Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the new format?

I like it better than the last one
It's good, but I don't see the need with the discussion thread
It's not going to go anywhere good, just lock it now.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52

Author Topic: Religion Questions Thread  (Read 56123 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Religion Questions Thread
« Reply #675 on: January 19, 2015, 09:41:49 am »

Who's responsible for your ROTC training? Because if it's a state curriculum, that's NK level of brainwashing there.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 19, 2015, 09:46:15 am »

JROTC, forgot the junior part
The US military IIRC, its two former airforce sergeants (however you spell that) teaching the course.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 19, 2015, 09:55:07 am »

I would like to ask 4maskwolf.

Do the Catholic Church considers the wine and bread commemoration literally as eating jesus flesh and blood?
Just repeating...
Also I ask Helgoland (is he answering?) what is transsubstantiation?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #678 on: January 19, 2015, 09:58:58 am »

I'll violate at least one thread rule (as a Methodist) and answer those:

Transsubstantiation is the doctrine that the sacrament becomes the body and blood of Christ.

That is literal and figurative. The 'substance' of the sacrament becomes the body and blood, but the 'species' remains bread and wine.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 19, 2015, 10:05:13 am »

Thanks, now I understand, changes group but not civ...
I do find that to be wrong tought, reading the bible has led to believe that it was just plain wine and bread, a piece of foreboding on the blood he would give as price for humanity. Figurative language if you will.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #680 on: January 19, 2015, 10:07:20 am »

That's my belief as well. It's a reminder to Christians as well, to remember His sacrifice.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 19, 2015, 10:49:37 am »

Yes, that's a important point, he told us to keep doing it in his memory, and we wouldn't have his blood and flesh readly avaliable for long, so it must be regular wine and regular bread, or else we wouldn't be able to do it.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 19, 2015, 12:06:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On Jesus, if nothing else I still hold my faith that he existed.

An hypothetical question: if you had discovered beyond any doubt that Jesus never existed, would it make you doubt your religion?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:09:38 pm by Vilanat »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 19, 2015, 01:32:45 pm »

Also I ask Helgoland (is he answering?) what is transsubstantiation?
What Arx said :D
I do find that to be wrong tought, reading the bible has led to believe that it was just plain wine and bread, a piece of foreboding on the blood he would give as price for humanity. Figurative language if you will.
Well, he was quite plain about it: 'This is my flesh', 'This is my blood'. Pretty heavy-handed for figurative speech, especially considering that it has no rhetoric effect. If we accept the bible as source material, it must be something more than a mere symbol.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 19, 2015, 01:48:16 pm »

On the topic of Just War, I could only imagine the level of destruction there would be if the world used the 'eye for an eye' theory.
If the current superpowers were utterly unconcerned with innocent and civilian casualties, they could use the 'terrorist threat' to start a religious persecution of a size not seen since WWII- if not the 1600's.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 19, 2015, 01:54:07 pm »

On the topic of Just War, I could only imagine the level of destruction there would be if the world used the 'eye for an eye' theory.
That's a common misunderstanding: 'Eye for an eye' is meant to restore the balance of justice, precisely in order to /prevent/ the kind of blood feud-like behaviour you refer to.
Most of the time the actual eye-removal was replaced by monetary compensation anyway.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 19, 2015, 01:55:23 pm »

Were the early Christians catholic? :P
I ask because you said canibal, the other side of Christianity (Protestant?) doesn't do the bread and wine ceremony the same way.
They were, actually. Go look up the definition of 'Catholic' sometime - it doesn't mean Roman-Catholic. And since the Roman-Catholic Church is the immediate descendant of the early Church and the pope the successor of St. Peter, one could even argue that they were - in a very loose sense - Roman-Catholic. They certainly believed in transsubstantiation in any case: That particular bit of dogma was only thrown out when the reformation came around.

The early church had many sects whose beliefs were radically  different fr0m roman catholicism until the roman emperor constantine demanded that they agree upon a single generic denomination.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 19, 2015, 02:04:03 pm »

If you wanna get technical about it, it'd be the Orthodox church I suppose? Until the Great Schism it was all one church until the bishop of Rome declared himself pope and the Pope and the Patriarch both excommunicated each other. Fun times.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 19, 2015, 02:04:48 pm »

And thus, the Wycliffe movement was born.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 19, 2015, 02:11:18 pm »

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52