Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43

Author Topic: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)  (Read 123774 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Orcs & Warlock players wanted. :)
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2014, 11:41:19 am »

Tough leather is as strong as copper... its a really bad armor material, and any invader with iron gear will slice through it. Your units will just be slower and easier to hit. At least from my experience. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2014, 11:52:26 am »

Query; are we allowed to take multiple turns for different races?  Was hoping to learn Kobolds here, but if I can claim them later, starting an Orc clan would be !FUN! as well :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2014, 12:00:56 pm »

Sure. :) I can add you for the orcs, first year if you want. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2014, 12:11:11 pm »

Gnomes : Year 1 – Spring

I have no idea of what I am doing

The team takes some time to write a quick inventory of everything they could salvage. There is a few kiwi chicks who were to be reintroduced into the jungle.  A huge horse that humans sold to the university a couple of years ago, the pack animal who was still attack to the wagon. There is not a lot of food, as most barrels were washed away by the river, but at least there is tools: picks and hatchets, plus a crate of delicate geology gadgets.

After a simple session of voting, counter voting, arguing, anonymous suggestion gathering, bias detection and report writing, the group has chosen a manager, psychiatrist, chief medic, broker, bookkeeper... and Noodles as a leader. The other six gnomes decided to repeat the process from scratch and Noodles ended not only as the leader again, but broker as well! The team estimated its chance of survival at 4.16%, if they ignore a few scenarios involving natural disasters and humans.

Because the gnomes hopes for help to come as quickly as possible, they named their camp “Shipdirect”.

No one likes geology
Noodles pulled a food barrel aside, climbed on top of it and, adjusting his glasses raised his hand prepared himself for his introduction speech. “Listen everyone! We know we are not living an optimal start right now, but I want you to acknowledge that under my guidance, even your incompetent minds will be able to unfold the secret of time and space as we know it. So if you all execute my instructions to the letter, our progress will be legendary!”, that is the speech he wanted to give to his colleagues. Unfortunately he was cut short after “Listen!” as the barrel vanished under his feet. Everything became a blur as the scientist fell through through the ground.

“Ah, you found a natural geologic formation Noodles!” shouted a gnome outside, “What do you see? Is it safe?”.

“Ow, ow ow! It hurts, what do you think I am, a dwarf! It's dark down there...”. In an attempt to get away from the complaints, the glassmaker walked around the area, taking note of the quality sand that will let her produce decent test tubes, what seems to be ore in the hill side and otters playing in the water. The webs hanging on the trees seems to indicate that spiders might be lurking nearby.

The team moved its meager reserves in the cavern.

It's like a teeth rot for rock
Since Burosige enjoys pulling plants, he is sent downwards to gather both woods and fruits. Meanwhile the miners started enlarging the cave into rooms. The gnomes lack construction materials so living in the daylight is not going to happen and they will have to dig a bunker instead. In the future the gnomes hope to dig windows and let the light in.

A farm to plant the few seeds they could find and to harvest eggs from the kiwis.

A simple square area nearby that will serve at everything until proper rooms are built.

And of course the first workshop that will produce the tools required for the laboratories (and survival).

No one like spelunking either
Noodles screamed out of nowhere (again), as lizardlike humanoids ran around sniffing the new arrivals. Those 'Nith' as they are called apparently lived in the lower parts of the cave and does not seem to be hostile, suggestion has been made to befriend them as a social experiment.

Then bad news came from the food stock. Food is disappearing faster then expected and claw marks can be found around the stockpile. The logical conclusion is that moles are taking the few fruits gnomes saved from the disaster. As noble feeding hungry animals is, the seeds from those fruits will be missed.

The excavation somehow rendered the upper layers impossible to reach. As a change of plan a simpler entrance has been dug at ground level to reach the outdoors. Also the niths killed two kiwis, that's an interesting development.

--

The gnomes seems to have issue with the place's geometry and stopped going and picking items despite running up and down the hill and are spamming me with inaccessible items warning.

Living area + Food, a farm the gnomes won't plant seeds into (probably what the innaccessible spam is referring to). The meeting hall is under construction and will have a well in the middle.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The main entrance I added when gnomes stopped reaching the food stockpiles. The first workshop are producing furniture and beds as well as blocks to complete the entrance.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:18:17 pm by Boltgun »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2014, 12:43:54 pm »

Aight, I'm starting the most glorious hilarious Orc outpost ever.  Also, might be worthwhile to have 2 threads.  One for updates, one for discussion.  If you can keep track of everything in a single thread, more power to you.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:02:14 pm by Immortal-D »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2014, 12:49:14 pm »

Liking the look of this.  Cave embarks are always fun.  The Nith infestation is already making for interesting parallel storylines.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2014, 01:03:39 pm »

Aight, I'm starting the most glorious hilarious Orc outpost ever.  Also, might be worthwhile to have 2 threads.  One for updates, one for discussion.  If you can keep track of everything in a single thread, more power to you.  Lastly, can we get world d/l in the op?
Should be one thread, Masterwork is taking up enough forum space already. :P Thats why I link to each update from OP. I can add the download link to the OP too, but there will be lots of links flying around once people finish their turns.

Liking the look of this.  Cave embarks are always fun.  The Nith infestation is already making for interesting parallel storylines.
I hope so. :) Although I'm surprised to see that I'm so far the only person that closed the cave. People semm to be ok with cave bears, reptile people and other critters running around their forts.

Edit: Added the download links to the first page, on the bottom.

Immortal-D, I added you as the Orc player. Good luck. :)
Urist Mc Dwarf, You are added for Hermit Year 3.

Updated first post with links to all story posts.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:08:02 pm by Meph »

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2014, 01:15:06 pm »

Although I'm surprised to see that I'm so far the only person that closed the cave. People semm to be ok with cave bears, reptile people and other critters running around their forts.
Than402 closed it for humans i believe AFTER something escaped from there and decided that it wasn't gonna happen again :P

Possibly after the frogwoman gave out some injuries.

As you've seen, the humans were placed on the largest flat area (fully agree on a new fort above ground), whilst it seems most others are building on the inside.

I see the other reason you were suggesting to just buy steel. I just got about 2 copper from 10 sets of malachite, the rest being slag lol.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2014, 01:18:00 pm »

Did you process it before you used the ore? Or did you smelt "ore-bearing rock", which is a bad idea. :P

Frogpeople, he? I saw a dead one in my unit list... something in the caverns killed it before it could run out.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2014, 01:19:55 pm »

☼Dwarves☼ - Spring Report

Spring started off poorly: a Nith killed the only male leatherwing bat we brought with us.  And it doesn't seem like either of the female bats are pregnant.  Not long afterwards, an alligator trundled and land and killed our farmer Takuth.  Poor Takuth, I barely knew thee.  We entombed him in the upper reaches of the cave.  The coffin is made of lowly sand stone, and the walls are bare and drab.  Hopefully we can fix that in the future.

I ordered Saneb to bludgeon a Nith that got inside the fort to death.  I then butchered the it, poorly I might add, but it is done.  I've turned the Nith bones into bolts for Saneb and ordered him to take over the task of farming.  Should another alligator arise, he should be able to drive it away now.

The workshop spaces are mostly finished, and I've got the first set of copper bolts out to Saneb. 

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2014, 01:40:05 pm »

Did you process it before you used the ore? Or did you smelt "ore-bearing rock", which is a bad idea. :P

Guess i got some researchin to do lol. Not entirely sure how to process it. I'll have a look now i know about that ;)
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2014, 01:44:21 pm »

Guess i got some researchin to do lol. Not entirely sure how to process it. I'll have a look now i know about that ;)
When miners find ore, its some minerals surrounded by a lot of rock. I always found it strange that you can just smelt pure metal from that in DF, so I made it a tick more realistic in the mod. You need to separate the ore from the rock first. What you did is throw rocks and base minerals into the smelter, and you get lots of useless crap out of it. But if you build an Ore Processor first, you get "pure ore" and some extra boulders and blocks. :)

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Warlock player wanted. :)
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2014, 02:09:48 pm »

Gnomes : Year 1 -Summer

Nithi peskymal vernimus
A few expedition members found our shelter: a furnace operator, a fishergnome and a soap maker. They also brought a few test subjects found further up the river stream: A fire blob, a rattlesnake and a couple of poults. The nith quickly killed the poults. Much to the despair of a biologist who intended to study their diet, Noodles refusal to show care about this aborted experiment did not really help.

The gnomes can safely classify Niths as 'nasty vermin'.

The soap maker is tasked to put whatever seed into the ground. A farming space is being prepared outside to grow strawberries and other kinds of plants to be mixed with fish. With hope that will provide enough nutrients for the gnomes intellect.

The direct tlink between entropy and starvation
There will be no experiment without administration. Offices has been carved out between the mess and the rooms. With this sudden injection of proper management, Noodles could see that the farms are filled and that they have enough fish and fruits to last the year.

Construction of the laboratories can now start and nothing can go wrong.

Everything go wrong

And all of sudden...

In panic I sent the miners and the two gnomes who happened to hold the hatchets. Before it was over, I lost 3 gnomes, including Noodles and more are wounded. This is why I never make any plans.

The everything sucks experiment
A couple of reptile people ran out of nowhere, they were much larger, much much larger then the nith! The confusion was complete until the miners managed to dig holes inside the reptile men and not without wounds. One courageous miner lost a foot in the process and for unfortunately his screams echoed very well in the cavern.

The aftermath is terrible and the gnomes were mixed with the joy of seeing Noodle thrown across the room and the grief of having the round 4% chance of survival drop to 0.16%. In addition to the casualty of three, statistics shows that at least 2 more will succumb to premature insanity.

A new leader has been chosen and with her, a new directive. Her first experiment, as she described it, is “screw science, start a forge, make weapons and SEAL THOSE DAMN CARVERNS!”.

Pictured : Corpse, blood, a stone floor designation and a tantruming miner. Gnomes do tantrum, good to see!

Well, that was quick. The picks were passed to the remaining mentally stable gnomes and coffins were ordered as well as a room near the entrance that will serve as a barracks.

And so summer ends. With my face on the desk.

The entrance, wiht remains and stockpiled gnome corpses.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:16:26 pm by Boltgun »

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Warlock player wanted. :)
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2014, 02:21:53 pm »

And I thought I had a rough start!  Ouch!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43