Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 163935 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #510 on: December 18, 2014, 02:19:20 pm »

So the ship shoots its engine onto the ground. Ion thrusters only really work in space to my knowledge, due to the presence of other ions in atmospheres, so the spacecraft must be blasting ions down from orbit with phenomenal intensity, though of course this orbit could be very low if there is no atmosphere! Some of these ions would of course get caught in the atmosphere (if there is one), reducing the "cannon"'s power (can this really be called a cannon at all?) The blast would change its orbit of course, raising it further into space and wasting a lot of fuel. I doubt such a beam would be a very good method of attack at all. Why not just drop a tactical nuclear/antimatter weapon on it?

Ion engines are very fuel efficient indeed, but seriously weaponising them is a step too far, even for DF players.

Of course, if you have any devious ideas, feel free to share them.

My comments about Japan mobilising women were purely about jobs and the economy. It was 2 separate points - 1, that Japan had many women out of work and this was hurting them a bit, and 2, that those cartoons and games others were discussing with almost naked girls and other stupid stuff were rubbish.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:22:16 pm by Urist Uristurister »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 18, 2014, 02:20:30 pm »

And there goes the derail
It's FEF, not FEOF

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 18, 2014, 02:22:07 pm »

I think this thread is just made out of derails, and any attempt to rerail it is a derail...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 18, 2014, 02:22:14 pm »

That's in Starcraft, not in the original show. The show doesn't have the ship hovering 50 meters above the land fighting battles against footsoldiers. That's a limit of the game engine of Starcraft not a thing about the weapon they stole the name from.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 18, 2014, 02:22:44 pm »

I'd rather derail than bans. Anyway, the discussion before was pretty much dead since pretty much the entirety of the "games are unacceptably sexist" camp hasn't been posting.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 18, 2014, 02:23:42 pm »

This is general discussion, to discuss general things. Derailing is fine here. Have you seen a general discussion on a forum before?

I wouldn't call "That's in Starcraft" a devious idea. I meant about how the damn thing works, and how to make it so...(DF mentality)

This discussion is very much alive. It has just moved away from the original subject - as discussions do.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 18, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »

GD means that the subforum isn't constrained by topic, not that an individual thread shouldn't be.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 18, 2014, 02:27:42 pm »

That's not how the General Discussion board works. Viewing it that way leads to the hell that is VN.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut let's go ahead with this until something relevant reappears. Because bans are indeed bad.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 18, 2014, 02:28:29 pm »

I wouldn't call "That's in Starcraft" a devious idea. I meant about how the damn thing works, and how to make it so...(DF mentality)
It's irrelevant when Loud Whispers was referencing the Japanese anime. It's called context. The Starcraft reference is an easter egg. It's like citing fan fiction as canon material.

So the ship shoots its engine onto the ground. Ion thrusters only really work in space to my knowledge

The show is called Space Battleship Yamato. 10 cents per guess on where it's set. If they shot at the ground, they'd blow themselves up because the thing is a last-resort weapon for taking out large asteroids or enemy fleets. It actually fucks the ship up for a while after firing so they don't use it very often in the series. I think in 26 episodes they used it 3-4 times. In other words, the thing is a complete energy discharge using the engine system but drains a lot more power than just flying around does.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:36:53 pm by Reelya »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 18, 2014, 02:29:09 pm »

That's not how the General Discussion board works. Viewing it that way leads to the hell that is VN.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut let's go ahead with this until something relevant reappears. Because bans are indeed bad.

VN? Sorry, I don't understand that acronym. I know .vn is the top level domain for Viet Nam...

About ion thrusters...why would they blow themselves up by thrusting an engine at the ground? Unless the engine is on such massive overdrive that the Gs (acceleration) or heat would kill them, in which case the same thing would happen when doing it in space. Newton's 3rd law and all that.

Ion engines are not known for their massive thrust anyway. They are used mainly for their great efficiency.

I probably just do not understand how it works, but using an ion engine as a weapon just seems weird to me.

If you want to get an asteroid out of the way, just dodging it or knocking/pushing it a little aside makes a lot more sense than utterly destroying it. Space distances are so big that a small push of 1 degree off course will usually make an asteroid miss a planet or object if it is heading for it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:35:58 pm by Urist Uristurister »

For old times' sake.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 18, 2014, 02:30:35 pm »

VN? Sorry, I don't understand that acronym. I know .vn is the top level domain for Viet Nam...
Various Nonsense, the predecessor to GD. It got nuked after a massive avatar fad got out of control and the thread started jumping around the forum.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 18, 2014, 02:32:38 pm »

Various Nonsense. The predecessor to the modern lower boards which was destroyed by Toady due to being pure chaos and pointlessness. I don't think the penguin avatar fad was the main catalyst though. I think it was the roaming battleship thread. Many of the details have been lost to the ages.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 18, 2014, 02:33:53 pm »

Various Nonsense. The predecessor to the modern lower boards which was destroyed by Toady due to being pure chaos and pointlessness. I don't think the penguin avatar fad was the main catalyst though. I think it was the roaming battleship thread. Many of the details have been lost to the ages.
Best to leave it this way. All I know is that it involved penguins and the battleship thread.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #523 on: December 18, 2014, 02:34:02 pm »

It's irrelevant when Loud Whispers was referencing the Japanese anime. It's called context.
I only know of the starcraft Yamato cannon, and even then I was just talking about Japan's Yamato cannons being fired

Metaphors gys pls don't fire Yamato cannons over the Yamato cannons

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 18, 2014, 04:11:01 pm »

Best to leave it this way. All I know is that it involved penguins and the battleship thread.
Also, lots of yuri.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 125