Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59

Author Topic: The Mind: Day 4 - Finale  (Read 112504 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: Day 4 - Discovery
« Reply #840 on: February 24, 2015, 11:16:17 am »

((How long would a trip back to earth be?))
Start growing Mark 4 pups. Ask the mind if it can think of any other creatures that might be useful in my pups.

Mark 4? How does those differ from Mark 3?

"From what you have immediately available, Helios Crimson Attack Birds are one of the few animals I don't remember ever getting sick. And those color changing green flashing insects can cut off any of its sensory nerves at will.
 The ones you don't have corpses for, that one bird Mark wished to be his pet has ability to temporary boost its physical abilities to very high. I believe it is a type of adrenaline which permits its to do that, but stronger. Females also can reproduce without males present, but offspring generated by this way are always females. It might be parthenogenesis. One of biggest predators in this area can sense radio waves and use those to navigate. I believe you have already seen them. And Spaceus Rattus can switch its gender per demand.
 These at least are reasonably quickly available for you and only special things I'm aware at moment. Of course, animals do not have custom to perform autopsy on each other, so there might be others not so obvious useful things."

Since I'm not a scientist, I doubt I could get any useful info from the mummy. Examine the glowing panel.

Study the glowing pad as well also "I kinda want to activate it just to see if we can meet and alien intelligence" not including the mind

You see same as Cromwell does. Your fingers twitch, that one interface element is begging to be touched...

"Dear god...What is this? And, might I ask if it's only I who sees some small resemblance between these and our cloning tubes? And that last one..."

Probably foolishly reach out and touch the final tube, the one that is a "hole in reality".

For a hole it's rather solid. And sticky, as you find out. Longer you touch it, harder it is to pull your hand off.

Spoiler: Explorers (click to show/hide)

Currently we have following samples on ship:
Spoiler: In freezer (click to show/hide)
* Helios Crimson Attack Birds (1 dead) (Partially studied)
* Andrew`s Anormal Snakes (1 dead) (Partially studied)

Things in progress:
* Human/bone snake hybrid body horror. Something is wrong, it's not growing.
* Mystery mutant. ??
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 24, 2015, 11:24:16 am »

It's amphibious remember? I designed it a while ago.
Finish the amphibious pups. After it starts growing go outside with one of the mark 2 dogs and "search" for the adrenaline bird.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:30:58 am by The Froggy Ninja »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 24, 2015, 11:27:02 am »

Gills & lungs combination? No, you never actually finished that one.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Haveroszaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 24, 2015, 02:44:36 pm »

Look for fruits/berries that could be infected with the Mind, but are edible for humans.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 24, 2015, 04:39:48 pm »

Investigate the snakeman. Why isn't he growing!?
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 24, 2015, 07:16:39 pm »

Push the button
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 24, 2015, 07:39:27 pm »

Take my hand off the machine. Contact the infirmary, give authorization to Dave D. Davidson.
Contact Dave.
"Sorry, Dave, I was busy poking around the ship. Literally. You should have full infirmary access now, though."
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 25, 2015, 04:31:51 am »

"everyone get ready I'm going to push the button." PUSH THE BUTTON
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: Day 4 - Finale
« Reply #848 on: February 25, 2015, 11:17:53 am »

Finish the amphibious pups. After it starts growing go outside with one of the mark 2 dogs and "search" for the adrenaline bird.

You continue DNA analysis. Since you are already sitting down you can easily bury your head on your hands and take support from table. Damn those guys, they should have warned first...

Look for fruits/berries that could be infected with the Mind, but are edible for humans.

You find few, but you have no idea if those are edible for humans. You need to perform tests first to determine that.

Thankfully you are already on your knees, otherwise you would have fallen badly. You hold your head and scream!

Investigate the snakeman. Why isn't he growing!?

You manage to find out that the base cell has divided few times before you fall on your knees and hold your head in pain.

Take my hand off the machine. Contact the infirmary, give authorization to Dave D. Davidson.
Contact Dave.
"Sorry, Dave, I was busy poking around the ship. Literally. You should have full infirmary access now, though."

Authorization is given. You can barely keep standing, your legs shaking.

Push the button
"everyone get ready I'm going to push the button." PUSH THE BUTTON

This is where computer games usually would start cinematics. Imagine it as such.

Warning!

Warning!

Wall of text incoming!

Mark and Cromwell look at each other and understand perfectly what must be done. They don't need to say a word. Hell, they don't even need to think to each other! They are first humans on alien ship, and here is a button. A button. Single button on ancient alien space ship that predates whole human civilization. And buttons exist for a single purpose; to be pressed.

In beautifully synchronized motion they both raise their hands and touch the button at exactly same time. The button and all symbols on the panel fades to stable blue light. Mark and Cromwell raise their eyes into the darkness in front of them. For two seconds nothing happens and then, for a brief moment, it turns into a sun. Flash of light makes you blink your eyes. You barely manage to see a humanoid figure inside newly revealed tube before all life on the planet freezes. For a second time within few days The Mind is flooded with sapience, massive amount of knowledge and history of another species! With it becomes understanding.

Far away on another solar system there were a planet. It was filled with many forms life. Warm blooded animals, cold blooded animals, stationary plants and mobile plants. They were the latter kind, bipedal mobile plants. They had a name for themselves, in its core it meant same as "human" means. "Us". "Our kind".

They were unique among all creatures within their world, for they were sapient plants and they felt emotions. They also had ability to form all kind of chemicals within their own bodies. This gave them edge over herbivores hunting them and all harmful bacterias and viruses. Another feature set them apart of other life forms; symbiotic relationship with cold blooded animal. In your mind you can see the creature; four legged gliding snake. It is similar to the bone plated flying snake you have seen here. But back then those didn't have bone plates, just harder scales than usual. The snake ate small bugs and insects seeking to nest within them and in return they kept snakes safe.

They started to group together and build civilization. Their ability to produce various chemicals at will gave them quite curiosity towards science, and it was corner stone of their civilization. As time passed they eradicated all diseases from their world and with progress of science their ability became less and less used, until it finally devolved away. It wasn't a problem for them. After all, with technology they were able to produce much wider variety of chemicals than their organs were ever able to.

Time passed, and their skill in biology became vast. Someone thought possibility of hivemind created through science. Possibilities of such were unlimited and having no problems with science they began to work on it. First version they created was a bacteria unable to reproduce, for sake of safety. Test subjects were able to coordinate their actions on unconscious level. Second version allowed them to actually communicate, and third version permitted sharing of knowledge and memories. They envisioned great future for their species, and so they made final version of the bacteria: capable of reproduction, adaptive mutation against harm, and limited transfer methods.

This bacteria were then distributed to every people. And it was truly a boon for their science. No longer were genius minds lost to menial work! Every person, no matter where they were, had complete access to collective knowledge of their species, and were able to contribute for scientific pursuits. With full mental power of their entire species their technology level took massive leaps forward, one after another, away from biology oriented sciences to full range of fields.

And new positive features of hivemind were discovered. They found out that "Reality is playfield of the Mind". With enough of minds connected together via connectworldmind bacteria they were able to achieve true instantaneous communication. They were even able to coach particles popping in existence in preferred shape. Not large amounts, no, only about a cubic centimeter at once. But it was enough to let them create complex and dedicate components without having to build large and complex machinery.

It wasn't all joy, however. Their newgrown child were infected with the bacteria from begin with, and it became known that they had less individuality than those who grew up without the bacteria, and they were more part of collective. They accepted this price of hivemind. After all, it has been so beneficial so far. Some dark secrets were revealed. Many people found their role in society became obsolete, such as teachers. It led to major reconstruction of their entire society. Since everyone had complete knowledge of larger picture, they knew where changes were required. Changes hurt many, but it was deemed necessary.

Thanks to all their technological progress, they were able to realize their sun would soon explode in supernova. Until this moment their space exploration had been minimal, few trips to nearest planets, but nothing much beyond that. They knew they couldn't stop sun from exploding nor could they save their planet. So they poured their collective efforts to developing space travel and finding new worlds to inhabit.

Numerous scout ships were built, manned, and sent away to find new home, while rest of species focused on building massive ark to save as many and much as possible. One of the scout ships found a new planet, sporting life different than theirs. They landed and began studying it, trying to determine if it was suitable for them.

The atmosphere was quickly deemed acceptable so they forgo their space suits. This, however, was a mistake. In light of progress they had forgotten possibility of harmful microbes. And generations had grown without need for immunity system, so it had grew weak. As they walked on planet they were bitten by various bugs. Those pests were just ignored and swatted away without much of thought, but this infected them with deadly virus. It spreaded quickly amongst explorers and started to cause deaths. By time they realized what was going on it was too late for most of them. The last four who were still free of the virus were put into stasis while remaining focused on finding cure for it.

Guess they never found a cure.

The alien on other hand experiences similar crushing understanding of the situation. When it recovers it throws a query through The Mind, trying to find others of its species, but finds nothing but The Mind itself. Soul crushing despair sets in, and you completely understand why: Being the last of its entire species left, being only one who survived, everything it ever knew is gone, completely and totally. It is literally thrown to future without any hope.

Then small idea rises in its mind. The connectworldmind bacteria were never anything more than glorified advanced biotech cell phone and "internet service provider", it never had sentience of its own. The alien looks directly into The Mind. The idea is reviewed, compared against existing data, reformed and confirmed. The Mind is all that is left of its species, perhaps mind of a single person who completely lost itself, forgetting everything it used to be, fallen into subconscious of the animals it spreaded on. It offers a little of solace.

Now the alien focuses on you and thinks to you clearly.

"Greetings."

And that's it folks. Game over. I originally planned the game to last until all PCs were infected, but when it happened this Answers Arc were still in progress so I figured to wait until it was completed, at least to give you some IC answers.

I don't know what is customary thing to do here when a game reaches planned finish line, but I suppose I can answer any questions if you feel something were left unclear.

Like I mentioned in beginning, this is first forum game I led, so much of this was a one big practice run for me. And such I would like to have some feedback. How was the game for you as a player/reader? How was my GMing?
Old sigs.
Games.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 25, 2015, 11:42:23 am »

I don't really know of any questions to be asked; everything was tied up pretty well. Except, what happens in regard to the mind afterwards? Do they manage to spread it amongst all of humanity, or is it found and exterminated? And the alien? It seems like with our advanced cloning technology, we might be able to recreate the species using their memories stored in The Mind, using minor changes between individuals to ensure genetic stability, similarly to what we did with the pups.

As for how you ran this...It was great! The only real issue I can think of is that occasionally the game felt a little slow for me, but I guess that's to be expected. Even with a crew with less survival instincts than lemmings (Seriously, we were on that planet three days and you guys managed to injure yourself that much!), ensuring the health of a biology crew isn't exactly a heart-pounding medical drama waiting to happen.
It was pretty well researched, too. The tone, writing, etc. did feel like something that could actually happen during investigation of an Earth-like exoplanet.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Haveroszaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: February 25, 2015, 12:03:40 pm »

I don't really know of any questions to be asked; everything was tied up pretty well. Except, what happens in regard to the mind afterwards? Do they manage to spread it amongst all of humanity, or is it found and exterminated? And the alien? It seems like with our advanced cloning technology, we might be able to recreate the species using their memories stored in The Mind, using minor changes between individuals to ensure genetic stability, similarly to what we did with the pups.

As for how you ran this...It was great! The only real issue I can think of is that occasionally the game felt a little slow for me, but I guess that's to be expected. Even with a crew with less survival instincts than lemmings (Seriously, we were on that planet three days and you guys managed to injure yourself that much!), ensuring the health of a biology crew isn't exactly a heart-pounding medical drama waiting to happen.
It was pretty well researched, too. The tone, writing, etc. did feel like something that could actually happen during investigation of an Earth-like exoplanet.
Same questions. Also, what happened to our characters?

It was run well, though I feel a bit left out, being infected for only a few turns.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 25, 2015, 12:20:30 pm »

And really...

What happened to the snakeman? And the gene monster?
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 25, 2015, 12:31:37 pm »

Future is a big open question. There's few ways it could be spread semi secretly amongst humanity, but also many ways it could fail. My personal vision would be to first claim Theron had caught some bacteria from here and he needs medicine and everyone who handled him would need medicated as well. With this you could get military escort ship under your control. Then it would be easy to distribute "vaccine" to all other teams and to mothership crew. After that military escort could claim their job here is done and leave back to Earth. From there on it would be relatively easy to start infecting animal population and then to spread on humans.

However having planet wide seizures at moment when alien was revealed would be damn suspicious. And having an live ancient alien in your hands you can actually understand would raise quite few questions.

The alien... well, cloning could work. Their civilization was very biology oriented, so their very advanced cloning techniques combined with your certainly functional medbay could recreate its species. And The Mind doesn't contain their collective memories, only few scraps buried so deep that it cannot be accessed consciously. György's and Adam's dream sequences managed to pick up some of those scraps. Say hello to Chekhov's Gun!

Doctor's role was indeed slow one. In beginning I was hoping you would be one of the first to be infected so you could make fake vaccines and wrap whole thing quickly. Anyways, others successfully managed to keep you employed in unexpected ways.

Same questions. Also, what happened to our characters?

It was run well, though I feel a bit left out, being infected for only a few turns.

Like I mentioned above, your characters future is very uncertain. I can't even figure how you could explain your way out of that one. Coming out clean would secure your lives, but in a laboratory. Access to advanced alien technologies, even incomplete ones, would be very valuable.

That is unfortunate downside in this game plan. Those infected in beginning will make most out of it.

And really...

What happened to the snakeman? And the gene monster?

Alien dna doesn't mix well with ours.

Your mystery mutant was this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ninjas, ninjas everywhere.
Old sigs.
Games.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 25, 2015, 01:25:16 pm »

You could make a suggestion game where you control Theron, trying to single-handedly stop the Mind from reaching Earth.

He knew.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 25, 2015, 01:33:14 pm »

You could make a suggestion game where you control Theron, trying to single-handedly stop the Mind from reaching Earth.

He knew.
True, he knew this planet would be end of the mankind. End of the mankind as we know it, just transformed a little.

It would be quite hard if that game were to begin from his cell in the escort ship.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59