Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarf training and Soldier Tasking fixed yet?  (Read 945 times)

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarf training and Soldier Tasking fixed yet?
« on: December 17, 2014, 04:19:48 am »

I haven't touched DF in a few years, and I was wondering if Toady has sorted out training and tasking of soldiers and particularly training Marksdwarves.
I'm keeping the necromancers busy by feeding them children.

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarf training and Soldier Tasking fixed yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 05:18:43 am »

Marksdwarves train OK for yonks, you just have to have them assigned to training in a barracks before they'll go to any archery target they're assigned to train at. They needed both, may still do. The ammunition problems are a matter of stack size, if they pick up a stack of 25 combat arrows and are only allowed 25 arrows or less they'll never pick up training arrows. Let them carry more arrows than that (300+ per group), problem solved.

Something about stationing and kill orders is broken in the current development version, .40.xx, for some people at least, though I haven't seen it. New benefits are non-military dwarves will seek training all on their own if keen, even young ones, minimum-4 really is a minimum, civilians join in fights if they're the aggressive type, Urist McWitness cancels eat: grieving, you can actually kill enough Goblins that they run out of Goblins to send at you, Kobolds are cleaning people out thanks to the smart sneaking, the hospitals work, recovering wounded doesn't stall. But yeh, perhaps a touch buggy for another few weeks or however long development continues.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 11:24:36 pm »

New benefits are non-military dwarves will seek training all on their own if keen, even young ones, minimum-4 really is a minimum, civilians join in fights if they're the aggressive type.

Huh.My friend got a werelizard incident in which all of his civilians rushed it before his military got there. Result: 4-6 werelizards.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 03:28:45 am »

The ammunition problems are a matter of stack size, if they pick up a stack of 25 combat arrows and are only allowed 25 arrows or less they'll never pick up training arrows. Let them carry more arrows than that (300+ per group), problem solved.
Isn't 25 already at or above the quiver capacity? They can't wear multiple quivers, can they?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:29:14 am »

New benefits are non-military dwarves will seek training all on their own if keen, even young ones, minimum-4 really is a minimum, civilians join in fights if they're the aggressive type.

Huh.My friend got a werelizard incident in which all of his civilians rushed it before his military got there. Result: 4-6 werelizards.

I had a stacks-on at a Giant (the mayor was in the military, I'm pretty sure that even the non-aggressive civilians wanted to defend the mayor for some reason) which was hilarious as the Giant proceeded to throw my civilians, and their clothing, in every direction. It was basically a civilian fountain. Result: several dead, and a lot of broken limbs, a full hospital, and civilian clothing spread in a huge circle around the soon-dead Giant.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »

Oddly enough, I've never had a problem training marksdwarves. It has never seemed bugged, or even tricky. Set up one archery target per trainee, each it's own designated room, (multiple targets per room don't work) and don't give them any other barracks to train at, at least until they've picked up some skill with the crossbow.

Soldiers have always been a bit suicidal, but that's just how dwarven soldiers are. I build my defenses accordingly, i.e. with lots of doors and corners to control line-of-site. With a double bridge system, you can let a few enemies in to your killing grounds at a time.