Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Psychopompos  (Read 16928 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Psychopompos
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2014, 11:46:18 am »

Okay, okay, give it a try, attempt to figure out what fate he's destined to.

You summon up primal magic, letting yourself be suffused by the power of the universe. The fates echo and flicker just out of grasp, calling for you to see - [Arcane 6: 4+2=6, Success] and you do. It is only a glimpse, a feeling, an idea of a destiny crafted by gods at their youngest and most powerful. This sailor was lost with his ship; to the followers of the Storm-Lord, a thing with a soul as much as her crew. He is to be reunited with her and his fellows aboard Steadman's Ark, a vessel the size of worlds, ever sailing the void. A fate of endless work, but also glory and riches beyond the material world - he has lived a brave and faithful life.

The magic leaves your body slowly, as reluctant as a breath. The world seems a lesser place in its absence.

The sailor still awaits. Your choices are not greatly different, but at least you have the truth.

>?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2014, 11:54:16 am »

"Listen bub. You can dissolve into the primordial essence of the multiverse, which would get me in trouble by the way, or you can go to boat heaven with your boat and boat friends for an eternity of glory, riches, and manual labor. Your choice."

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2014, 01:09:45 pm »

"Listen bub. You can dissolve into the primordial essence of the multiverse, which would get me in trouble by the way, or you can go to boat heaven with your boat and boat friends for an eternity of glory, riches, and manual labor. Your choice."
1+

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2014, 04:03:50 pm »

+1 But leave out the part about manual labor.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2014, 04:28:27 pm »

Alternative:

Very well. Come with me and I will take your soul to the great nothingness.

Edit: Due to below, wanted to point out that this is a lie. once he agrees to come with us we take him to this boat.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:37:59 pm by Kashyyk »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2014, 04:33:16 pm »

Though it absolutely goes against the First Rule and all the Bureaucracy stands for, you could actually dissolve his soul. It's not as bad as it sounds - he becomes one with the lifeblood of the universe. Though, looking at it another way, it's be in the same way you'd become one with the universe if you were vaporized by a death ray. Aaaanyway.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2014, 06:33:41 pm »

1+

Brilliant. +1!

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2014, 10:02:35 pm »

1+

Brilliant. +1!

1+

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2014, 05:46:37 am »

1+

Brilliant. +1!

1+

You've had it with coddling him. You're not here to be his mystical therapist.

'Listen, bub,' you start, leaning back and crossing your arms. The change in approach seems to take the bub by surprise. 'You can dissolve into the primordial essence of the multiverse, which would get me in trouble by the way, or you can go to boat heaven with your boat and boat friends for an eternity of glory and riches. Your choice.'

'Steadman's Ark...' the man mutters. He scratches his immaterial head. 'You say it is heaven? I suppose...' [Charm 5: 6+2=8, Success] 'I suppose I do want to see the Holly again. I went over so quickly... not even time to say my farewells. And the fellows, they'd want me to join them. Even if the gods see fit to continue my punishment, at least I'll get to see them again. Bunch of lucky bastards.'

He lets out a deep breath. 'Well, you've sold it to me. Better we get moving before the thing returns to eat what's left of me. There's more of the bloody things every year...'

He shakes his head and takes your hand. You carry him on.

What strikes you first is the terrible, impossibly vast scale. The flashes of fate you summoned told little of the truth. The Ark could swallow continents in its hold without effort. Its enormous, sprawling bulk glimmers in pure starlight, each segment a different ship of wood or steel.

Thousands upon thousands of ships, all proud, ocean-faring giants, have joined the godship, the Ark growing and growing stronger with the passing of centuries. The mismatch of styles and ages seems to gain a sense of singularity and unity in service of divine will.

Beyond Steadman's Ark, the void spreads out in its infinity. Distant stars give off unearthly light. You move swiftly towards your destination and descend to the deck, shadowed by towers of larger and greater ships. The soul seems fearful but eager as you let him go.

He falls to his knees and kisses the deck of the vessel. His form solidifies and seems to grow even stronger, imbued with godly vitality. From the depths of the city, his fellow crew rush out, shouting their greetings.

Before you can leave, a sharp voice addresses you. You see a female shape, not quite a mortal, rise to your side.

'Thank you for returning my lost one, honored Guide. I heard his doubt. It is good it was not allowed to fester,' she says. It occurs to you she is, in all likelihood, the ship's spirit.

For something thinking and living to come out of wood and tar - and the imagination and belief of the crew - would require magic beyond your understanding. The lady of the Holly curtsies shortly before continuing.

'I am aware you only fulfilled your duty. Regardless, it would be only proper if I were to grant you some boon. My power is still young, but I will seek to fulfill whatever you would ask.'

Persuaded Soul: +5XP
Soul Guided: +5XP

>?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 06:36:15 am by Digital Hellhound »

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2014, 10:56:35 am »

I have nothing now that I need. Could I call on you in the future?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2014, 11:01:23 am »

Yeah... Seems good. On another note who wants to bet this is going to go grim fandango on us?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2014, 12:31:44 pm »

never played grim Fandango, what's it about?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2014, 12:34:21 pm »

About this guy in middle management in the Spanish Underworld who discovers that the system is corrupt and goes on a quest with a literal speed demon to reveal the boss and save his true love. Though in this case I'm going to assume the true love thing is far less likely. There's a let's play by Duncan of The Yogscast.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 12:36:48 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2014, 03:31:28 pm »

Yeah... Seems good. On another note who wants to bet this is going to go grim fandango on us?

That seems equitable. Though we have our shit handled right now, it'd be pretty cool if we had backup when we won't.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2014, 06:53:02 pm »

+1
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13