Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Chaos Reborn - The Wizards Do Not Actually Wrestle.  (Read 7340 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Chaos Reborn - The Wizards Do Not Actually Wrestle.
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2014, 09:07:56 am »

30 seconds to a 30 minutes, with 10 minutes being average I'd say.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2014, 09:28:59 am »

Yeah, also depends on playstyle.  A lot of newer players are very aggressive and move in close early on.  This usually leads to very short games with very abrupt magic bolt-induced endings. 

the reason I like very early illusions is that most people aren't comfortable risking a disbelieve on turn 1 or 2.  You can get away with some shenanigans because people are afraid to call you on htem.

I also had a couple crazy games the other day.  The one a guy dropped a giant on turn 1 and it was full win ein front of me.  He had neutral staff and I was like "There is no way he'd illusion a giant on turn 1 and not expect me to disbelieve, but what if he did an illusion knowing I'd think that?"

I spent the few turns I had getting my spells out and ready like normal, then disbelieved when it started getting close.  It was an illusion. Dammit.

The other game turned me on to a pretty hilarious but also extremely risky gambit.  If you have chaos staff and draw a hydra in your opening hand, you can burn two cards and cast the hydra with maximum mana for a 60% cast chance.  More if the other guy used a chaos spell before.  Turn one Real Hydra is awesome.  You're pretty much guaranteed an immediate disbelieve which just puts you even further in the lead.  It's risky as hell though, if it doesn't go through you just blew three cards and 15 mana for nothing on turn 1 and now you're the one with a probably insurmountable disadvantage.

The one time I did it he managed to subvert and the amount of energy I put into making it happen and then making it unhappen when it went wrong burned my deck out early so I lost.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2014, 10:01:42 am »

Turn one manticore is better in my opinion.

With that you threaten leaping across the map and murdering your opponent turn 2 or 3, even if you aren't actually planning on doing that.  You get mounted with great mobility, you get a ranged attack and a powerful melee attack, and there's still a good chance of wasting a disbelieve.  All that for 70%.  Worth doing if you've got some dwarves to burn.

The problem with the hydra is that its only option is slowly lumbering over to melee attack the enemy.  That and its magic resistance is only a little better than a giant, still a 77% subvert chance.  Really you want to use them right in the midst of a big battle where your opponent can't run away without sacrificing their army, or when they're hemmed in by growth spells and have nowhere to go.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2014, 10:16:07 am »

Yeah, that crossed my mind too.  Turn 1 manticore is a lot safer and stronger.  Except I rarely get Chaos Staff. 

I really can't wait for actual items to be implemented, the staff system sucks.  I hate getting growth and zap.  Zap at least you can just run straight up and try to bolt him but growth has no real consistent "win conditions" built in aside from goo.
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2014, 10:26:50 am »

Growth is like not having a staff.  You've got no mega, your boost is literally identical to chaos except with many less spells covered.  All you can do is spam goop and feel guilty.

I hate staff of weapons, zappppp, and growth, simply because they don't give any summons.  Weapons is bad too because the only reason you'd really want that staff is to 100% boost equipment spells.  But having the staff causes you to get 2+ duplicates of each, implying that we're expected to spend mana on incremental stat boosts just so our oh-so-valuable wizard can be better than the average summon.  At least zappp lets you kill enemy creatures in return for not having summons, and both zappppp and weapons give you a solid mega spell.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2014, 04:47:46 pm »

30 seconds to a 30 minutes, with 10 minutes being average I'd say.

Sweet.

I love Bloodbowl but the 1h games are a bit too long for comfort. Something shorter that scratches the same probability & tactics itch would be awesome.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2014, 05:47:09 pm »

That's a pretty decent comparison.  It's the kind of game where if you're bad it feels like hte dice hate you but it's really just poor risk management, similar to blood bowl.

A lot easier to manage risk though and more fun. 

And yes, Weapon staff is just a shittier version of law, like growth for Chaos.  Law and Chaos are the best staves period, neutrality is alright and can do some turn 1 trolls like chaos can with elephants and giants.
Shoes...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »

Does this game have any kind of persistence? Like in BB, where your team gets better over time? I love that in games.

Because if this is sort of like BB but with faster matches, I am all over it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 06:28:52 pm »

Does this game have any kind of persistence? Like in BB, where your team gets better over time? I love that in games.

I think? a persistent SP campaign with character building is planned, but not in yet. That's personally what I'm waiting for before I pick this up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2014, 12:46:26 am »

It has a very small amount at the moment; you can gain experience and levels, and each levelup unlocks a handful of cards and access to a new staff, which you're randomly assigned at the start of a match and which determines your mega-spell and boosts the cast chance gained from spending mana on associated spells.

Otherwise, yeah, it's supposedly coming but not there yet.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 01:48:25 am »

It seems Julian is considering removing the attack component of Gooey Blob, although from skimming the thread he started on the official site's forum it seems the players generally dislike the idea.
Given how weak said attack is, I'm curious how much this would really change things.
Having said this, I suppose it was only a matter of time until I found myself the first casualty in a four-wizard game with three goo kills.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:08 am »

Thanks guys!

I tried reading up more on the plans for how the persistence is going to work and there doesn't seem to be a lot of concrete information going around, so I decided to skip for now. For me these games make it on account of meta-leveling!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2015, 07:42:02 pm »

Hump the bump.

So apparently this reached v1.0. So far only available through steam but apparently the devs are looking into other distribution channels in due time. Does anyone have any precise intel on that? I'd prefer to buy through GOG, but might bow to Steam if it's long ways off.

Any thoughts? Does Bay12 have a modest player base for the occasional multiplayer fun times? It looks like a fun turn-based tactical combat romp that plays fast and looks pretty. Probably just what I'm in the mood for these days.

Steam link:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/319050/

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2015, 08:50:37 pm »

Haven't played in forever, but it was definitely a fun little arena thing last time I tried. I did sample the persistent features, but had no idea what I was doing or gaining from it.

For me at least, the game is pretty neat because of the mixture of tension and relaxation. It's extremely chance-based and everything, yourself included, dies in one hit, so every decision is important and anything can happen if you're (un)lucky enough. On the other hand, the matches aren't long or anything, so it lacks that sort of brutal edge that most other competitive games have; losing doesn't take long or feel like it has a real penalty to it, and the game's so random yet tactical anyway that it's hard to get mad that an eagle got his 15% shot off on you or whatever. Plus the turn-based and relatively clear nature of the game makes most of your fuckups the kinds of things you either accepted as a risk and did anyway, or should have seen coming but weren't paying attention to.

That said, I do seem to recall long queue times. One problem with relatively unpopular games is that fewer players means fewer people to play with, which in some cases starts snowballing into even fewer players because it's not worth the effort.

I'll have to give it another shot sometime, see what's new. Hopefully the single player content didn't wipe out the competitive stuff.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2015, 08:22:35 am »

Spent a few evenings on this myself. Got my ass kicked, but fun was had. I read some complaints about small player base but I was able to find games within a minute, I suppose late night Europe is good time to be online. But that's not why I'm posting.

PSA: the game got a free multiplayer demo.

Some limits apply, but basically you get to play standard MP for free. Anyone who likes X-COM or Blood Bowl or the like should definitely give this a try. Matches tend to hover in the 5-25 minute range for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4