Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 125

Author Topic: Females in Games? Thread  (Read 164230 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Females in Games? Thread
« Reply #1290 on: December 28, 2014, 06:58:11 pm »

I remember Bully where there was a scene of date rape. Except it was woman on man where she drugged him with dangerous chemicals to knock him out and dragged him to her home. Game is still rated T though... I have no idea how that got by the censors.
If it wanted to bully could get away with a lot of shit, because it's so obviously comedy. Even the 'serious' bits get played for laughs at some point, largely based on how absurdly exaggerated all of the personalities and reactions of... everything are. The police are all hyper-aggressive and demeaning towards everyone, adults are all crotchety and hate the kids, there's the cliques, the prefects are all abusing power and hugely anal about rules, there's the obvious cliques, and whatever other examples are going. And on top of that, the most important difference from GTA is that nobody ever dies. No matter what happens they're just unconscious and will show up some time later. That on its own makes anything bad seem... less bad.

Also because Edna is one of the best staff characters. It's like everything she does causes a flood of character.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 28, 2014, 08:12:34 pm »

I would like to point out that a lack of correlation does not imply a lack of causation - the fact that violence has fallen since doom does not, on its own, imply that video games do not cause violence.

I think the effect of DF vs GTA depends on the player. Some people will read "You punch the X in the head. It explodes in gore!" and think nothing of it. For some people, DF is so abstract that they can't even interpret what is going on. How gory each game is depends on what you consider to be gore. I know a lot of people that would not consider (or even recognise) a superscript "2" to be gore. If the player does not register what is going on as violence, then I can't imagine it could have any impact on them whatsoever. Note: There are also people I know who wouldn't recognise what goes on in GTA as violence because they have trouble even interpreting what is going on.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 28, 2014, 09:50:57 pm »

Well the major criticism now is that games like Grand Theft Auto invite violence against women because it includes people like prostitutes or women who wear revealing clothing because it encourages the player to incite violence against them, while at the same time not affording these women any special exemption or protection against this violence.

Which is quite impressive a thought when you consider the parallels and the implications.

To be fair, you're encouraged to murder *everyone* in those games. Dunno if those games have rent boys, though. That might be a cool equaliser.

Violent crime has fallen since Doom and other violent games came out. The worst US school massacre was in 1927. And you are on a discussion board for one of the most violent (in terms of the acts possible) games around. That argument is utterly discredited, even more so when someone here says it. If you think FPS trash talk is different from the typical attitude of a middle school canteen...

This is true. Banning leaded petrol did more to reduce violent crime than censoring media will ever do. I don't think censoring such things is ever the way to go. Games like GTA are already restricted to 18+ if you want to go the "but the childrens!" route.

The comparison to DF is nice, as well. I've played the game for years and years. Still don't have a desire to drop people into spiked pits or pour lava over them. Or any of the less theatrical violence that goes on there. Though I do know a lot more about geology now (yay Sphalerite!) GTA probably teaches valuable lessons to people too. Such as - being a criminal is usually for horrible people, and to stay out of the hood at night. :P

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 28, 2014, 09:52:50 pm »

Well the major criticism now is that games like Grand Theft Auto invite violence against women because it includes people like prostitutes or women who wear revealing clothing because it encourages the player to incite violence against them, while at the same time not affording these women any special exemption or protection against this violence.

Which is quite impressive a thought when you consider the parallels and the implications.

To be fair, you're encouraged to murder *everyone* in those games. Dunno if those games have rent boys, though. That might be a cool equaliser.

Violent crime has fallen since Doom and other violent games came out. The worst US school massacre was in 1927. And you are on a discussion board for one of the most violent (in terms of the acts possible) games around. That argument is utterly discredited, even more so when someone here says it. If you think FPS trash talk is different from the typical attitude of a middle school canteen...

This is true. Banning leaded petrol did more to reduce violent crime than censoring media will ever do. I don't think censoring such things is ever the way to go. Games like GTA are already restricted to 18+ if you want to go the "but the childrens!" route.

The comparison to DF is nice, as well. I've played the game for years and years. Still don't have a desire to drop people into spiked pits or pour lava over them. Or any of the less theatrical violence that goes on there. Though I do know a lot more about geology now (yay Sphalerite!) GTA probably teaches valuable lessons to people too. Such as - being a criminal is usually for horrible people, and to stay out of the hood at night. :P

Small sidenote: Any "age restrictions" on video games are not governmentally mandated and are simply guidelines. Company policies often support the guidelines, but they don't have to.

At least in murrika.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 28, 2014, 10:26:26 pm »

Plus, I know I got many games above my age restriction just by asking parents to buy it. I mean, as long as the parents are pushovers, age restriction changes nothing.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 28, 2014, 10:36:33 pm »

Plus, I know I got many games above my age restriction just by asking parents to buy it. I mean, as long as the parents are pushovers, age restriction changes nothing.

You can also get alcohol, tobacco, knives and guns in this way. I think they're a little more dangerous than video games where you blow up imaginary characters.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 28, 2014, 10:39:19 pm »

This isn't governmental.

You can also get alcohol, tobacco, knives and guns in this way. I think they're a little more dangerous than video games where you blow up imaginary characters.

Ohhh but this is.

How hard can I stress that it is not illegal for 7 year olds to play GTA? The Federal government is not allowed to regulate video games. Or movies!

This has nothing to do with the subject matter. Back on the rails with you!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 28, 2014, 11:07:04 pm »

How hard can I stress that it is not illegal for 7 year olds to play GTA? The Federal government is not allowed to regulate video games. Or movies!

This has nothing to do with the subject matter. Back on the rails with you!

It's not illegal for kids to drink alcohol or smoke either, but...

Anyway yeah, small derail.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 28, 2014, 11:21:50 pm »

Female mooks, if you mean henchmen, are rare among humans. While there being absolutely none does not seem quite right, they should be a minority (in the widely accepted use of the term) unless there is a good reason otherwise (the King of Dahomey's bodyguard, for example, were also his wives).

Well.

0_0

Did not know that. Bay12 is always educational.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 28, 2014, 11:27:07 pm »

Well.

0_0

Did not know that. Bay12 is always educational.

Hey, don't underestimate the importance of having a bodyguard while you're drunk in the bedroom. If you're unlucky like Genghis Khan, this works the opposite way and your mistress kills you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 29, 2014, 12:04:44 am »

Well... How? You earn money but it is insignificant amounts of cash.

Then later on when you could rob stores... but you earn more money if you do it without killing them.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:23:18 am by Neonivek »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 29, 2014, 12:21:55 am »

Well... How? You earn money but it is insignificant amounts of cash.

I remember most of the way I got money in that game was running over random people for their loot, hookers included.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 29, 2014, 02:49:06 am »

Someone once accused me of being racist against the Jews (even though I am Jewish) for being dissapointed that the movie adaptation of "At the Mountains of Madness" was canceled.
Um, I'm sorry? Judaism is a religion, so can that even count as racism?

On the subject of game ratings(and censorship in general), do they even doing anything? Isn't censoring the world fundamentally worse than preparing youth to face it's truths?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 29, 2014, 02:58:26 am »

Someone once accused me of being racist against the Jews (even though I am Jewish) for being dissapointed that the movie adaptation of "At the Mountains of Madness" was canceled.
Um, I'm sorry? Judaism is a religion, so can that even count as racism?

On the subject of game ratings(and censorship in general), do they even doing anything? Isn't censoring the world fundamentally worse than preparing youth to face it's truths?

Jew is both a race AND religion.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: December 29, 2014, 03:10:50 am »

Hence why you can have famous atheist Jews like Spinoza.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 125