Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 163678 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #315 on: December 17, 2014, 02:12:16 am »

That game went out of its way to try to be "Straight" or "Gay"-- with "No romance" getting the "ZOMG! ISSUES!" choice.  I didn't like that. My orientation is just as valid as anyone else's you know. I rally like talia's character, and would totally talk programming with her for instance-- but I wouldnt try to date her.  The game often mistook my intellectual interest in her character for "Oh! He wants quarian booty!" and that made me displeased. Same with asking questions of the matriarch's daughter-- "Oh, you want BLUE CHICK BOOTY!"  Nooooooo NO NO! --- Damnit! Excuse me for just being curious about other cultures, and wanting to get to know my crewmates!

After you snub all the female interests, the game then goes "OH! You must be GAY then!" on me, and has Kaidan make his gay romance pronouncement totally out of the blue.  Seriously-- No. just no. That character was dropping totally pervy hetero one-liners the whole game previously. Either he's REALLY in the closet and has an ego problem that he feels he needs to compensate for-- or that whole thing just does not fit.  Sorry Mass Effect writers, but I actually pay attention to the characters.

I didnt like how the game tried to find a mold I was supposed to fit into, and kept grasping wildly trying to figure out what kind of booty call I wanted.  I was especially disappointed that they played the "My heart was broken too many times! I have seperation issues! YOu can never understand me! BOO HOO!" as the rationale for no-romance male shepherd. How about "you know, I'm just not into sex. It's not my thing. If you guys are having trouble being cooped up on the ship, we can stop at the citadel for shoreleave ok? Just come back to the ship by 08:00, and whatever happens out there, stays out there, ok? When we get back, let's try to focus on getting rid of those reevers alright?"

Asexuals get snubbed everywhere.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 17, 2014, 02:14:49 am »

Wow, that's really disappointing to read.  I guess I'll put ME2 off a bit longer.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 17, 2014, 02:23:05 am »

Garrus' romance is actually a bit better about that since the option is really in-your-face which one leads to romance and it's pretty easy to avoid it if you want, especially since it's pretty much entirely Shepard's idea for it.
But yeah manshep kinda gets Kirk'd a lot.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 17, 2014, 02:57:19 am »

Garrus' romance is actually a bit better about that since the option is really in-your-face which one leads to romance and it's pretty easy to avoid it if you want, especially since it's pretty much entirely Shepard's idea for it.
But yeah manshep kinda gets Kirk'd a lot.

Don't get me started on Captain Kirk. That guy...  Considering the degree that gene-swapping between completely alien species goes on in that universe, Dr. McCoy must have some crazy horse-tranquilizer sized prophylactics on hand for the good captain, or Kirk is single handedly spreading every known STD across the cosmos.  No kirk, your order to 'Go where no man has gone before" is NOT supposed to be taken THAT WAY! NO. JUST NO.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 17, 2014, 03:07:34 am »

See, this is why Picard is the better captain. He takes the sensible approach to new alien species. Although, really, which approach is the sensible one could be pretty subjective.
I still vote Janeway for best captain. She's a strong, independent captain who don't need no man. Plus, she actually gets off the bridge and socializes with crew members that I'm pretty sure Picard would have seen as beneath his station.

some crazy horse-tranquilizer sized prophylactics on hand for the good captain,
"Damn it, Jim! I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker!"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 17, 2014, 03:12:02 am »

I have just read this thread from the beginning. It was not an easy journey.

Bay12, you're the best. You have a fight about a bunch of stuff and then I find you talking about womanizing in Star Trek.
I approve.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 17, 2014, 03:18:34 am »

I still vote Janeway for best captain. She's a strong, independent captain who don't need no man. Plus, she actually gets off the bridge and socializes with crew members that I'm pretty sure Picard would have seen as beneath his station.
I don't get all that contentious about Star Trek, but I think there should be a special mention for the Evil Janeway of that one episode with the badly misconstrued history. Even though she was in-universe a fictional creation, Evil Janeway puts all of the other mirror characters to shame. She apparently robbed the Borg. The mirror Borg.
Quote from: Evil Janeway
Defeat? Genocide? Why quibble with semantics?
She's just the kind of audacious evil that leaves you in slack-jawed awe.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 17, 2014, 03:31:37 am »

I'd like to point out that Janeway willfully murders a crew member, after said crew member and the rest of the crew beg her not to. Normal Janeway, no alternate universe stuff. She's a murderer and it's portrayed as right for no other reason than to maintain the status quo.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 17, 2014, 03:35:16 am »

Is this the "Tuvix" episode?

Because I called bullshit on the whole "ooh! What do we do!?" aspect of that one.  You know this one episode waaaaaaaay back in TNG? You know, in cannonical order, many many years before Voyager leaves space dock? So long ago in fact, that it should be in voyager's computer core, and being such a high profile thing that every transporter chief in starfleet would probably of heard about it?

Yeah. No way they could replicate that accident, then split one of the clones.  No, that could never happen. Never.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 17, 2014, 03:45:21 am »

Yes, I was referring to Tuvix.

Star Trek runs on BS anyway, the transporters have more than once been shown as a fountain of youth. They're able to reverse artificial aging processes without obliterating memory, which means they are the key to immortality. It's never addressed.

My point was there's a self-aware, sapient crew member that gets murdered for literally no other reason than to maintain the status quo, and it's completely forgotten about. At least when Enterprise cloned Trip they felt guilty about the clone only living a few days.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 17, 2014, 03:52:36 am »

Agreed. But this kind of callousness goes all the way back to TOS.

In one (horribly written) episode, Kirk gets scrambled by the transporter, and gets transporter cloned-- but one clone is super spineless, and the other is murderously evil.

Solution? Kill both spineless kirk and evil kirk, to get womanizer STD spreading kirk back.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 17, 2014, 03:55:43 am »

They should have just replaced him with alternate universe Nazi Kirk

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 17, 2014, 04:02:12 am »

Even better still:  Lock on to evil universe kirk, beam him aboard and split HIM into good and evil doubles, then combine both good clones into "Super Plus good" kirk, and combine the evil kirks into "Super Minus Bad" Kirk, then keep good kirk, and send evil kirk back.

(LOL!)

Clearly, this would only IMPROVE the career options of BOTH kirks.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:08:46 am by wierd »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 17, 2014, 04:13:37 am »

what have I done
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 17, 2014, 04:15:19 am »

How about with the fusion thing, you split both spock and kirk, and combine good spock with evil kirk, and good kirk with evil spock? The good/evil ratio will be maintained and both entities get the full knowledge and skills of each. They can be called Spurk and Kock.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 125