Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dragon finding, hacking in or optimal way to find?  (Read 5896 times)

ModerationOFrequnecy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragon finding, hacking in or optimal way to find?
« on: December 14, 2014, 10:40:22 pm »

So for the longest of times I have wanted to capture some dragons and make them the center of my fortress lifestyle but I have yet to encounter one of these magnificent creatures I have made the worlds so that more spawn and less are killed by people to no avail.

I have looked through all the hacks in Df hack and it seems only items can be spawned in and I have tried my best in custom made worlds to get as much worth as possible but still no appearances of the dragons that are clearly stated in the legends

The closest I have been to capturing a dragon is being invaded by cave dragons in a goblin invasion that fort did not last long because the invasion that the dragons occurred overwhelmed me 

would there be anyone willing to tell me the best way to get dragons or a way to hack them in. It would appreciated

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 10:42:59 pm by ModerationOFrequnecy »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon finding, hacking in or optimal way to find?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:48:02 pm »

I would either
A.) mod in a dozen or so new dragon types and increase the semi-megabeast count in world gen.  This means more semimegabeasts, and a greater percentage of them being dragons.

B.) Remove the tags that make dragons semi-megabeasts and increase their frequency tag.

Iirc, dragons wont breed correctly in fort mode...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 12:12:56 am »

Step 1: have cages made, and idling dwarves.
Step 2: dfhack
step 3: fastdwarf 1 1
Step 4:  rb_eval df.gametype = :DWARF_ARENA
Step 5: k-c-dragons
Step 6: rb_eval df.gametype = :DWARF_MAIN
Step 7: v-hover over a dragon- rb_eval df.unit_find.civ_id = df.ui.civ_id
Step 8: train them with your best animal trainer.
Done.

NEVER HAVE IT UNPAUSED UNTIL STEP 8, OR ELSE YOUR FORT WILL GO RAMPANT AND INTO A SIMULTANEOUS, BLOODY TANTRUM SPIRAL.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

ModerationOFrequnecy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 12:39:35 am »

Ty for you're help I will try these.

ModerationOFrequnecy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 12:46:09 am »

Step 1: have cages made, and idling dwarves.
Step 2: dfhack
step 3: fastdwarf 1 1
Step 4:  rb_eval df.gametype = :DWARF_ARENA
Step 5: k-c-dragons
Step 6: rb_eval df.gametype = :DWARF_MAIN
Step 7: v-hover over a dragon- rb_eval df.unit_find.civ_id = df.ui.civ_id
Step 8: train them with your best animal trainer.
Done.

NEVER HAVE IT UNPAUSED UNTIL STEP 8, OR ELSE YOUR FORT WILL GO RAMPANT AND INTO A SIMULTANEOUS, BLOODY TANTRUM SPIRAL.

At part 5 I tried to put the dragon in however when I pulled up the creature list it was empty and when I typed in dragon nothing changed

:/

*edit* currently about to create a new world too see if anything changes

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:47:46 am by ModerationOFrequnecy »

ModerationOFrequnecy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 12:54:38 am »

I would either
A.) mod in a dozen or so new dragon types and increase the semi-megabeast count in world gen.  This means more semimegabeasts, and a greater percentage of them being dragons.

B.) Remove the tags that make dragons semi-megabeasts and increase their frequency tag.

How would the dragons not breed correctly? they would still breed but you're implying a problem?

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 02:24:13 am »

I would either

How would the dragons not breed correctly? they would still breed but you're implying a problem?

Well one problem with dragon breeding is that it will most likely take 50 dwarf years for it to hatch iirc. there was a thread where someone managed to get a male and female in the same place in one embark and attempted it, but didn't succeed i don't think. That was a good few years back.

I can give you worldgens of small maps with a large amount of megabeasts if it helps. Last 2-3 i've used spawned 2-3 dragons each time. Bear in mind they will usually destroy several civilizations in the process. I usually ramp up evil just a little which usually lets goblins survive and elves just die :P
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

ModerationOFrequnecy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 02:29:47 am »

I would either

Well one problem with dragon breeding is that it will most likely take 50 dwarf years for it to hatch iirc. there was a thread where someone managed to get a male and female in the same place in one embark and attempted it, but didn't succeed i don't think. That was a good few years back.

I can give you worldgens of small maps with a large amount of megabeasts if it helps. Last 2-3 i've used spawned 2-3 dragons each time. Bear in mind they will usually destroy several civilizations in the process. I usually ramp up evil just a little which usually lets goblins survive and elves just die :P

I have plenty of maps that contain several dragons its just the visiting part I cant get to work

I was just trying all the suggestions and none of those worked so I will just go sit in the corner were all my board dwarves are
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:31:33 am by ModerationOFrequnecy »

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 02:37:49 am »

The idea is to embark where there are already dragons. This saves it from being "a small chance" that the dragon decides to wander in and instead forces a dragon to already be there.

It's like embarking on a kobold site, they don't just magically disappear. Dragons don't magically disappear either.

the !!FUN!! part is trying to catch them without being burnt alive.

To find dragons, you need to see where they settle, check the maps then attempt to locate on the embark screen. I don't know if anyone has an easy way to do that as my method would be rather long winded.
I.e use maps to figure out which area they were in, create a copy of the save, then creating very large embarks to locate said dragon. Reload old save and embark where dragon is.

Will see how long it takes me, don't think it'll take any longer than 30 mins.

edit:
I've located a dragon but he's in a fortress and sadly embark anywhere was a 0.34 program. So don't think that ones accessible, 4 more to check on this world edit3: Just realised that because the dragon "destroyed" the area i could simply reclaim it. Sadly when i arrived, no dragon to be seen. Must admit though, dwarven towns are hilarious. The sheer amount of equipment they left lying around... anyway, reclaiming a town taken by a dragon appeared to mean dragon had wandered off (unless it was away, killin stuff and was coming back)
edit2:
Attempting to embark upon a different dragons lair, but not sure where he is, so embarking on top of the entire area... which is taking a long while to load, so may have to do some smaller embarks
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:17:09 am by Bigheaded »
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:11:35 am »

Embark anywhere still works.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 03:13:27 am »

Embark anywhere still works.

even on .40.19??
last note i read on that was that it cleared the civilizations. Will have another look anyway. Always wanted to embark on top of a site anyway :)

edit:

Success. Used an 8x8 embark and got the location correct on first try.

Either i suck at DF (quite likely) as i wasn't able to locate the lair without using the legends viewer mod. The DF legends give me a rough location but that would have taken me about 30 times as long.
If you need any help using legends viewer, then ask here. I can give you a few steps.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:25:26 am by Bigheaded »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 03:13:46 am »

You just have to modify the RAWs a little. Not that I know how, of course.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 04:53:19 am »

I remember posting in a topic like this sometime back. Here let me find it.

An alternative approach,
Edit the Dragon definition (in raw/objects/creature_standard.txt), replacing [FANCIFUL] with [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET]. You'll probably also want to remove a couple zeros from PETVALUE so you can actually afford dragons at embark.

You can speed up their aging as well, but it isn't necessary. Dragons are mature (able to be trained and bred) from age 0; they merely grow to ridiculously large size over 1000 years. Young dragons are still quite deadly, despite their slightly-less-than-ridiculous size.

Create a new world and embark carefully with several male and female dragons (they'll be at the bottom of the list).

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 05:14:18 am »

Decided i may as well give my suggestion on how to get this without any modifications to raws.

Firstly, gen a world with lots of megabeasts. If you want very few rejections, try using this one, should get you a exactly 5 dragons.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To use this, the easiest way is to copy it and to go into dwarf fortress folder -> data -> init -> worldgen.txt open that and paste it at the bottom. When you go into "design new world with advanced parameters" it should be there, called "dragons".

firstly ensure your world has dragons by going into play -> legends -> Historical figures
You should get something like this:

Now we've confirmed we have several dragons which arn't dead we need to locate one.
Personally i suggest using "legends Viewer".
If you use the starter pack (which i highly recommend): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0 then you already have it.
If not: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72702.0

Now we follow the instructions it gives in its readme which boils down to:
1. in legends mode in DF press x (for XML dump) nothing "appears" to happen. Thats fine.
2. Press p for map/gen info
3. press d then select standard biome + site map.
4. Open legends viewer and click the ... next to Legends XML and select the xml which can be found in the DF folder (should be named something like: region1-00020-01-01-legends.xml)
This should load up everything. Next we need to locate the dragons!
Select historical figures and filter by dragons. select one and see where he lives!
In my case:
Related Sites
Wealthstax, Lair (0)

Click on the Lair name (in this case Wealthstax), and you should get an image like this:

Now we have the location we can find it!
Bare in mind this does not give the precise tile the dragons is located. So i suggest making a copy of your save file on your desktop, making an 8x8 embark in a corner (my computer which is pretty decent failed to load a 16x16 embark in 5 mins) and see if it's there. It will say you've discovered a lair should you have chosen the correct location. If you have not, embark again (as shown):

Once you have found the lair, you can move your old save back and embark properly with a normal 3x3 or whatever you want embark. Getting it right may be a little iffy, but you should have a decent idea of where it is in the 8x8.

Well, that's how i'd do it anyway.

Zuglars suggestion would probably be the easiest way of doing it.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 05:53:33 am »

I managed to do this the good old fashioned way without any programs or hacks..... probably the way you are meant to find dragons!

I created an adventure character and chatted to local villagers for rumours until someone mentioned a dragon. I then used the quest goal to travel to where the dragon was. Now that you have it's location you can retire your adventurer and embark on top of the lair. Make sure to use the same civilisation for both the adventurer and the embark. I think this will let you see the lair on the embark map screen.

If you want multiple dragons then the best way is really what Bigheaded says... look at legends viewer (no need to have/use the starter pack for this) and find a site that has multiple dragons.

My embark had 9 dragons... which was lots of fun because lair creatures have TRAP_AVOID so it's much more difficult to capture them!

Good luck :)

Edit:

Here is a link to my relevant thread:
http://97.107.128.126/smf/index.php?topic=131822.msg4669575#msg4669575

and here are the steps to find large populations in legends viewer:
  • Export legends data
  • Open  Legends Viewer 1.13
  • Hit show map button
  • Zoom out
  • Click Overlays > Site Population > and select only dragon outcasts and click accept.
  • Toggle Sites and you can then hover over caves to see how many dragons are in each. Any with lots of dragons will be showing as a red circle due to the above command
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:59:10 am by Ravendarksky »
Pages: [1] 2