Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: You Only Build Once  (Read 19848 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Only Build Once
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2014, 05:56:44 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater

You dastardly genius.

I get worse. :P

Rule #13: You may use advfort (needs dfhack) but only in failed dwarf fortresses (abandoned, successfully invaded or no dwarf residents left).

Summary: Much abuse of a ruined dwarf fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And now I need to sleep. :D
More tomorrow.
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2014, 09:28:02 am »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Summary: Died. Nice stuff on ground somewhere south of Glazeowls.

Save file: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10351

P.S. On using Advfort
* Some things may cause crashes, like building something where an object is in the way.
* If you can't work out how to do something - ask here or in the advfort thread.
* Advfort is very powerful, but it does take a lot of game time to use.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:39:10 am by ptb_ptb »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2014, 09:41:34 am »

Oooooh.  Crafting now!  That'll mix things up for the kobolds!

Being able to create armor will be a huge boone.

Can't wait until later in the week when I can take Drukubeekus out for a spin and get him armored.  Provided I can find an abandoned fort anywhere close by, anyway.  I'd take him up to my old failed fort, but it looks like another kobold already beat me to it  :P.

It's been a while since I last used Advfort, so I'll have to take some time to reaquaint myself.

EDIT:  YUS!  Crashed a test world with Advfort already.  I am the master!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:17:13 am by Tacomagic »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2014, 12:08:49 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

I'd take him up to my old failed fort, but it looks like another kobold already beat me to it  :P.

You should pay a visit if you're in the area. And it's not like my (dead) kobold has any claim on it. :P

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2014, 02:19:37 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

I'd take him up to my old failed fort, but it looks like another kobold already beat me to it  :P.

You should pay a visit if you're in the area.

That's the other part of the problem.  To my knowledge Beekus is nearly on the other side of the map from the fort.  Would be easier/faster/whathaveyou to just make a closer fort and abandon it after the turn.

Granted, my last fort was relatively close by (about 3-5 days journey as I recall), so, given the high turnover of sites, it's possible that it's already abandoned and waiting.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2014, 03:07:34 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Granted, my last fort was relatively close by (about 3-5 days journey as I recall), so, given the high turnover of sites, it's possible that it's already abandoned and waiting.

I peeked around with LegendsViewer. Don't look if you don't want to be 'spoiled'.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2014, 01:05:40 am »

That's why I make a point to program in middling life spans for goblins.  Their immortality mixed with their aggression makes their takeover otherwise completely inevitable.

I'm trying to remember, but I think when you embark a new fortress, the starting seven are created from the ether as fresh bodies in the world.  So, provided that each fort loses less than 7, population growth should remain positive barring any attacks in simulation.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2014, 03:58:50 am »

That's why I make a point to program in middling life spans for goblins.  Their immortality mixed with their aggression makes their takeover otherwise completely inevitable.
The world is only 50-odd years old. Life span obviously isn't the biggest factor.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2014, 09:30:46 am »

The world is only 50-odd years old. Life span obviously isn't the biggest factor.

Forgot that it was so young.  Probably has something to do with the kidnapping thing, then.  Might also be that the world is too young so the site limitations gimped the other races.  I think it was Quietust who mentioned a kind of a "golden zone" for site spawning that ends at about 200-250 years.  I can't remember the details though  :(.

In any event, I guess that means we're going to need to get some kobolds geared up for goblin hunting.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2015, 09:21:14 pm »

Good news, Ptb!  From today's update on the next patch:

"I also fixed a crash that has been happening in unretired forts (generally when the caravan arrived)."

Looking at the bug report, that's yours.

Also:

THIS IS A DOWNLOAD NOTIFICATION!  IN COMIC SANS, NO LESS!

EDIT:  Well, shit.  Looks like at some point the save got reverted to before my previous turn, so that fort no longer exists in the world.  That would explain why the save I posted has 0 downloads.  Guess I'll spend the turn trying to get that fort back.  My guess is that Bigheaded downloaded the save that PTB posted before I took my last turn.  Kinda demoralizing that it all just got buggered by a botched download, but I shall soldier onward.  Just go ahead and read my last turn post and assume whatever I'm about to do is a carbon copy of that.  Going to pick the same site and just run the fort as fast as possible without stopping to take any pictures or do documentation.  Should get it done by tomorrow evening if not sooner.

EDIT EDIT:
Actually, it's all starting to feel like more work than it's worth.  Probably because I'm tired right now and can't be assed to do anything productive.  I'm going to go ahead and cancel my turn and see how I feel about everything in the morning.  If nobody else has stepped forward to take the save, maybe I'll be in the right frame of mind to get that fort back. Right now it just seems like unfun drudgery to do all that again.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:09:31 pm by Tacomagic »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2015, 01:04:32 am »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Guess I'll spend the turn trying to get that fort back.  My guess is that Bigheaded downloaded the save that PTB posted before I took my last turn.

Ouch, that sucks. BUT it should be reverted to your save! Bigheaded's turn was where things got messed up, so your fortress should definitely be kept!

What I suggest is
*1* Rule changes since your fortress turn are kept, but all saves after then are invalid.
*2* You have a cup of your favorite beverage and relax.
*3* Me, or someone else, downloads your fortress turn and take Turn Fourteen.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2015, 02:52:50 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

Guess I'll spend the turn trying to get that fort back.  My guess is that Bigheaded downloaded the save that PTB posted before I took my last turn.

Ouch, that sucks. BUT it should be reverted to your save! Bigheaded's turn was where things got messed up, so your fortress should definitely be kept!

What I suggest is
*1* Rule changes since your fortress turn are kept, but all saves after then are invalid.
*2* You have a cup of your favorite beverage and relax.
*3* Me, or someone else, downloads your fortress turn and take Turn Fourteen.

Feeling better about the world as a whole today.  Just had a rough day yesterday and losing that fort felt like another straw on the camel.  So many things had gone right with it (Steel, Silver, Adamantine, Legendary +4 weaponsmith in a migration wave to name a few).

I'm going to see if I can salvage everyone's saves and just rebuild that fort.  Losing that legendary +4 weaponsmith is going to slow things down a lot, but I'll be ignoring all the rules for this run since the aim is to recover lost ground.  That should keep things ticking over.  I'm also disabling invasions and the like so that I can focus on fort building.  Kinda boring, but not having to worry about gobs will be nice.

I also fully intend to use every exploit short of DFHacking in everything.  The gloves come off in that regard.  Say hello to gainful steel melting.

And, in the interest of science, I'll make sure to rebuild the entryway in all its glory.

EDIT: HAH!  That legendary weapon smith showed up in the second wave.  Nobody is bringing me any wood (not even the elves) but at least the gainful smelting has been productive.  Have an entire steel industry based on 4 bars I brought with.

Meanwhile, the entrance way is almost fully erected.

EDIT EDIT:  DIGGY DIGGY HOLE!

The pile is slowly filling up with masterwork weapons :D.  I'm also producing a ton of backpacks, waterskins, and bags this time since they seem to be kinda rare in the world.  They will be stacked neatly in some rear chambers to the weapon cache.

I also seem to have inherited a bunch of "bobs" who I've been using for grunt work.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Bob1 just made an artifact statue named after himself during a strange mood.  This is why we can't have nice things.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:01:06 am by Tacomagic »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2015, 03:21:34 pm »

Ok, almost done with the fort.  I took it a bit further than I did last time, so that extended this turn out quite a bit more.

I'm just finishing up filling the treasure room: 

It's a 22x21 room that will shortly be filled with masterwork weapons.  Yes, that is right, when completed it will hold 462 masterwork weapons.  I considered enabling bins but I'm not that crazy.

There are also 3 treasure closets in the back there where I have stashed backpacks, glass vials, and bags.

I considered encrusting them all, but I'm not that masochistic at this point.

There are also other goodies spread all over the damn place.  This is mostly due to poor stockpile management on my part.  I... uh... started drinking halfway through and stopped caring about a lot of things.  Such as the run-away cat population and overflowing trade depot.  There are also lots of questionable architectural decisions.

Amazingly, the FPS is still solid at 100 even with 50 cats running around crazy, so the optimizations Toady put in really are apparent in this fort.  I think the lowest I've seen the FPS dip to is 80.

Also, these dwarves have made it their mission to repopulate the dwarven species.  As of writing this, there are 21 children and babies, accounting for 1/3 of the total population.

Anyway, I'm just waiting for the stockpile to fill up at this point, then I'll seal the room, retire the fort and put up the save.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 04:08:12 pm by Tacomagic »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2015, 05:05:44 pm »

And it's done!

Since this was just a recovery turn, I'm not making a new rule, but I also didn't follow any of the rules, so it evens out.

As per last time, the door to the treasure vault is sealed with a diabolical mechanism for those who wish to undertake such a deadly challenge.

Otherwise, the fort is lousy with all kinds of other goodies.  You'll find a massive pile of exceptional weapons in the crafting area if you don't want to bother with the vault.  There is a pile of stuff in the magma glass furnace and leather workers, which should provide vials, bags, and backpacks.  There are also other little secrets and spoils ferreted around the fort if you choose to explore.  No idea how long those will remain in their current locations as I'm sure the dwarves will feel free to start moving everything around.

As with the last fort, once you figure out the puzzle to the vault and have pillaged some equipment, please reseal the door when you leave to prevent the items from being scattered.

Before Retire: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10381

After Retire (Current Save): http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10382

And no, I did not unleash the demons into the fort, though I will admit to being very tempted to do so.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:09:12 pm by Tacomagic »

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2015, 05:39:26 pm »

I'm a cheating cheater.

And no, I did not unleash the demons into the fort, though I will admit to being very tempted to do so.

I note that that does not preclude a cunning device connected to a lever to break into the Hugely Fun Stuff ;)

Aaaanyway, it's too late for me to start anything today. Everybody else has a chance to grab a turn before I wake up tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9