Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Women soldiers  (Read 20496 times)

Re: Women soldiers
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2014, 06:58:18 pm »

I think it's silly to say that excluding women from military service due to a biological feature is sexist (proof: they gladly admit lesbians). It's not hate, it's just logical to use the non child birthing/caring individuals as meat shield and goblin fodder. It would be like saying that putting white makeup on winter soldiers is discrimination against non albinos. If there were ways of preventing couples from having children, we'd use on soldiers and their partners. Besides, in DF you force people to join the army, so it's not like you're denying them the goal of their life (I haven't yet seen that in their personal resumé thing) and yet allowing men to accomplish their dreams.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2014, 06:57:42 am »

If you are talking about reality, there are ways of stopping people from having children.

In DF, I actually want to produce some babies, so the best solution is just to keep the women away from danger while they raise them.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2014, 08:42:26 am »

About runners, current science is looking for cultural instead of genetic reasons for dominance in those events. 
:-\ thats one hell of a cultural trend we missed.  more likely its highly genetic, as the term applies to the nature/nuture cycle.

There are definitive genetic differences in our world.  Just as in any species, especially the wideranged ones.  We just arent doing so well with publically acknowledging them.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:45:36 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2014, 08:49:31 am »

The fact that pygmies are shorter than other Africans, for example, is not cultural. We are very good at acknowledging this unless we are PC idiots.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2014, 05:06:49 pm »

I saw something about those runners being from higher places, and therefore, used to use(?) less oxygen, so they take longer to tire.

Yes. Yes, highlanders, literally.
In a time before time, I had a name.
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2014, 05:48:24 pm »

[/quote]
If you are talking about reality, there are ways of stopping people from having children.

In DF, I actually want to produce some babies, so the best solution is just to keep the women away from danger while they raise them.

I am not an idiot, I know about contraception. As for in DF, sometimes you want less dorfs, to have to produce less food, or because you don't want to deal with hundreds of individuals, although here it's mainly so that couples with soldier mothers don't drag the fortress into a tantrum spiral once their child was murders by a giant red waxy death cricket.

The fact that pygmies are shorter than other Africans, for example, is not cultural. We are very good at acknowledging this unless we are PC idiots.

I agree. People will call anything racism just to play safe and have the moral high ground these days.

I saw something about those runners being from higher places, and therefore, used to use(?) less oxygen, so they take longer to tire.

Then what about Sherpas and native Peruvians?
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2014, 06:27:29 pm »

Taking longer to tire won't help you in a speed test, but helps in the long run(no pun intended).
Also, most of the fastest dudes in earth are black, it has something to do with their muscle tissue being structured somewhat differently than white people's.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2014, 06:55:20 pm »

As for in DF, sometimes you want less dorfs, to have to produce less food, or because you don't want to deal with hundreds of individuals, although here it's mainly so that couples with soldier mothers don't drag the fortress into a tantrum spiral once their child was murders by a giant red waxy death cricket.
This got me thinking that a dwarf fortress is much like a bee hive when it comes to population. It grows until the population is a certain size, then a portion(half in the case of bees) leaves to start a new settlement somewhere else.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2014, 06:58:47 pm »

You know that high-altitude endurance training is actually a thing right?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2014, 09:57:47 pm »

Yep. Something important?

Holomanga

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2014, 03:08:08 am »

If you work out how to sterilise the female dwarves, we'll stop.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2014, 09:42:22 am »

If you work out how to sterilise the female dwarves, we'll stop.
Hunh?  Driveby commentary . . .

Try adding the geldable tag to the female caste.  I looked over the raws, and it appears that gelding isnt a male-only thing within it.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2014, 10:51:07 am »

Yep. Something important?
Well since the running comments seemed to appear out of thin air it's hard to refer directly to the context, but spending a lot of time at high altitude would improve your endurance.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2014, 11:10:36 am »

RE:  Adding the geldable tag to CASTE:ALL

It wouldn't let me geld female yak cows, but I assume that multiple male castes would be geldable as a result.
  In arena mode 50 females didnt geld one another in a FFA
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2014, 01:32:51 pm »

It is impossible for a female to be gelded. She can be sterilised, but only by grievous damage to the oviducts or ovaries that would likely cause death with DF medical technology.

Dwarven hysterectomies should not be in the game.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15