Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 164052 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #1410 on: January 02, 2015, 01:40:15 pm »

Dying in a typical FPS/stealth game usually just means a quick reload from the last save. The whole game is not ruined because of 1 death; it is not permanently lost.

I would be happy to accept demons in the fort in DF, as long as it was fairly unlikely (demons are lazy bastards). And have you never fought the demons off before? If the demons arrive when the fort has 30 legendary steel clad dwarves and a load of defences, the fort will not be lost.

Why would a simple background check weed out the accomplice if he had never before been involved in suspicious activity?

I do not want the game to be completely predictable. Surprise keeps the game fresh and makes it harder. A pro FPS player could get ambushed by a random pubber and die. But in the next game, he is back and that is unlikely to happen again - it is not a certainty!

I did not say that a game over screen would flash up for no reason at all. That would not be fun, and constitutes an exaggeration of my argument.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: January 02, 2015, 01:42:03 pm »

Hey, have you ever played the ARMA series? I think it would be right up your alley; a battle never goes the same way twice, and it's very realistic. The only problem is awkward controls and they get better as the series goes on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: January 02, 2015, 01:43:16 pm »

Why would a simple background check weed out the accomplice if he had never before been involved in suspicious activity?

And why wouldn't you? You were basically all set for terrorist school and then one day you suddenly had an epiphany and went "wait a minute... Terrorism is wrong!"

And if your documents were fostered or fake that is easy enough to weed out.

As well even if you don't have anything suspicious or fake about you. There are several other characteristics you weed out. For example you do not accept anyone who is in debt or who seems like they can be bribed or bought off.

Also how terribly dull is this stealth game you created where the game STARTS with you already being inside, having the documents, and being able to just leave without any sort of interference whatsoever.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:45:46 pm by Neonivek »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: January 02, 2015, 01:45:24 pm »

Yes, but in a stealth game where it's more or less game over if you get spotted, or on the other end where it's just a time delay, the randomness becomes frustrating., which is not a thing every gamer enjoys.

Simply put, the vast majority of stealth games are more like puzzle games, not least because of the above. They don't have to be, but to appeal to the majority of gamers, they usually are.

Just because your tastes are different, does not make the above argument false.

Also, the topic appears to have changed somewhat. No idea if there's a better thread for this, but if so, might be worth shifting it there.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: January 02, 2015, 01:45:56 pm »

Quote from: Urist Uristurister
30 legendary steel clad dwarves and a load of defences, the fort will not be lost.

You often have these within the first spring? That's pretty impressive.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: January 02, 2015, 01:47:37 pm »

Also, the topic appears to have changed somewhat. No idea if there's a better thread for this, but if so, might be worth shifting it there.

This goes under temporary derail that if it was moved would quickly die off and not revive the current topic.

The best possible way to deal with this is just wait until people are done with this line of thought and other people, when they feel like talking about females in games, will return to this topic and pick up where they left off.

It is a big deal if people want to talk about the main topic but the current discussion is preventing them... but right now I think people are talking a much needed breather after the constant hostility.

Or rather: Not all derails are bad yo
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:49:15 pm by Neonivek »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: January 02, 2015, 01:48:38 pm »

ARMA? Yes, that is one of my favourite games, certainly in the FPS genre. I am only a little annoyed by the lack of a native Linux version.

Despite all those problems, the KGB still managed to recruit spies and get them all the way to the top of US and British intelligence throughout the Cold War. Often counterspies in these countries were shocked to discover the spies, thinking that they were "one of us".

If the demons always arrived in the first spring, that would make the game impossible, and also make little sense with the game's lore, since every settlement would get wiped out by demons during world gen. Having a very small chance of them arriving every year would mean only some forts were destroyed.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: January 02, 2015, 01:50:51 pm »

Also here is another cheat for the PC

They don't have to live in that universe.

Think of it this way... I could bribe you in real life with a REALLY comfy couch. In a videogame? Heck no.

Unless a game actively gives you some sort of benefit, or the game is all about collecting useless junk, there is no reason you need anything. While the characters in the game obviously are motivated by such.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: January 02, 2015, 01:51:46 pm »

That is only true if the player does not role play at all and the character does not have needs. These are not certainties.

For old times' sake.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: January 02, 2015, 01:54:15 pm »

If the demons always arrived in the first spring, that would make the game impossible, and also make little sense with the game's lore, since every settlement would get wiped out by demons during world gen. Having a very small chance of them arriving every year would mean only some forts were destroyed.

It wouldn't be impossible! It would just rely on luck!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: January 02, 2015, 01:56:18 pm »

I do not know how likely you wanted it to be. You mentioned the first spring, but if that is just the extreme worst case then that is fine. What I mean is that I am fine with the chance of it being 1/1000 per month or something like that, so only the odd fort is doomed in the first spring, but not if it is 1/10 per month, so most forts die quickly.

For old times' sake.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: January 02, 2015, 01:56:18 pm »

That is only true if the player does not role play at all and the character does not have needs. These are not certainties.

Characters in the game do not have to roleplay. They are those roles
It is a permanent cheat for the players sake.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: January 02, 2015, 01:57:08 pm »

Why does the player need have cheats for him when he is already smarter than the AI? Staying in character is a very important part of some games, especially pen and paper ones.

For old times' sake.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: January 02, 2015, 02:02:57 pm »

Why does the player need have cheats for him when he is already smarter than the AI? Staying in character is a very important part of some games, especially pen and paper ones.

Because you can remove this cheat.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: January 02, 2015, 02:04:36 pm »

I do not quite understand what you are saying. Yes, the player can act out of character, but he may not want to. The game could be designed around the player not doing this. Nothing stops the player from acting out of character, but he will not enjoy the game as much if he does.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 125