Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 163837 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #405 on: December 17, 2014, 02:19:24 pm »

A warrior's a fighter and a soldier's a member of an army.
Soldiers are warriors, warriors are fighters.
Edit: but not every warrior is a soldier. :P
It's soldiers all the way down

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 17, 2014, 02:21:25 pm »

I think we can all agree, the hierarchy of cool-sounding jobs goes like this, from most to least:
Warrior
Soldier
Fighter
Guy who keeps starting fights
Guy who keeps losing fights

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 17, 2014, 02:22:27 pm »

I think "guy who loses one fight" is below that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 17, 2014, 02:25:26 pm »

Nah, starting fights and losing them constantly is worse then learning your lesson with one fight.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 17, 2014, 02:39:28 pm »

I was implying that they probably died.  It's a bit impressive to surviving many losing battles.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 17, 2014, 02:51:59 pm »

I never assumed that warriors and soldiers were entirely separate categories; soldiers are warriors within organised armies.

Physical strength is important in combat, but speed and especially endurance matter just as much and weapon skill is also very important.

In some parts of the world, like Arabia at the time of the early Muslims, duels to the death between commanders and champions preceded battles as their troops watched, with the aim of boosting morale in the winning side and weakening in the losing side as well as potentially decapitating the enemy army by killing its leaders. The Muslim champions usually won these duels and the resulting morale boost helped their armies to win an astonishing series of victories, along with the superb leadership and tactics of Khalid ibn al-Walid and other generals, who himself killed a big number of men in duels and was a huge champion wrestler. Apart from these duels, most of the period's armies fought in formations as everyone did who had leaders in possession of brains. Muslims used tight ranks of spearmen with archers behind and quick, mobile cavalry units.

The same habit of duelling before a battle was common among Russian druzhina and many other cultures I am sure you can mention...well, I hope you can.

Individual combat does not mean non lethal at all. Combat can be individual, a skirmish or a battle, and lethal or non lethal. These things are not really connected, although battles are usually very lethal.

Ah, battle casualties. Battle deaths on the losing side only reached more than half if the army was utterly routed and/or trapped. Deaths in the main phase of the battle, before one army ran away, were usually about 1 in 10. Most deaths happened in the rout. If both armies withdrew in order, no higher casualty rates than that could be expected, so surviving multiple defeats was perfectly possible.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:53:33 pm by Urist Uristurister »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2014, 03:08:20 pm »

This is delving into an >>>AGG derail

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 17, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »

Top 5 female characters in videogames. Go.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 17, 2014, 03:18:27 pm »

Top by what criteria? Best written? Most badass? Most appearances? Most well liked? Most original?

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 17, 2014, 03:23:16 pm »

Top 5 female characters in videogames. Go.
5.Quelaag from Dark Souls because flaming spider-bitch
4.That one chick from in your X-Com squad who kicked ass and did die
3.That one chick from in your X-Com squad who kicked ass and didn't die
2.Samus Aran because badass
1.Chie from Persona 4 because STEAK

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 17, 2014, 03:28:33 pm »

Iji (Iji)
Dr. Mossman (Half Life 2)
Flora Guillen (Farcry 2)
GLaDOS (Portal 2)
Zoey (Left4Dead)
Honorable mention: Father-Mother (Zeno Clash)

I kinda rushed that (and had to scan my steam library for ideas) but I'd stand by all of them.  I specifically didn't include Chell because she's a character-less Shell for the player (compared to GLaDOS).  And Alyx Vance is probably the most respectfully done love interest I've seen in a video game (except maybe for the one in Sequence) and a well-developed character by non-Valve standards, but Mossman's story and characterization are a bit better.
She/they

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #416 on: December 17, 2014, 03:31:44 pm »

I'm just doing my favourite.
1. 'Miriam Godwinson' from Alpha Centauri. WE MUST DISSENT.
2. 'Alice' from original Murrican Mcgee's Alice in Wonderland. The sequel was rushed, but you can't hate Alice.
3. 'Alexandra Roivas' from Eternal Darkness. Refreshingly sane in an insane world.
4. 'GLaDOS' from both portals. As a villain she is too good.
5. 'Alma' from F.E.A.R. because she terrifies me and resembles god damn Nippon ghosts.
Honourable mention 'Claire Redfield' from Resident Evil 2 onwards. Starts off fish in the apocalypse, ends up operator as fuck.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:36:36 pm by Loud Whispers »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 17, 2014, 03:33:23 pm »

It's pretty hard for me to choose top 5 female heroes out of multiple dozens, but the first one for me is definitely Catherine, for restoring her country from ruins and kicking untold amount of ass out of everybody, including demons, undead, elves, elementals... even the player party!

(yes, you can get instantly killed by her (her guards, specifically) if you make a stupid choice in one of the games)
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 17, 2014, 03:38:21 pm »

I should state there are a few games that did feature both male and female versions of soldiers where the female soldiers were the inferior product (usually for good reason)

Kessen had female troops and for the most part they weren't very impressive. Though in that case the unit was both historical and even within the context of the game the unit was odd...

And in Mount and Blade women troops are capped at terrible no matter how much you train them (bonus that they are the hardest troop in the game to obtain in real quantities) with only story important females are able to be competent.

One Golf game for the PS2 that I cannot remember... had female golfers in the game (the ones you made had no penalty mind you) and even the best female golfer of the game pretty much sat as the Queen of the Losers in spite being the greatest female golfer in real life. Yet this was because her golf ability was actually accurately represented in the game. She was actually quite skilled but her undoing was her lack of swing strength, so on par 3 she is competitive... but Par 5 just having a lumberjack is usually enough to make her lag behind.

Other then a few select people who would throw a stink... I don't think players as a whole would object to realistic portrayals of female ability so long as it feels like it isn't doing so out of malice.

For example a military game that gives accurate carrying weights for both male and female troops shouldn't be called out.

But I should say that for the most part... games usually don't have any reason to really play it up. Which is why it isn't generally done. For both the "fantasy", "Heroic", and "Power Fantasy" aspect. Heck all three of the ones I mentioned are because they have some aspect of realism OR represent a highly sexist system in play that isn't overcome just because you want it to.

As well if they do give differences based on gender... they have to do it in good faith.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:45:15 pm by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 17, 2014, 03:44:23 pm »

what's this? SHODAN doesnt even get an honorable mention?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 125