Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop dwarves from attacking  (Read 4229 times)

Avanak

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels study, distracted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
Stop dwarves from attacking
« on: December 14, 2014, 06:16:11 am »

I have an axedwarf standing guard near the entrance of my one month old fortress. Suddenly, a yeti appears from the mountains. The axedwarf rushes bravely towards the yeti, but the yeti seems scared by the dwarf.

How do I stop dwarves from automatically attacking enemies when I only gave him a station order?

Edit: the axedwarf killed the yeti in one hit, struck it in the heart! But still, I would like to know if I can stop dwarves from attacking.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:17:55 am by Avanak »
Youtube account (where i play dwarf fortress):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtve1Sw8V9_MBn5aV54Ho1A

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stop dwarves from attacking
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 07:26:47 am »

Retreats are for elven forests, not for Dwarven warriors.

In all seriousness, pretty much the only way is to cancel all orders to the squad, letting them revert to civilians. This still isn't certain, as civilians will sometimes rush into an ongoing conflict.

Honestly your best bet with any melee dwarf is to station them behind a blind corner, with a door that you can lock if you need to, but once they get sight of the enemy, you should count on your dwarves being committed to the fight until they or their enemies are dead.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 07:28:41 am »

Setting his squad to inactive should work in most cases.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 09:38:53 pm »

I don't think the squad stopping thing works, I've seen numerous civilian dwarves chasing down giant gray langurs and beating them to death with their fists... You probably need an unusual solution for this, so why do you want them to stand around doing nothing?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 10:16:55 pm »

ethics should govern civilian behavior, but military will need to be deactivated.  tbh im not sure if ethics could govern their attack tendencies as well . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 10:40:32 pm »

ethics should govern civilian behavior, but military will need to be deactivated.  tbh im not sure if ethics could govern their attack tendencies as well . . .
Nonsense, bloodlust is a universal constant

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:38:25 pm »

hmmm?  Attack_enemy:Nope would at least get some reaction out of the justice system.  Actually that might, under the right conditions, make a fun community fort.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 05:25:05 am »

The only certain way to get military personnel to stop attacking is probably to both withdraw them completely from the military (remove them from their squads) AND activate a civilian alert burrows to get them to move back.
Bravery in the face of impossible odds is dwarven. Basic survival instincts and common sense are not.