Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Linked Worlds. ((Planning and possibly OOC thread.)  (Read 17690 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Linked Worlds. ((Planning and possibly OOC thread.)
« Reply #225 on: December 13, 2014, 05:03:06 pm »

Though, except for extremely soft sci-fi ones, most DEWs run on physics, so unless those are markedly different the only logistical problem is finding energy sources with the right power density to sustain them. I.E. just try getting 15MJ AND get it in the form of useable electrical current in a medieval world.

Acceptable breaks from Reality comes into play.  If we left it at 'hard sci-fi' tech works everywhere, there's nothing stopping an
advanced civilization conquering reality by just providing enough batteries to their soldiers/power to their capital ships/etc.
Er, no. Because they would be facing mages/soft-sci-fi people on their own soil, where their tricks also work perfectly. Fakeedit: Also what Hugo said.

This whole "tech shouldn't work for balance reasons" thing is also bothering me because in my planned setting, there's a city-state that makes a significant part of its revenue on exploiting a portal to a sci-fi-ish world to buy railguns/shields/whatever in exchange for enchanted items (which, by general consensus, should function, if I haven't missed anything). It's a plot point of sorts.

Well I think it is more soft tech (which is generally far more advanced/powerful than Hard tech), would in another universe slowly become less efficient. Hard tech would just require power but has to actually be possible without any handwaving. In my opinion it would be better to balance the two by using the fact that two different soft scifi weapons are not going to use the same powersource everywhere and thus limit the options for resupply. Hard scifi will generally be able to be linked to a generator relatively easily in far more places. Effectively this would leave balance to the supply of esoteric power v the demand by PC's to make soft and hard weapons both viable.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 13, 2014, 05:21:34 pm »

Avis, could just have the Scifi and Magic worlds that you're doing function with the same magic and physical laws, just the scifi one focused on tech and the magic focused on magic.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2014, 05:47:23 pm »

Avis, could just have the Scifi and Magic worlds that you're doing function with the same magic and physical laws, just the scifi one focused on tech and the magic focused on magic.
Yeeeah. But I planned to latch on to some other GM's sci-fi world for that (if we will have one). That means I don't get to create both worlds. I can always say "oh, my world's rules are the same as yours but magic, man/gurl", and that's what I'll probably do, but it feels like a bit of a cop-out.

I just thought of another thing. Are we going to all use the same game mechanics? For example, what do we do if GM A uses a d6, and writes his skill bonus calculations with a d6 in mind, and then the players travel to a world whose GM uses a d20?

Edit: or, even better, with no skill system at all?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 13, 2014, 07:40:02 pm »

Yeeeah. But I planned to latch on to some other GM's sci-fi world for that (if we will have one). That means I don't get to create both worlds. I can always say "oh, my world's rules are the same as yours but magic, man/gurl", and that's what I'll probably do, but it feels like a bit of a cop-out.
Your world has magic. Even if the soft-science equipment should not function, they can be augmented with the world's natural magic to function, possibly to even greater extents than before.

Hell, it could export enchanted versions of the sci-fi world's equipment and then keep charging them for the mana storage units needed to power them.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:43:45 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 13, 2014, 11:39:38 pm »

PTW and may or may not add ideas.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2014, 06:43:13 pm »

PTW since EMP said it might be enjoyable.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2014, 09:45:12 pm »

Question. If say some humans popped into a Toystory-like world would they be toy sized? ((Please note I'm still catching up so sorry if this has already been discussed.))
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:47:14 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 23, 2014, 09:46:33 pm »

Well, just going on Toystory, presumably they'd be human sized since the world has humans. More details are needed.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 23, 2014, 09:50:01 pm »

Just thinking because it seems as though interaction between characters could be important and that doesn't really work with such a scale difference.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 24, 2014, 06:03:11 am »

Just thinking because it seems as though interaction between characters could be important and that doesn't really work with such a scale difference.
Why the heck not? I see so many options for !!hilarity!!. Plus little people would make splendid assassins in bigworld. Just crawl in under the door and fire their tiny plasma lances down your ear canal right into your brainstem.

Also, tactical midgets.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 24, 2014, 12:54:17 pm »

If you do want it the other way around, it could be that the toys in that world are normal-human sized, while the humans of that world are colossal giants.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]