Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the new format?

I like it better than the last one
It's good, but I don't see the need with the discussion thread
It's not going to go anywhere good, just lock it now.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 52

Author Topic: Religion Questions Thread  (Read 56127 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion Questions Thread
« Reply #705 on: January 19, 2015, 05:18:12 pm »

Helgoland
The blood and flesh, his sacrifice, were the payment to Adam's sin, he was a perfect human, so the payment must have been from a perfect human to be of equal value. That's also why we couldn't just kill a random dude and go back to be perfect beings. His sacrifice was the equivalent exchange.
Please don't refrain to ask more, this thread is helping us all to keep up with our studies.
I know the Protestant party line, I'm just arguing that it's not contained in the scripture. Wait, arguing isn't allowed here, is it?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 19, 2015, 05:23:21 pm »

I think flaming isn't permitted. Discussing a common point of view probably isn't.
Ah, you say the sacrifice part isn't on the bible? Or is it the pact thing? Tell me which of my statements were untrue, so I can explain myself better.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 19, 2015, 05:44:49 pm »

The Protestant view on Communion - 'It's all just symbolic!' - isn't. The whole sacrifice and pact stuff is kinda... unrelated. Okay, quite closely related, but rather irrelevant to the (my?) point.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 19, 2015, 06:14:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On Jesus, if nothing else I still hold my faith that he existed.

An hypothetical question: if you had discovered beyond any doubt that Jesus never existed, would it make you doubt your religion?

I would give juedeism a look if that happened
If that got knocked out too I would probably go budhist

Why leave christianity?

"If you meet the Buddha, kill him."

Why do you need the existence of jesus as told in the bible to accept "his" teachings? doesn't the teachings stand on their own?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 19, 2015, 06:16:55 pm »

Wait, arguing isn't allowed here, is it?
Arguing really isn't the point, yes. Questions for clarification of positions are alright, but actual pushing of positions and whatnot is... not the original idea, s'far as the OP seems to go.

... really, the idea is just to present and clarify positions and whatnot. Answer questions, not push ideology or interrogate people, y'know? Is why it's the religion questions thread, not the religion discussion thread. Here to learn, not push agendas.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 19, 2015, 06:20:12 pm »

Helgo: Were you brought up in the Catholic faith?

Because, much like me being brought up in the Protestant faith, it might explain why we differ on what seems more...not even convincing, 'cause I think it's literature, but...emmm... more true to the original ideal?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 19, 2015, 06:44:03 pm »

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:43:56 pm by penguinofhonor »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 19, 2015, 07:00:09 pm »

What is his blood a metaphor for? If a politician says 'Berlin is my life', to grab an example from earlier, he means that he has devoted a large part of his life to the city, such a large part that his life would be unthinkable without it. If I say 'He is my right hand', I mean that I rely on him as much as on my right hand to do stuff.

He's metaphorically giving them flesh and blood, making a sacrifice. It is alluding to Jesus' sacrifice on the cross a few pages later.
Making a sacrifice does not normally involve consumption of the sacrificing person - the consumption itself must be a metaphor for something if what he said wasn't meant literally.
Helgo: Were you brought up in the Catholic faith?
In a way. My family pretty much shares my views, or rather I share theirs: They're agnostics, but believe that religiousness should be supported for reasons I have elaborated on elsewhere. Thus I've been raised as a Church-going person, and Catholicism certainly is part of my identity.
It's kinda like law systems, in a way: Usually you don't notice the differences because most people don't actively care about the law system they were raised with, but put it in question and you'll be biting granite. Just try suggesting that trial by jury is a dumb idea in the cool and calm thread and you'll see what I mean ;)
The Bay12 postcard club

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 19, 2015, 07:00:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On Jesus, if nothing else I still hold my faith that he existed.

An hypothetical question: if you had discovered beyond any doubt that Jesus never existed, would it make you doubt your religion?

I would give juedeism a look if that happened
If that got knocked out too I would probably go budhist

Why leave christianity?

"If you meet the Buddha, kill him."

Why do you need the existence of jesus as told in the bible to accept "his" teachings? doesn't the teachings stand on their own?

Jesus had to exist for Christianity to work.
I believe he did.
If he did not exist then the whole 'Jesus dieing on the cross for our sins' didn't happen and we can not be saved which is the point of Christianity.
Sure I could still follow the teachings but I wouldn't be able to go to heaven by asking Jesus' forgiveness and accepting him into my heart.
That's why I would jump to Judeism, it was what Christianity was prior to Jesus and I will (in this scenario) still beleive in the same god and all that other fun stuff.
If something comes out and blows that out of the water and religion just isn't a choice for me anymore I would probably
A) live life as I normally do just not with a religious aspect
Or
B) convert to Budhism, I believe there was a famous mathematician who basicaly said,"you should join a religion on the chance that they are right" sorta thing basically join a religion for, if nothing else, to be secure in an afterlife if it exists.
Of course with Christianity that's a pretty bad way of doing it since you must whole hearted my believe in god and all.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 19, 2015, 07:39:00 pm »

Making a sacrifice does not normally involve consumption of the sacrificing person - the consumption itself must be a metaphor for something if what he said wasn't meant literally.

I think you got our(mine?) point wrong, the eating don't makes part of it, the gifting thing does. He gave his blood and flesh to them.
If the eating part was true then the bible would be contradicting itself, eating blood is considered all trough the bible as a unthinkable act. God himself states that the life of a creature is it's blood. And back in the time it was an exigence to the blood be left to drip on the ground.
In a time before time, I had a name.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 19, 2015, 10:34:33 pm »

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:43:47 pm by penguinofhonor »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 20, 2015, 05:14:35 am »

But since he was a real sacrifice, not a metaphorical one, the consumption would've had to be real and not metaphorical as well. You could of course argue that the bread and wine from the Last Supper were indeed his blood and flesh, but that the subsequent repititions were merely symbolic; this however contradicts Jesus' command to repeat what was done back then.
The Bay12 postcard club

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 20, 2015, 05:36:35 am »

True, but sadly Jesus steak are not a renewable ressources, and we ran out in 33 AD.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 20, 2015, 07:59:32 am »

.... I just walked into the butt end of that discussion >_>
OOC
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 20, 2015, 10:30:26 am »

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:43:38 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 52