Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 163924 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #495 on: December 18, 2014, 01:30:51 pm »

YAMATO CANNONS FIRED

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 18, 2014, 01:31:16 pm »

Just gonna ptw this. I might contribute later,though.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 18, 2014, 01:40:56 pm »

I... don't think that's how economics work

Please elaborate a little. How does having a shrinking, ageing population and negative attitudes to women having long careers not hinder an economy?

I am fine with being wrong, but you have to be right first.

Reelya: I am very ignorant about Japanese comics, but you are equally ignorant about American ones if you think they "literally all" have superheroes in them and none are mature. Obviously Watchmen is off limits for those who do not like superheroes, but have you read Maus?

Loud Whispers: The Yamato was a massive waste of money that got sunk by US aeroplanes a fraction of its price. The Pacific campaign of World War 2 was, to risk sounding vulgar, largely a case of "America, Fuck Yeah!" and "Japan, Suck No!"

Unless, of course, you are referring to a cannon that shoots people of the Yamato (Japanese) race, which I would just consider inhumane, or designed by them, in which case it is just like any other cannon, only with more racial superiority complex.

Regarding "culture war", Japan took China's characters, so it has hardly been going on forever. I would say the Mongol invasion may have started it, but the Imjin war got it going in earnest.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:49:03 pm by Urist Uristurister »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 18, 2014, 01:48:29 pm »

The Japanese birthrate is about the same as Germany, and is actually higher than a number of other countries. The United States also has a fertility rate below replacement level (and the USA is on the high side compared to rich European nations). The issue isn't Japans lack of fertility compared to other rich countries, it's their disinclination to raising immigration rates
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:51:48 pm by Reelya »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 18, 2014, 01:49:53 pm »

The Japanese birthrate is about the same as Germany. The United States also has a fertility rate below replacement level (and the USA is on the high side compared to rich European nations). The issue isn't Japans lack of fertility compared to other rich countries, it's their disinclination to raising immigration rates.

True. That is a major part of it which I forgot to mention.

They are more aged than any other major nation to my knowledge, though.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #500 on: December 18, 2014, 01:51:42 pm »

Loud Whispers: The Yamato was a massive waste of money that got sunk by US aeroplanes a fraction of its price. The Pacific campaign of World War 2 was, to risk sounding vulgar, largely a case of "America, Fuck Yeah!" and "Japan, Suck No!"
Unless, of course, you are referring to a cannon that shoots people of the Yamato (Japanese) race, which I would just consider inhumane, or designed by them, in which case it is just like any other cannon, only with more racial superiority complex.
Regarding "culture war", Japan took China's characters, so it has hardly been going on forever. I would say the Mongol invasion may have started it, but the Imjin war got it going in earnest.
You're fond of taking things rather literally a bit

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 18, 2014, 01:53:11 pm »

What is the figurative meaning of a Yamato cannon, then?

For old times' sake.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 18, 2014, 01:54:06 pm »

One thing that economists talk about is that high birth rates are actually associated with more women working: because families with kids need more income. When you don't have kids, having dual incomes isn't so important. So many married Japanese women don't work, but they're also not tied down with kids either:

In other rich countries, higher birth rates nearly always accompany higher female employment, and in Japan itself the birth rate is higher in the countryside, where more women work, than in the big cities, where fewer do.

So you can see there is at least a little complexity to the relationship. Sure we want a growing economy and population with more women working, but not at the expense of tying women down with kids. So I'd hardly say that the west's "more kids per woman / more women working" is a 100% blessing for women.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:58:57 pm by Reelya »

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 18, 2014, 01:57:32 pm »

The massive blast weapon in Starcraft 2 by the same name?
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Yamato_cannon
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 18, 2014, 01:59:30 pm »

He's just saying "Shots fired!" with a twist because of Reelya's response to your criticisms and saying all their games and cartoons suck which was a rather nonobjective and potentially derailing statement and so it is very good how mature your responses afterwards have been, since part of the joke is that there is a danger to said aspect of the discussion taking over the thread once introduced in such a way.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:02:23 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 18, 2014, 01:59:41 pm »

That originates in the 1974 anime Space Battleship Yamato actually. Starcraft is referencing it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #506 on: December 18, 2014, 02:00:01 pm »

SHOTS FIRED

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 18, 2014, 02:02:33 pm »

Reelya: I am very ignorant about Japanese comics, but you are equally ignorant about American ones if you think they "literally all" have superheroes in them and none are mature. Obviously Watchmen is off limits for those who do not like superheroes, but have you read Maus?

I know some occasional cool things exist, but they're pretty damn rare.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 18, 2014, 02:05:42 pm »

One thing that economists talk about is that high birth rates are actually associated with more women working: because families with kids need more income. When you don't have kids, having dual incomes isn't so important. So many married Japanese women don't work, but they're also not tied down with kids either:

In other rich countries, higher birth rates nearly always accompany higher female employment, and in Japan itself the birth rate is higher in the countryside, where more women work, than in the big cities, where fewer do.

So you can see there is at least a little complexity to the relationship.

Very interesting. It still seems like Japan's economy would be in a better state if more married women worked, especially the childless ones whose families do not need an adult staying at home.

That "Yamato cannon" thingy looks like a tactical nuclear weapon of some sort. The explosions look suspiciously small for something of that power - a concentrated beam of that much energy would burn a massive hole in the ground at least. Unfortunately there is no explanation as to what is done with the radioactive fallout - or is it a fusion explosion?

I said "most of", not "all of", and said that many would say the same for the US and many other places.

For old times' sake.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 18, 2014, 02:08:14 pm »

The Yamato cannon is basically the results of firing an Ion Drive or similar at full thrust out the front of the ship. The thing is actually the engine, and runs the whole length of the ship.

My comments were mainly targeted at your statement that Japan hadn't mobilized women specifically in the comics, cartoons and games field. Less shoujo mangas get made into games than action mangas, but drama isn't really well suited to games adaptations (has anyone done Jane Austen novels as games?). But there are a whole lot of women's media franchises in Japan, including comics, cartoons and live action TV / movies. Plus Otome games, these are games aimed at women, some of which get turned into TV shows as well. Otome games feature female main characters and usually a host of sexualized male side-characters.

The main reason most people in the West don't know about this is that the USA only pushes the kid's and boys / action type stuff (Dragon Ball, Pokemon etc). That's more to do with what works in the US market than what Japan makes. When was the last time a shoujo anime got on TV in America?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:17:24 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 125