Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Linked Worlds. ((Planning and possibly OOC thread.)  (Read 17710 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Linked Worlds. ((Planning and possibly OOC thread.)
« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2014, 09:16:30 pm »

We could keep the scope a bit more manageable by having the portals only present on/near a single planet in any given universe. So maybe you have a future setting where people have spread across the stars but the inter-dimensional portals are all on/near/in Earth.
I actually have a setting planned that bypasses this issue entirely in the setting it's in. Portals will connect to a hubstyle funnel which then connects to a certain species's "rift" pocket dimension through a singular portal, said pocket dimension connects to all major planets and colonies that the species controls. And as they have a colony in most populated systems, fairly quick travel for the players across the stellar map if they can negotiate travel rights with the species. Compared to using standard FTL, it's exponentially faster.

Thematics, and if someone had a vast universe filled with all kind of worlds, the thread for the game containing it might become too bulky, depending on how far players were allowed to roam.
Possibly.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2014, 10:24:20 pm »

Thematics, and if someone had a vast universe filled with all kind of worlds, the thread for the game containing it might become too bulky, depending on how far players were allowed to roam.

Maybe put a limit of 5 habitable planets/moons accessible?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2014, 10:25:45 pm »

That's limiting.

I think it should be up to the GM as to what they can handle.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2014, 10:33:15 pm »

That's limiting.

...How is five whole planets being able to be used limiting?
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2014, 10:34:57 pm »

Planetary biomes/types.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2014, 10:38:14 pm »

Well, a planet can have any number of biomes, but I'd agree it should be up to the GM on how large they want to make their space, since they'd know what they can handle. For the sake of people going between, though, it might be good to keep in mind that characters could wind up in situations where they're stellar distances from the portal back to their world.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2014, 10:43:33 pm »

Planetary biomes/types.

Former only a limiting factor if you only use single biome planets.  What do you mean by 'types' if not biomes?

Well, a planet can have any number of biomes, but I'd agree it should be up to the GM on how large they want to make their space, since they'd know what they can handle. For the sake of people going between, though, it might be good to keep in mind that characters could wind up in situations where they're stellar distances from the portal back to their world.

The reason why I suggested the five planet limit is due to there not being much of a point to have several interconnected universes if you could find everything in your 'home' universe.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2014, 10:48:41 pm »

Why bother with limiting? What's the difference between a 100 planet game by itself and linked? Either way, one GM (or multiple, if that one GM gets help) with one thread runs a game involving 100 planets. If the GM can handle it, why stop them?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2014, 06:25:57 am »

Yah, I vote no limiting. Up to individual GM discretion.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2014, 06:30:49 am »

Yah, I vote no limiting. Up to individual GM discretion.
Me as well.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2014, 06:37:06 am »

Agreed on no limiting. A GM knows what kind of scale they want/need. There's no reason for the worlds to be similar in scale.

EDIT: Also - the concept of an unifying threat or element would be by no means mandatory to use, just something GMs can use to link their worlds together on some level, and maybe give a reason to travel to another. 'This bad guy's boss is in another dimension/this bad guy fled to another dimension! The hunt continues!'
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:39:57 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2014, 06:44:52 am »

Here is my proposal for a setting, fished from what was going to be an interactive webcomic.

Between realities is the Primordial Sea, a void where rigid order, formless chaos clash and the Ciath-Naka dwell.

Time works on "Homestuck" rules, where worlds have different separate timelines that occasionally enter with no real pattern. Some universes have different physics, and any entity from another universe inside those will slowly fall victim to Dimensional Adaptation, an effect where the physics of the native universe slowly stop affecting the object.

The Ciath-Naka are powerful beings who created the primordial sea by accident. Their forms are incomprehensible and they can create new universes from a straw thought. Occasionally they posses beings, pray that their will accepts defeat gracefully.

I'll just copy biomorphics information from the OP.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Souls exist in all realities as an unalterable, indestructible concept. Souls can be studied and copied by the Ciath-Naka and similarly powered beings.

"Magic" works differently in almost every universe, and is immune to Dimensional Adaptation. "Magic" includes things like the Force from Star Wars or Kryptonite, by the way. "Magical" effects and immunities do not combine well.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2014, 07:00:46 am »

I dunno if we need this whole biomorphics thing - the need to classify every living being along these lines just doesn't seem apparent to me.
The "magic working everywhere" thing is simpler than what we have in place, but it removes part of the lolz im managing a limited supply of mana in a hostile environment.
Now the Ciath-Naka are basically the very same Big Bad (not necessarily bad, but hey), that we've been arguing about for the last few pages, except also with distinctly Lovecraftian overtones, which may not suit the needs of everybody participating.
The rest I can go with (dunno about everybody else) but those first three seem slightly unnecessary to me.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2014, 07:07:40 am »

I dunno if we need this whole biomorphics thing - the need to classify every living being along these lines just doesn't seem apparent to me.
The "magic working everywhere" thing is simpler than what we have in place, but it removes part of the lolz im managing a limited supply of mana in a hostile environment.
Now the Ciath-Naka are basically the very same Big Bad (not necessarily bad, but hey), that we've been arguing about for the last few pages, except also with distinctly Lovecraftian overtones, which may not suit the needs of everybody participating.
The rest I can go with (dunno about everybody else) but those first three seem slightly unnecessary to me.
Biomorphics will probably be used only by a few diverse interstellar nations.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2014, 07:17:42 am »

I don't see any problem with you and anyone willing using Biomorphics in their own world, but it's not something we should have as an universal thing. These worlds will be very different - you could have a hardboiled detective world, a space opera world, a gritty military scifi world, a low fantasy world etc. side-by-side, and those suggestions might be thematically out of place/make no sense in many of them. It's all bit too... defined and limitng.

Dimensional Adaptation is something we could do, maybe, but it'd take some of the fun out of being a fish out of water/spaceman in caveman setting from the players. Magic should be handled on a case-by-case basis by GMs.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16