Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Linked Worlds. ((Planning and possibly OOC thread.)  (Read 17715 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Linked Worlds. ((Planning and possibly OOC thread.)
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2014, 03:06:16 pm »

This appears to be the general consensus so far.  Tell me if I've missed a topic.

Conduits between realities: Directly from dimension to dimension.  GMs have control over which dimension the conduits go to, but not where the conduits end up within that dimension, or whether they are one-way or both directions.  That is decided by the GM of the destination dimension.  Dimensions that have had long use of the conduits will be able to construct 'checkpoints' along it.

Universal force working against the players: No.

Magic: Depending upon type either slowly restores through use of the mage's metabolism or is inaccessible when upon a world with a different type of magic. Naturally replenishes when in the home dimension.

Item shifts to fit with dimension's setting: No.

Skills shift to fit dimension's setting: No.

Incompatible laws death: Barrier is in place to prevent immediate death.  This slowly drains away over time (possibly with greater speed the more separate the laws are?).
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2014, 03:12:52 pm »

This appears to be the general consensus so far.  Tell me if I've missed a topic.

Conduits between realities: Directly from dimension to dimension.  GMs have control over which dimension the conduits go to, but not where the conduits end up within that dimension, or whether they are one-way or both directions.  That is decided by the GM of the destination dimension.  Dimensions that have had long use of the conduits will be able to construct 'checkpoints' along it.

Magic: Depending upon type either slowly restores through use of the mage's metabolism or is inaccessible when upon a world with a different type of magic. Naturally replenishes when in the home dimension.

Incompatible laws death: Barrier is in place to prevent immediate death.  This slowly drains away over time (possibly with greater speed the more separate the laws are?).
Pretty much this.

I think the proposal is a bit limiting (mandatory presence of lovecraftian beings to at least some degree, mandation that every setting include indestructible souls.)
The illusion of destroyable souls is caused by some creatures being bound to a shell of energy that behaves like a second body, the definition of soul used here is the possibility of them existing or having existed in any timeline.
I don't like that as a concept. It's limiting. We're doing a colab here, best to leave the specifics on a world by world basis up to the GM rather then dictate standardized "magic" or "souls"

Same reason we decided not to do a universal Big Bad. It's limiting.
The Ciath-Naka are just another part of the setting.
HINT: The setting is very meta.
Again. That isn't what has currently been agreed upon. If you want to have all that local to your world you can, but we've pretty much all agreed on no universal big bad.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2014, 03:18:23 pm »

I didn't intend for them to be the BBEGs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2014, 03:23:03 pm »

Zeus and his kin were murderous and vain, considerably worse then the Titans ever were. They are effectively Big Bads.

And again. We aren't incorporating universal greater beings. If a GM wants to have one in Their setting, it works and They can do what they want with it. But forcing Eldritch Horrors on a peaceful, Slice of Life world is a bad idea and counterproductive to the whole concept.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2014, 03:25:58 pm »

Zeus and his kin were murderous and vain, considerably worse then the Titans ever were. They are effectively Big Bads.

And again. We aren't incorporating universal greater beings. If a GM wants to have one in Their setting, it works and They can do what they want with it. But forcing Eldritch Horrors on a peaceful, Slice of Life world is a bad idea and counterproductive to the whole concept.
Yeah I'll just say it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2014, 03:48:27 pm »

But what if people don't want to get all meta? It's not giving them much choice. Suppose someone wants to do an entirely secular setting with no higher beings? Having the GMs as creators actually present in the multiverse means, by extension, that that particular brane was created by a higher being.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2014, 03:53:23 pm »

But what if people don't want to get all meta? It's not giving them much choice. Suppose someone wants to do an entirely secular setting with no higher beings? Having the GMs as creators actually present in the multiverse means, by extension, that that particular brane was created by a higher being.
Eh, the Primordial Sea setting wasn't intended for something like this. I'll probably be back working on Eternal Dungeons.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2014, 04:57:54 pm »

I approve of this, with the possible exception of the magic thing. I thought we wanted to have mana not restore at all when in a mana-less dimension, all other on a case-by case basis? I am fine with what you have in your list too, though.

There was also the language thing, if you want to collect all the topics we've discussed so far.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2014, 05:02:52 pm »

There might be some flexibility for the magic depending on the exact mechanism. For example, people who rely on summoning things or drawing runes/hermetic circles (rather than internal energy) to do magic would be SOL in worlds where there's no magic/it doesn't work that way.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2014, 07:20:07 pm »

Also what about enchantments; do they just cease to function or do they gain charges? how do you replenish charges; is it only in home? or can they be replenished with foreign magic? Finally why are magical things treated this way when in other universes while a plasma gun can be taken nearly anywhere and used nearly anywhere and also (if you bring a generator)have its "charges" replenished nearly anywhere?
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2014, 07:21:27 pm »

For that, it may be possible to do something akin to imbuing the rune/hermetic circle with their universe's native energy, like how the proposed cross-plane 'mana pool' would work.

Ninja: A solution to the generator problem might include something like the specific dimension's physics wearing down the generator continuously so it won't be around forever. The damage would be difficult to repair when not in your native dimension, to prevent circumnavigating this.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:23:17 pm by Worldmaster27 »

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2014, 07:25:08 pm »

For that, it may be possible to do something akin to imbuing the rune/hermetic circle with their universe's native energy, like how the proposed cross-plane 'mana pool' would work.
This appeals more to me than having magic not work/recharge as otherwise tech becomes better as you can just lug an extra battery for your laser gun. I think that there should be some method for doing this magic storage thing so the resource is still limited but still able to function in other places.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2014, 07:33:34 pm »

Finally why are magical things treated this way when in other universes while a plasma gun can be taken nearly anywhere and used nearly anywhere and also (if you bring a generator)have its "charges" replenished nearly anywhere?
Because a plasma gun functions using basic, for lack of a better definition, real-world physics, which are assumed to be present in most worlds (Admit it. Our players are mostly going to be human/generally humanoid and made of matter, right?), while magic may be dependent on divine forces only present in one realm, or a type of intrinsic energy only present in one realm/several realms.

This appeals more to me than having magic not work/recharge as otherwise tech becomes better as you can just lug an extra battery for your laser gun. I think that there should be some method for doing this magic storage thing so the resource is still limited but still able to function in other places.
Yeah, you can lug a battery around, but presumably not an infinite number of batteries (I'm assuming all our GMs are reasonable). An idea that occured to me is that we can allow storing home-universe energy (mana, whatever) in items (amulets and so on), from which a mage can replenish his mana while in another world. Effectively magic batteries. That's gonna bring plasma rifles and fireballs to an equal level.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2014, 07:37:31 pm »

Could use manacrystals.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2014, 07:51:45 pm »

If a kind of creature from a world has the ability to gain more mana by killing other magical creatures, would that still function if it moved to a world with an incompatible kind of magic?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16