Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Linked Worlds. ((Planning and possibly OOC thread.)  (Read 17734 times)

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Linked Worlds. ((Planning and possibly OOC thread.)
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2014, 07:20:48 am »

I don't see any problem with you and anyone willing using Biomorphics in their own world, but it's not something we should have as an universal thing. These worlds will be very different - you could have a hardboiled detective world, a space opera world, a gritty military scifi world, a low fantasy world etc. side-by-side, and those suggestions might be thematically out of place/make no sense in many of them. It's all bit too... defined and limitng.
Well yeah, it wouldn't make sense if some backwater world where wheels are in short supply would have a classification for perpetually  screaming anthropomorphic crystals besides "scary and probably demonic".
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2014, 07:24:35 am »

Dimensional Adaptation is something we could do, maybe, but it'd take some of the fun out of being a fish out of water/spaceman in caveman setting from the players. Magic should be handled on a case-by-case basis by GMs.
Wait, what does Dimensional Adaptation have with spacemen/cavemen when both of those use the same rules of physics? I thought it was more of a cavemen/sapient plasma beings deal. Though it's unclear to me how that would work.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2014, 07:28:15 am »

Dimensional Adaptation is something we could do, maybe, but it'd take some of the fun out of being a fish out of water/spaceman in caveman setting from the players. Magic should be handled on a case-by-case basis by GMs.
Wait, what does Dimensional Adaptation have with spacemen/cavemen when both of those use the same rules of physics? I thought it was more of a cavemen/sapient plasma beings deal. Though it's unclear to me how that would work.

Err, yes, bad example. I'm not entirely sure myself now that I reread it, though - could you explain it in more detail?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2014, 07:31:40 am »

Err, yes, bad example. I'm not entirely sure myself now that I reread it, though - could you explain it in more detail?

Let's imagine a species that lives inside a universe where magnetism is much stronger, in their universe it's all fine and dandy. But if they go to a universe like ours their matter structure completely falls apart at the seams. And a human went to their universe they would be crushed into a little speck from all that highly magnetic iron in their systems.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2014, 07:54:08 am »

Let's imagine a species that lives inside a universe where magnetism is much stronger, in their universe it's all fine and dandy. But if they go to a universe like ours their matter structure completely falls apart at the seams. And a human went to their universe they would be crushed into a little speck from all that highly magnetic iron in their systems.

So basically, if I transfer to a universe where the magnetic constant is much higher, Dimensional Adaptation ensures I don't instantly die?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2014, 08:01:54 am »

So basically, if I transfer to a universe where the magnetic constant is much higher, Dimensional Adaptation ensures I don't instantly die?
Nope, you're talking about the delay, Dimensional Adaptation is actually the cause of death.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:06:21 am by King Kravoka »

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2014, 08:09:34 am »

Funny how I Miss this Since My Game is actually turning into a one man version of this, with the whole void between worlds.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2014, 08:10:40 am »

Nope, it's actually the cause of death.
Ah, I see. Well, that's pretty obvious actually - it's not like a rule, more like an absence of one (we have no special rule that protects you from dying if you poke your nose into a universe where the c=400 m/s or something like that). I can roll with that.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2014, 12:26:35 pm »

I think the proposal is a bit limiting (mandatory presence of lovecraftian beings to at least some degree, mandation that every setting include indestructible souls.)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2014, 01:06:26 pm »

I think if you go into an environmentally hostile universe, you feel very ill at ease till you exit, and if you stay too long, things start breaking, eventually causing death. If a universe has compatable rules, then you don't need to deal with this.

I disagree with a Mandatory Big Bad, not something every setting needs.

I don't like the biomorphics idea to be honest. Leave that kind of thing to GM's to define inworld, not really logical for erryone to have a singular definition.

Souls should not be indestructible, vary based on setting.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2014, 01:56:33 pm »

Aaand doublepost due to something irrelevant to the previous post's subject:

http://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/the-hero-we-never-asked-for.8757/

Give that a read. Interesting concept sorta similar to this.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2014, 02:08:37 pm »

I think if you go into an environmentally hostile universe, you feel very ill at ease till you exit, and if you stay too long, things start breaking, eventually causing death. If a universe has compatable rules, then you don't need to deal with this.

So when you cross from one world to another, you carry around you a bubble of sorts, a bit of your home world, that prevents the local laws of physics from murdering you - but that bit of home erodes over time. I like that idea.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2014, 02:32:32 pm »

I think the proposal is a bit limiting (mandatory presence of lovecraftian beings to at least some degree, mandation that every setting include indestructible souls.)
The illusion of destroyable souls is caused by some creatures being bound to a shell of energy that behaves like a second body, the definition of soul used here is the possibility of them existing or having existed in any timeline.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2014, 02:51:15 pm »

The illusion of destroyable souls is caused by some creatures being bound to a shell of energy that behaves like a second body, the definition of soul used here is the possibility of them existing or having existed in any timeline.
I don't like that as a concept. It's limiting. We're doing a colab here, best to leave the specifics on a world by world basis up to the GM rather then dictate standardized "magic" or "souls"

Same reason we decided not to do a universal Big Bad. It's limiting.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 12, 2014, 02:56:33 pm »

I don't like that as a concept. It's limiting. We're doing a colab here, best to leave the specifics on a world by world basis up to the GM rather then dictate standardized "magic" or "souls"

Same reason we decided not to do a universal Big Bad. It's limiting.
The Ciath-Naka are just another part of the setting.
HINT: The setting is very meta.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16