Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the new format?

I like it better than the last one
It's good, but I don't see the need with the discussion thread
It's not going to go anywhere good, just lock it now.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 52

Author Topic: Religion Questions Thread  (Read 56207 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion Questions Thread
« Reply #465 on: January 02, 2015, 11:02:53 pm »

2) I'm still torn on homosexuality, as to whether it's acceptable or not.

Leveticus 18

"18:1 The Lord said to Moses"

So this apparently is god speaking personally here. No third parties, no innuendo...he's outright giving commandments to Moses in a direct "these are the things to not do, because they're bad" context.

21 “‘Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.

22 “‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

23 “‘Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it.

There it is, right between child sacrifice and bestiality. And of the three, that's the one he says is detestable. Or "an abomination" depending on your translation.

Taken literally, it could be argued as only applying to sex with post-op mtf transsexuals. The crux of it lies in the qualifier "as one does with a woman". That sounds like a reference to vaginal sex, (or if not then at least something dependent on whether the women in your life will let you have anal and/or oral sex with them). At absolute minimum it definitely doesn't apply to penile frotting or to being on the receiving end of gay sex.

EDIT:
And before you dismiss the qualifier as something added by the translator, I should point out that it appears in all nineteen translations of the verse available on biblehub, including Young's Literal Translation

EDIT:
Also, the admonition only applies to gay men, not to lesbians (or if anything it forbids lesbians from having heterosexual sex)

All who can answer, though mostly pertaining to Christian or Christian-type religions
Do you believe Satan is the Lord of Hell/Ruler or an entity that is there for punishment, just like the humans who are supposed to be sent there?

Not saying I believe this, - just that there's a precedent for it -, but couldn't he be both, like Al Capone at Eastern State Penitentiary?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:48:06 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #466 on: January 02, 2015, 11:55:32 pm »

All who can answer, though mostly pertaining to Christian or Christian-type religions
Do you believe Satan is the Lord of Hell/Ruler or an entity that is there for punishment, just like the humans who are supposed to be sent there?
No. Assuming he's actually a thing in the first place (our only source is Revelation) then he's lord of the devils for the time being, but he'll be tortured at the end of time along with all the unbelievers.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 03, 2015, 02:17:32 am »

Can you please define 'unbeliever'?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 03, 2015, 02:39:40 am »

Can you please define 'unbeliever'?
No. Assuming he's actually a thing in the first place (our only source is Revelation) then he's lord of the devils for the time being, but he'll be tortured at the end of time along with all the unbelievers.

Unbeliever being IIRC everyone who doesn't have salvation in Jesus Christ/accepts said salvation.
Also satan is also mentioned in Mathew and another book. In Mathew he tempts Jesus and the other he tests a mans faith with gods permission.
Satan is also referenced as the enemy a few times and is not the ruler of hell but is given quite a bit of power on earth and supposedly the world will get more and more bitter as time goes on because he knows his end is near and will want to cause as much death/destruction as possible

As many pastors around hear say
"The enemy comes only to steal, kill, and destroy"
-many pastors
The enemy being the devil
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #469 on: January 03, 2015, 03:34:53 am »

Ah, of course, I forgot about Matthew. And the other things. That's embarrassing.

Anyway, yeah, he's never referred to as the lord of hell in the Bible. That came from the fanfics.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 03, 2015, 08:58:37 am »

More like paid DLC  :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 03, 2015, 10:23:22 am »

More like paid DLC  :P

DLC is assumed canon unless stated otherwise. It's a paid fanfic, if anything, like Fifty Shades would be if they didn't need to search-and-replace the names to avoid copyright infringement.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 03, 2015, 10:42:13 am »

All people:

According to your respective religions/personal beliefs, what is the meaning of life?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 03, 2015, 11:26:38 am »

All people:

According to your respective religions/personal beliefs, what is the meaning of life?

I have a few 'beliefs', as a self-identified Agnostic Nihilist my views are somewhat... Varied. Rather, I don't hold to any single one of these, they're simply ones that I've thought of.

Possibility #1: The Nihilism God=False route.
 Simple. No meaning. At least, no inherent meaning.
 One can still make their own purpose but it must be realised that ultimately all actions you take are meaningless.
 No reason not to take them though, since your inaction is equally as meaningless.
 Once we die we simply cease to be. Infinite void, essentially incomprehensible to us and pointless to meander on.

Possibility #2: The Nihilism God=True route.
Slightly more complicated but similar to the above. No inherent meaning.
God or Gods exist, but they have basically nothing to do with humanity. They aren't omnipotent or omniscient, simply things beyond our understanding. (Think Xel'Naga.) May have instigated the big bang or even directly created humans.
May actively 'watch over' humans but the more likely one in my opinion in this scenario is that they simply don't care about us. Humans aren't some sort of 'special chosen race'. We are no more important than a particularly dominant strain of animal.
No afterlife, same as above. Everything (including the gods) eventually fade from existence. The universe may not end but everything that exists 'now' will have utterly no meaning 1000 billion years later.

Anyway, the primarily 'Nihilistic' views dealt with, the remaining ones aren't predominantly Nihilistic but there may be elements of it interspersed.

Possibility #3: The Christians are (mostly, details may vary) Right route.
I'm going to be totally honest here. Out of all the other possibilities this one feels like the least likely one to me. It just doesn't 'click', so to speak. Regardless, I do hold that it is possible but highly unlikely. (To me. Don't take this as an insult if you're Christian.)
Anyway, in this case the meaning of life is to be God's playthings. Free will may or may not be proved to be irrelevant. God may use Its omnipotence to somehow make it possible when it shouldn't be.
Afterlife exists. Likelihood of being sent to hell dependent on various things I have no idea about. Taking God out of the equation (which is like saying 'taking the equation out of the equation') the meaning of life *should* be to be kind to others, be happy, be close to God, etc. Humans are The Most Important Thing so anything noteworthy occurring outside of our galaxy is unlikely. (It's like the out-of-bounds area in a video game.)
Quite hilariously, this is probably one of the routes that I most want to be the correct one but also thing is extremely unlikely.

Possibility #4: The 'All Is One' route.
Basically whatever LordBucket says when/if they answer this. I think the ending part of what I'm saying here is different to their belief though.
Essentially, All That Is is God. Or, rather, parts of It.
Quite intriguing option. One of my personal favorites outside of the Nihilistic views because it actually seems quite likely (in comparison to some of the others at least.)
I wouldn't really consider 'God' an entity in this path and more of 'The Will of Reality' sort of thing.
I'd say the meaning of life here would be to collect as many experiences and as much knowledge as possible, eventually returning and bring it with you to the All. Interesting in that, depending on interpretation, this route suggests that things such as the Holocaust (no I'm not saying I support it personally) are not 'negative' events. Of course, while I hold that objective morality does not exist anyway, in this case it suggests that all events that differ to others in some way are positive, due to being a 'different' experience that may be brought to the All. Using math speak it would be like everything was measured in magnitude.

Possibility #5: The 'Your Existence is an Illusion' route.
Kind of weird. Differs to the Nihilistic viewpoint in that everything is what you believe it to be (which is somewhat true regardless. Humans simply cannot be sure that objective reality exists.) but also holds that everything is meaningless. Not normally meaningless, but super ULTRA meaningless, in the sense that not only do your actions and their repercussions and their repercussion's repercussions become meaningless, but every single thing essentially never even existed to begin with. (Kind of like baking a cake and then not eating the cake compared to just not baking the cake.)

-------------

DISCLAIMER: All of these things are simply personal... Thoughts? Regardless, being Agnostic I hold that every single one of these (and many, many more that I haven't written out. Also, all of these are more detailed, I've just kind of put down what I felt like) are possible, though in varying degrees of possibility. Also, please don't get offended by anything (like the Holocaust mentioning) since all of these are written with the assumption that the possibility they're describing is actually correct.

Sorry if I went into a little bit too much detail, but I felt that explaining the mindset that the meaning was being derived from was important to explaining why I thought it was that meaning, if that makes any sense.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #474 on: January 03, 2015, 12:45:13 pm »

I don't think Christianity has any particular 'meaning of life' laid out. You make your own meaning, really. Being like God is an ideal, but I'm not sure it's the reason we exist.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 03, 2015, 01:04:13 pm »

Exactly what UXLZ said, but from XKCD.

Honestly, I'm gonna be blunt. There is a single, correct meaning of life. It's not idealist, it's just a fact. Life is being born, reproducing, and dying. That's the meaning of life, keeping your bloodline alive.

That's not the meaning of living, however. Living is the parts in between.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 03, 2015, 01:08:54 pm »

All people:

To bring glory to god and by doing so bring as many people as you physically can to the religion and live as sinless a life as you can.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 03, 2015, 01:16:34 pm »

Cryxis: If that's the meaning, then why have life? All that could be achieved if we weren't born, but lived in Heaven with God from the start. Everyone would know the truth of God. No one would sin. There would be eternal glorification of God.

Is there no other Christian meaning for life that couldn't be achieved by not living?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 03, 2015, 01:25:11 pm »

Cryxis: If that's the meaning, then why have life? All that could be achieved if we weren't born, but lived in Heaven with God from the start. Everyone would know the truth of God. No one would sin. There would be eternal glorification of God.

Is there no other Christian meaning for life that couldn't be achieved by not living?
Because god wants a real relationship with us, and by doing what you said there wouldn't be choice we would just be little robots walking around singing praise like some of the angels. Instead god gave us choice to do right or wrong which allowed a real relashionship with him and through that we can choose to praise him.

I forgot in the meaning of life part to add, have a real relashionship with god along with praising him

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 03, 2015, 01:39:26 pm »

Cryxis: What's wrong with being an angel? They seem to have choice/free will just as we do. They have personalities, and don't seem like mindless robots to me. They decided to rebel, unless you believe God made them decide to rebel? Satan, IIRC, is an angel that chose a different path to what God wanted.

As such, angels seem to be as capable of having a real relationship with God as we are, if not moreso given that they can actually perceive him, unlike us.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 52