Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Chaos Reborn - The Wizards Do Not Actually Wrestle.  (Read 7349 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Chaos Reborn - The Wizards Do Not Actually Wrestle.
« on: December 10, 2014, 02:20:39 pm »

Chaos Reborn, a remake of the ancient Chaos, is now on Steam Early Access and looking pretty sweet.  Another Kickstarter-backed labor of love by a veteran developer (Julian Gollop, creator of the original Chaos and also XCOM), the game will eventually include a very elaborate multiplayer campaign mode where players can become lords of their own chaos realms for other players to challenge, and eventually become gods.  For now it's just the base wizard wrestling game which is sweet on its own.

G-G-G-GAMEPLAY

Chaos has a pretty cool gameplay design.  It's elements are all familiar but they come together in a unique way that's never really been replicated.  As the title suggests, the basic concept is two (or more) wizards duking it out with spells and occasionally fists, on a hex-based battlefield.  Your spellbook is represented by a deck of cards, mostly creatures along with a couple equipment spells and more direct magic.  Each spell has a percent chance to succeed depending on its power, ranging from 90% for the most basic creatures down to 50% or less for gamechanging spells.  Each spell also has an alignment, Law, Chaos, or Neutral, and casting spells of law or chaos will shift the magical climate towards that alignment.  This increases the chance of casting spells of that alignment.  While currently you can't customize your deck to focus on one alignment, working to shift the battle alignment with easy spells will help prepare for the big ones.  You can also augment cast chances with mana, attained by killing enemies, burning cards, and activating mana nodes.  Finally, creatures can be summoned as an illusion, which has a 100% success chance but dies automatically if attacked and can be destroyed remotely with the disbelieve spell.

The combat is also pretty unique, more akin to a board game in its style.  Nobody has HP, not even your wizard.  Each unit has attack and defense values for both physical and magic attacks.  All successful attacks are fatal.  This helps give the game that tense wizard battle feel you might know from games like Warlocks, where a single slip-up can be fatal.  We are dealing with wizards, who are known for dishing out way more than they can take.

It's a pretty tough game and can be frustrating in the same way a lot of RNG-centric games are.  Like Wesnoth and Blood Bowl, it can often feel like the dice hate you.  Sometimes the spell you need to cast will fail.  Sometimes a goblin will kill your hydra.  Very often you'll lose to magic bolts.  But it's still fun.  Like those games it's clear that a lot of the challenge of the game is learning how to manage risk and dispose of your limited resources effectively.

It's on a decent discount for the next week or so and worth the price in my opinion.  The early access has plenty of features and will only get better as they roll out more stuff.  Anybody else playing it?  Share your pro strats.  Here's mine:  Nobody ever disbelieves early 60-70% creatures like spiders and skeletons.  Skeletons especially can only be attacked by magic so they make for a pretty safe illusion
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:39:26 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Chaos Reborn - Wizard Wrestling by the XCOM Guy
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:28:37 pm »

So it's basically Mage Wars but computerized?

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 02:35:17 pm »

So it's basically Mage Wars but computerized?
Ah, good, I'm not the only person who had that thought.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 02:42:56 pm »

All of my wut
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 02:46:19 pm »

Been interested in this since I heard about the remake.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 03:57:18 pm »

Loved the original as a kid, so I picked this up as soon as I heard about it... which was only yesterday.

Not really the person for pro stats though (yet, at least) - so far I'm 3 wins to 6 losses :p

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 05:21:45 pm »

I used to love this game on the ZX Spectrum as a kid, especialy the sound effects
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 06:01:33 pm »

All the hype. Looking forward to picking it up whenever the opportunity arises.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 06:33:33 pm »

Links for the lazy:
Main game page.
Steam Store page. As mentioned, 15% off through December 16, 2014.
EDIT: RPS article.

Surprisingly pretty! It's got a nice kind of 3D board game look. I'll keep an eye on it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:57:44 pm by Oneir »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 09:49:43 pm »

Loved the original as a kid, so I picked this up as soon as I heard about it... which was only yesterday.

Not really the person for pro stats though (yet, at least) - so far I'm 3 wins to 6 losses :p

I'm 3/8 :3

My first game was a loss because of a derelict joystick driver that broke my camera and forced me to forfeit.  Then I won three games in a row and I haven't won a game since.
Shoes...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 10:37:10 pm »

The mentioned spells sound interesting and go beyond the usual fireball, frostball, lightning ball thing.

Though I must say, you mentioned "Wizard Wrestling" and my mind went straight to some weird cross of wizards and WWE.

"Gandalf jumps from the top rope! It's the signature "Sunrise in the East"! Elminster rolls away and reverses it into "Bigby's Grasping Hand!" What a twist this is ladies and gentlemen!"
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 11:09:32 pm »

I called it that because you can occasionally get wizards punching each other in the middle of the field.  That's very dangerous though, because magic bolt has a 100% cast chance and does physical damage so it bypasses your magic resistance. 

Magic bolt will probably kill you a lot.  One of the first and hardest lessons is learning to stay out of magic bolt range unless you know you can kill him that turn.

I'm still swearing by the illusion skeletons.  Nobody ever disbelieves them turn 1 because they're pretty decent chance and a common first summon, most enemies can't actually hit them to dispel them, and they still do normal damage to enemies.
Shoes...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 11:38:24 pm »

Picked this up and played a couple of games, it's pretty fun, though I'd really like to see some more of the promised features in the game (since right now something like 80% of menu buttons just lead you to a "awaiting future patch" message).

That said gooey blob so OP. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 12:48:44 am »

Am I right in understanding that this is that remake of that one classic game and NOT Mollywood Mordenkainen Hogan bodyslamming Gandalf The White Giant.

Because I got SUPER fucking hype when I saw "Wizard Wrestling" and pictured the latter.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 01:39:24 am »

It is a remake of the classic ZX Spectrum game.  Wizard Wrestling is a silly joke name I heard referencing the fact that wizards don't have a basic ranged attack and often resort to beating hte shit out of each other with their fists.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4