Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 164139 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #1380 on: January 02, 2015, 10:42:37 am »

One of the older Unreal Tournament games had decent AI opponents(by my standards, I ain't too great an FPS player)... With smacktalk and everything.  Too bad that stuff ain't common.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: January 02, 2015, 11:13:41 am »

Well, it depends on the kind of game you're playing.

Which kind of games throw freebies to the player, and which do not?
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: January 02, 2015, 11:23:29 am »

In shooters the enemy AI is less able to perform the same movements, have the weapon variety, or understand the strategy used by the player.
In strategy games the AI is more stupid than the player, and so is at a disadvantage.
(what other genres have AI that you compete against?)
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: January 02, 2015, 11:30:33 am »

One of the older Unreal Tournament games had decent AI opponents(by my standards, I ain't too great an FPS player)... With smacktalk and everything.  Too bad that stuff ain't common.

WITNESS MY PERFECTION

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: January 02, 2015, 12:01:30 pm »

Gameplay doesn't disappear if everybody else is as strong as the player.
Fun does not disappear when the player ceases to be a demigod in a land of ordinary mortals with special help from RNGesus.
My main objection is that earlier somebody said that the reason many games give the player freebies and elevate him above everybody else is that gameplay would suffer otherwise. I thought that that was a strange assumption to make when some games gave the player no advantages and still were somehow not ruined.

I did not say putting the player on equal footing will ruin your game. I said some games give the player an advantage because they're more fun that way. That doesn't mean every game should.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: January 02, 2015, 12:05:06 pm »

It really just depends on the game, there is no formula to how the main character should be in a videogame or how the game world should work with them.

A lot of games that just give you a severe disadvantage compared to everyone else are extremely fun.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: January 02, 2015, 12:18:41 pm »

In shooters the enemy AI is less able to perform the same movements, have the weapon variety, or understand the strategy used by the player.
In strategy games the AI is more stupid than the player, and so is at a disadvantage.
(what other genres have AI that you compete against?)

My objection was not to the AI being dumber than the player, but when it was actually handicapped (cannot use health kits, worse weapons, scripted to always do exactly the same thing and so on). Of course the player will usually be smarter than the AI, but some were saying that the AI was actually disadvantaged deliberately in some cases.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: January 02, 2015, 12:22:19 pm »

A good number of those things are core for a stealth game to work. If the AI didn't act in a predictable way then whether you succeeded or failed would be pretty much random.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: January 02, 2015, 12:23:59 pm »

It really just depends on the game, there is no formula to how the main character should be in a videogame or how the game world should work with them.

A lot of games that just give you a severe disadvantage compared to everyone else are extremely fun.

I disagree: I *hate* losing to an AI that is a cheating bastard, which the disadvantage tends to be - the computer magicooly having Fantasy Magical Spy Satellite, or gathering resources faster or what have you.

On the other hand, a disadvantage as in 'you're on equal footing but with less resources', such as, say, starting as a count in Crusader Kings, is fine.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: January 02, 2015, 12:26:54 pm »

You are referring to just flat out bad game design.

If the AI is cheating and you feel cheated... then that isn't really appropriate. OR it is just a compromise because the AI cannot be improved as with most very early RTS games.

AI War for example... the AI cheats like MAD! but that is intentional, the AI is meant to cheat. It always has resources and abilities you will never be able to obtain. In fact you can even select how much of a cheating bastard the AI will be.

Yet that isn't the flaw of the game. You are playing because the AI cheats like mad.

Likewise in Doom enemies go down rather quickly and you can blow through a lot of them in rather quick succession, as they do not have your intense stamina and health. While enemies rarely have your firepower. Is that a flaw?

Well no, the game isn't meant to have that sharp a edge. You are meant to use your resources skillfully over many enemies... and the game is a LOT more fun then the alternative.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:33:12 pm by Neonivek »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: January 02, 2015, 12:38:13 pm »

A good number of those things are core for a stealth game to work. If the AI didn't act in a predictable way then whether you succeeded or failed would be pretty much random.

Why? You are still smarter than the AI even if nobody has handicapped it. In multiplayer games, the enemy's actions can still be predicted, but not with certainty. In the same way, predicting the actions of an AI not on rails is possible, the player just cannot be certain. The uncertainty adds suspense and challenge to the game.

For old times' sake.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: January 02, 2015, 12:40:06 pm »

Why? You are still smarter than the AI even if nobody has handicapped it. In multiplayer games, the enemy's actions can still be predicted, but not with certainty. In the same way, predicting the actions of an AI not on rails is possible, the player just cannot be certain. The uncertainty adds suspense and challenge to the game.
Because a stealth game is a puzzle game with a paintjob that you can relate to in real terms. If you make the actions more random then you can't be sure that it won't become unsolvable.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 02, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »

Because in real life stealth is pretty much impossible the way it is shown in games.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 02, 2015, 12:46:17 pm »

Because a stealth game is a puzzle game with a paintjob that you can relate to in real terms. If you make the actions more random then you can't be sure that it won't become unsolvable.

I have no idea what a stealth game is anymore. I thought they were mostly about jumping around, winning unfair fights with big numbers of handicapped enemies, and not being very stealthy at all. Maybe the people I saw playing Assassin's Creed were the wrong sort of players...

If they want to be puzzle games, should they not just be so openly?

For old times' sake.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1394 on: January 02, 2015, 12:47:16 pm »

I wouldn't call AssCred a stealth game. Metal Gear comes to mind.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 125