BOTH SUCK!
- 15 (17.6%)
NEUTRAL!
- 4 (4.7%)
I DON'T CARE!
- 17 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Knight vs.Samurai Who Is Best  (Read 12884 times)

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
Knight vs.Samurai Who Is Best
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:10:02 pm »

Well Bay12 I've been internally debating for quite the while and I want to your collective opinion who is superior The Knight Or The Samurai?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Knight vs.Samurai Who Is Best
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 11:12:11 pm »

Gonna need some context on this one.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 11:14:45 pm »

Obligatory:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 11:22:15 pm »

The answer is Jedi.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 11:24:14 pm »

Uh, what time periods are we assuming? As in, back when each were effectively just soldiers and mercenaries? Or during times of relative peace where they were given codes of honor as a leash of sorts and gained a whole load of privileges unrelated to their murder capabilities?

My gut feeling is that a knight would win on even grounds since their plate armor is more protective and they had misericordes for grappling combat. I mean, their actual usage of swords aren't that different and it's probably going to just devolve into a grapple anyway.

Though really, the real winner will probably be dysentery and poor hygiene standards.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:25:58 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:26:02 pm »

Yeah, context is kinda' needed. That said, without context, both, being symbols of social oppression and brutality, objectively suck. They represent fairly terrible times, nearly unilaterally terrible people, and pointedly obsolete military ideology. Their sole saving grace was the occasionally aesthetically pleasing armament, for what little difference it makes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 12:08:38 am »

Dammit Frumple

What about the glorious folded metal and the chivalry and the horses and the feudalism???
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 12:54:41 am »

I think I heard that the samurais' methods were more advanced. On their other hand however the stupid idealistic code followed by samurai was even stupider than the stupid idealistic code followed by chivalric knights.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 01:43:36 am »

Gonna have to go with the guy in armour for this one, honestly. Ye Olde Katanae weren't too good at chopping through steel plate IIRC.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 01:48:53 am »

Gonna have to go with the guy in armour for this one, honestly. Ye Olde Katanae weren't too good at chopping through steel plate IIRC.

The Samurai wore armor too, they just gravitated away from brigandine plate.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 02:08:33 am »

They would probably end up grappling if neither gets an early lucky hit in.  Knights in plate learn to grapple with their swords and pole arms.  A katana is far better for penetrating armor than any knightly cruciform sword, but not so good that it's practical to cut plate.  Samurai also used pole arms.  The knight's sword is better for grappling, because you can actually hold the blade, but plate armor gets really hot, and doesn't let you cool by sweating, which can result in heat injuries.

The question isn't necessarily pitting them against each other, though.  I have no idea which one was statistically better at their job.  I think the samurai came out of it with a better reputation, though.

Clearly the samurai is best on account of smelling slightly better after a battle or march.   An armored knight is like a one man locker room.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 02:16:10 am »

It's not even a contest.  Samurai is super duper hyped.  Knights didn't live up to the hype either but they were competent.

Japan had crappy steel, little coal and poor horses.  Japan was an insular culture where samurai didn't need to fight a variety of foes.  People also tend to massively underestimate the variety of warriors that were labeled knights.  Almost every fighting style that was fought in Europe from the late roman empire until muskets was used by knights at some point or other.

So generally speaking, knights hands down.  They actually knew how to fight, they knew how to adapt and they were much, much, much better equipped.  I'm pretty sure that a knight with a bastard sword could bisect a samurai in full lacquer armor with a simple horizontal slash.

And there's the troublesome fact that the height of the samurai came after knights had finally disappeared from European battlefields.  The contemporary of the pop culture samurai would be a Cuirassier armed with a pistol among other things and capable of killing a samurai 99.9% of the time using Caracole tactics.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 02:19:12 am »

2 warriors with highly similar tactics and armaments, but one is better armored. I'd give it to the knight. One does not simply slice through plate armor. You need a sharp, sturdy, rigid point with a good deal of mass behind it. One does not easily slice through wooden armor either, but one can do it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 02:25:57 am »

Yeah, context is kinda' needed. That said, without context, both, being symbols of social oppression and brutality, objectively suck. They represent fairly terrible times, nearly unilaterally terrible people, and pointedly obsolete military ideology. Their sole saving grace was the occasionally aesthetically pleasing armament, for what little difference it makes.
I love you man.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 02:33:34 am »

It's not even a contest.  Samurai is super duper hyped.  Knights didn't live up to the hype either but they were competent.

Japan had crappy steel, little coal and poor horses.  Japan was an insular culture where samurai didn't need to fight a variety of foes.  People also tend to massively underestimate the variety of warriors that were labeled knights.  Almost every fighting style that was fought in Europe from the late roman empire until muskets was used by knights at some point or other.

So generally speaking, knights hands down.  They actually knew how to fight, they knew how to adapt and they were much, much, much better equipped.  I'm pretty sure that a knight with a bastard sword could bisect a samurai in full lacquer armor with a simple horizontal slash.

And there's the troublesome fact that the height of the samurai came after knights had finally disappeared from European battlefields.  The contemporary of the pop culture samurai would be a Cuirassier armed with a pistol among other things and capable of killing a samurai 99.9% of the time using Caracole tactics.

The steel was good.  The iron ore was bad.  There is a huge difference.

A knight wouldn't try to cut a samurai in half because knights are trained well enough to know that it would be a stupid tactic that telegraphs itself and creates a huge opening.  Likewise, while a katana can stab through plate, it be obvious to the samurai that any attempt to do so would be easy to avoid, and create a huge opening.

I love you man.
I shall now provide a hypothetical scenario:

They are both in a locker room, wearing only jock straps, and armed with wet towels.  Both have self aggrandizing names.  Which one is the "best"?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8