Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think of the new format?

I like it better than the last one
It's good, but I don't see the need with the discussion thread
It's not going to go anywhere good, just lock it now.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 52

Author Topic: Religion Questions Thread  (Read 56160 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religion Questions Thread
« Reply #570 on: January 16, 2015, 12:19:04 am »

Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 16, 2015, 12:24:53 am »

I'm fairly sure this is proof of the ontological argument, somehow. :P
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 16, 2015, 12:23:51 pm »

At this point, it would probably be the better idea to wait for a practitioner to join in and answer, or at least someone that actually has some vague idea of what they're talking about and isn't just making WAGs in regards to the hindu perspective.

My own WAG would probably be that intelligence actually has a lot to do with it. You have to be able to understand the illusion to step beyond it and whatnot, or at least be aware of your own lack of awareness. And beyond that, most of the greater expressions of the brahman (i.e. the gods) are largely human in shape. It's reasonable enough to assume that those things which are closest to the greater manifestations known are higher truths. Doesn't preclude the possibility of higher entities above the known gods that are animal-shaped and whatnot, nor does it preclude the possibility that our own perception of the truth has colored our perception of the higher entities, but the brahman doesn't really preclude much of anything, technically, so far as I know.

Really, when it comes right down to it, humans are the only species I'm aware of that can actually dance. There's plenty of mating and territorial displays out there, but to dance just to dance... that's pretty much ours and ours alone. If anything puts us closer to the hindu conceptualization of the gods, it's probably that.

Do we dance just to dance, though?  I'm sure anthropologists would have a field day with a notion like that.
Shoes...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 16, 2015, 12:29:30 pm »

Yea. It's really one grandiose mating display, or so it could be argued.

Raves, etc.

As for dancing by yourself, that could just be attributed to an expression of pleasure much like a dog's wagging tale.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 16, 2015, 12:32:49 pm »

At this point, it would probably be the better idea to wait for a practitioner to join in and answer, or at least someone that actually has some vague idea of what they're talking about and isn't just making WAGs in regards to the hindu perspective.

My own WAG would probably be that intelligence actually has a lot to do with it. You have to be able to understand the illusion to step beyond it and whatnot, or at least be aware of your own lack of awareness. And beyond that, most of the greater expressions of the brahman (i.e. the gods) are largely human in shape. It's reasonable enough to assume that those things which are closest to the greater manifestations known are higher truths. Doesn't preclude the possibility of higher entities above the known gods that are animal-shaped and whatnot, nor does it preclude the possibility that our own perception of the truth has colored our perception of the higher entities, but the brahman doesn't really preclude much of anything, technically, so far as I know.

Really, when it comes right down to it, humans are the only species I'm aware of that can actually dance. There's plenty of mating and territorial displays out there, but to dance just to dance... that's pretty much ours and ours alone. If anything puts us closer to the hindu conceptualization of the gods, it's probably that.

If my history teacher is telling us correctly, Brahmin is actually the nobles class of humans
In India (at least ancient India) classes were very important and you were born into them and when you reincarnated back into a human you would move in the classes up or down or stay where you were.
I forget which god they it from but the classes symbolize that gods body.
The head is the Brahmin which are nobles.
The (arms?) are the (kashatera?) which are the warriors.
The thighs/upper legs were the (vysias?) were the workers. And the Feet were the Shudra who were the servants to the above classes

And IIRC most Hindu gods were humanoid
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #575 on: January 16, 2015, 12:35:31 pm »

Well, apart from Vishnu (? the Destroyer, I think) with six arms, and Ganesh, who is as elephantoid as he is humanoid...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 16, 2015, 12:37:49 pm »

I did say humanoid not human.
The majority of the ones I know look pretty humany, give it take a few limbs

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #577 on: January 16, 2015, 12:42:17 pm »

Looks like I got Vishnu and Shiva's titles switched, and the number of arms wrong. Oops. It's been a while since I studied this stuff.

But yeah, they are moderately humanoid. Shiva (actually the Destroyer) is formless, but Shakti is represented as a humanoid female.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 16, 2015, 12:47:08 pm »

I think Vishnu, Shiva, and one other god that their name scapes me are all just three sides of the same god.
One is the creator one is the destroyer and the other I forget

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #579 on: January 16, 2015, 12:50:33 pm »

And Brahma.

Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva are the Creator, Preserver and Destroyer respectively, and they are different aspects of the Supreme Being. There are a whole host of personal gods though, so it gets a little confusing.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 16, 2015, 12:52:59 pm »

Ya that's what it was

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 16, 2015, 01:32:31 pm »

If my history teacher is telling us correctly, Brahmin is actually the nobles class of humans
In India (at least ancient India) classes were very important and you were born into them and when you reincarnated back into a human you would move in the classes up or down or stay where you were.
I forget which god they it from but the classes symbolize that gods body.
The head is the Brahmin which are nobles.
The (arms?) are the (kashatera?) which are the warriors.
The thighs/upper legs were the (vysias?) were the workers. And the Feet were the Shudra who were the servants to the above classes

"Brahman", "Brahmin", and "Brahma" refer to three totally different things IIRC
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 16, 2015, 01:47:15 pm »

Oh... I thought Brahman and Brahmin were just two different spellings of the word

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #583 on: January 16, 2015, 02:33:57 pm »

Brahma is the creator aspect. A Brahmin is a member of the Brahmin caste or a teacher/priest, sort of like the Jewish Rabbi, as far as I can tell. Brahman is the highest form of reality/the supreme self.

I find Hindu theology hard to follow, to be honest. It's abstract and philosophical.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 16, 2015, 04:26:15 pm »

Brahma is the creator aspect. A Brahmin is a member of the Brahmin caste or a teacher/priest, sort of like the Jewish Rabbi, as far as I can tell. Brahman is the highest form of reality/the supreme self.

I find Hindu theology hard to follow, to be honest. It's abstract and philosophical.

Plus, as stated, several major concepts are spelled and sound very similar and its confusing.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 52