 pm »

The current killer animal, the new random instant killer, the unkillable beast- it is the lack of conflict itself. The lack of conflict is your new main conflict. DF is really peaceful and easy right now, peace everywhere, a lack of gibbs, no super animals. I'd say the most dangerous animal for me is ogres. Ogres always run from the caverns to kill me.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 08:18:12 pm »

It is funny. My fort is in a forest and I never had any tree inccidents.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 08:20:45 pm »

I had 1.  You don't dig deep enough, your dwarves get crushed by decaying roots.
PKs DF Mod!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 08:27:19 pm »

I have kinda accidentally deliberately set entire forests on fire with deliberately accidentally overlarge magma floods which killed a couple of forts unintentionally.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 08:28:52 pm »

I had 1.  You don't dig deep enough, your dwarves get crushed by decaying roots.

Really? The roots are only 1 z-level deep, at least on my map.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4