Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maintaining a specific quantity of [item] in stock  (Read 2058 times)

LHLF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Maintaining a specific quantity of [item] in stock
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:21:05 pm »

I don't know if this was ever brought up (I wouldn't be surprised if it has, though), but I saw this feature in the alpha of StoneHearth (that "Minecraft meets DF stockpile and profession system" game) and though it would be amazing if Toady could add it to the game now that he is working on job priorities and such.
What the game allows you to do is to tell a certain workshop to "always maintain X quantity of [item] in stock", so that you can always have some beds, doors, coffers and whatnot, but without placing a repeat marker and having to ask the dwarf to stop when it is enough. Sure we can use the manager to ask for specific quantities when we want, but it is very different. I think it would add great control and make things much more pleasant in many cases.
If this is old news, I apologize. If this has not been brought up and you think that I should ask about it for the next Future of the Fortress, please tell me!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Maintaining a specific quantity of [item] in stock
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 11:25:57 pm »

It's already around pretty much.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

LHLF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 11:34:19 pm »

So no need to reinforce it then?

LHLF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 08:48:07 am »

It's the top suggestion all time in the first line of the top post in the forum.

Yeah, I remember seeing that one, but it's not QUITE the same thing. The description implies that the idea of maintaining stockpiles full or to avoid running our of seeds or things like that. What I suggested falls into the same category, but it is simpler and more specific. The idea is to be able to ask a workshop to keep 10 beds in stock, for instance. Considering that Toady is Toady, he would probably add this feature together with the other one, but who knows.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:04:23 pm »

No, it's pretty much exactly "keep at least 100 drinks around".

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 07:25:28 pm »

I hope you mean the suggestion has already been made because it hasn't be implemented yet in vanilla.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 07:36:42 pm »

I hope you mean the suggestion has already been made because it hasn't be implemented yet in vanilla.
I think that's what he meant and it's been suggested plenty of times. For booze, for seed control, for glass and clay collection, for wood...