Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Women soldiers  (Read 20443 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Women soldiers
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2015, 09:34:39 pm »

I don't think it ought to be matrist and I don't feel like arguing for the sake of arguing. If you don't want to discuss polygamy, what exactly is your complaint?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 10, 2015, 10:06:45 pm »

I don't think it ought to be matrist and I don't feel like arguing for the sake of arguing. If you don't want to discuss polygamy, what exactly is your complaint?
I wasn't just discussing polygamy.

I was discussing all aspects of "matrist" and "patrist" societies.  Which you keep claiming occur in certain circumstances, and have certain features, but without giving much if any evidence for correlation, let alone causation. 

Nor have you given much evidence for your claim that dwarven society is currently "patrist", but (on the basis of dwarven biology) ought to be "matrist" (other than the repeated assertion than monogamy = patriarchy).
He is saying you are jumping the gun on the "patrist-matrist" thing by making one detail the defining trait for the entire society. By your chart, only one "patrist" detail applies to dwarven society, that being monogamy (some are debatable, but since many are interpretive or nonapplicable with multiple gods and such I'm leaving out things like "progressive", "Father God" and "spontaneous"). Since women and men are literally treated the same in dwarven society, there are at least two details pushing dwarven society toward "matrist" ("sexual differences minimized" and "freedom for women").

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2015, 10:09:36 pm »

Shhh deflection is how hard edges avoid defeat.  Their defense is more offense.
  And this particular feminist is certainly hard-edged.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:11:29 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2015, 10:21:16 pm »

This isn't deflection, I just don't know what the argument is about anymore.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2015, 10:23:45 pm »

Shhh deflection is how hard edges avoid defeat.  Their defense is more offense.
  And this particular feminist is certainly hard-edged.
Indeed, I heard somewhere that arguing with crazy people is why trolls exist to begin with... Has anyone found a way to unsubscribe from a thread?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2015, 10:33:21 pm »

The chart still implies a lot about things that otherwise wouldn't be related. Especially that bit at the bottom, why associate the gender of a deity with political-economic systems? What makes ascetic philosophies like Buddhism so anti-egalitarian? And why, in a chart so clearly meant as a pro-matriarchy advertisement, do we see "sex differences minimized" as one of the many pros in opposition to the many cons to the right of this long list of apparent sex differences? That's just hypocritical.
Buddhism doesn't have a god.

The chart contrasts two different types of society. Whether the traits are good or bad is a judgment on your part. In relation to sex diferences, I think the author means differences in opportunity, legal rights, clothing, role in society and so on.

I never implied Buddhism has a deity, your chart implied ascetic philosophies like Buddism are "Patrist" and therefore aligned in the same column as Authoritarianism.

It also aligned "mother goddesses" with all those great things we have in modern democracies, like egalitarianism and freedom of information. What does bringing up the gender of the "parent god/des" have to do with how a society works?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]