Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 59

Author Topic: The Mind: Day 4 - Finale  (Read 112861 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: The Mind: Day 3 - Now spelunking
« Reply #600 on: January 31, 2015, 08:07:17 pm »

Flop on the bed. Bored. Bored, bored, bored, bored, BORED. Boooooooooooooored.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 01, 2015, 01:39:03 pm »

Home team

"Nothing like trying to climb on an empty stomach."

Help get the supplies out to take a rest.

Cromwell pulled his comms device up to his ear as he got things ready.
"Red Team to Green Team. This is Jackson. How are you guys holding up?"
He knew Mark was with them, so he was trusting they were alright.
He was a little less sure of someone else, though...
"Security to Base. This is Jackson. You guys still alive over there? No rampant mutants?"
Wake up, look around, give report.

Your short nap ends with call from your superior. Beyond storm raging outside there's nothing new so you report situation as such.

Flop on the bed. Bored. Bored, bored, bored, bored, BORED. Boooooooooooooored.

Well then, maybe you should do something exciting? Dave's puppies are ready for their artificial birth so you might go and assist him and play with them. Surely those adorable little abominations will melt your heart.

Red team

"Nothing like trying to climb on an empty stomach."

Help get the supplies out to take a rest.

Cromwell pulled his comms device up to his ear as he got things ready.
"Red Team to Green Team. This is Jackson. How are you guys holding up?"
He knew Mark was with them, so he was trusting they were alright.
He was a little less sure of someone else, though...
"Security to Base. This is Jackson. You guys still alive over there? No rampant mutants?"

"I hear some mutant puppies are scheduled to be born soon, but nothing else noteworthy. Besides that one raging rain storm." Adam answers.

Yawn.

Bored too much? Your jaw dislodges itself as you yawn, but you manage to get it back into proper position.

The team takes a break to fill their rumbling stomachs. Eating without taking helmet off is not the most easiest way to eat. You basically press a bag of liquid food against small port in your helmet and suck its contents through a straw. Tastes like fish soup.

Once everybody has eaten enough and trash you managed to create is gathered Cole explains everyone how climbing tools work. He then spends few minutes staring at the wall, plotting easiest climbing route, and starts climbing. He places nuts and other anchors on wall and paints spots where you can grab a hold or place your foot for support. Once he's safely up others follow his example and manage to climb up without major accidents.

The stone here is different even to unprofessional eyes. It's much smoother and organic looking, as if it were dissolved. "It actually did dissolve." Cole comments. It's common cave formation method.

And long walk commences again. As clock nears midday they notice increase in signs of life. The small river they are following contains increasing amounts of those blue half spheres and other creatures. Soon they arrive into large cave. Light of your headlamps pierce the darkness and reveals it is much bigger than previous one (map is not really in correct scale) and is teeming with life. It contains a small lake, source of the river you were following. Here's also tunnels to north and east and single stone pillar on northern side. The cave is not terribly tall, about four meters at the pillar and nearing six above the lake. Few stalagmites rise from ground up towards stalactites on ceiling. And some boulders scattered around, apparently fallen from ceiling.

Nobody says a single word.

Creatures:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Green team

On Comms
"Hey Cromwell, we're good and we found some crystals that vibrate and heat up when light is shone on them in an odd gas pocket"
To team
"So shall we take a few samples in non light allowing boxes and continue down the cave"

Mark the wall and if needed place a boaster before continuing through the tunnel

"Absolutely! I only have transparent sample containers, but if we wrap the box into a something and bury it deep into backpack we might be able to bring it safely to lab."
"But first lets see how much heat these things can take!"

Erick cracks single crystal out of wall and takes it few meters into tunnel. He then places it on ground and sets a flashlight pointing at it. Then he and everyone else run deeper into tunnel and turn to watch results of this experiment. Thermal overlay lets you see how it warms up at stable speed. Once it reach 60°C you can hear audible hum its vibration causes. At 80°C you see how its vibration makes it move towards small dent in ground. At 90°C it begins jumping off the ground and moment later it explodes sending sharp pieces in every direction, breaking the flashligh and even few hitting you, but enviro-suit shields you from danger.

"Haha, that was cool!"
"Absolutely interesting phenomena! But lets not do it again. I want to find out why it reacts so violently to light. It's gonna be fantastic research subject!"

Briana puts the piece doctor Helios is holding into one of her sample boxes and puts it into her backpack. It will be fine as long as she stays in darkness of cave.

Figuring they wont learn much anything else here the team then leaves the cave and continues to north. The tunnel gets gradually thinner and thinner until it is only one meter wide. At this point Briana decides this is gonna be a dead end and no point continuing any further.

Where now? Thanks to the few turns you spent studying cystals you are out of sync with other team so you can travel faster in single turn.

You left from outpost at 9:00. Time is now ~12:00.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Currently we have following samples on ship:
Spoiler: In freezer (click to show/hide)
* Assholium Rectumas. (4/6 alive) (Studied)
* Red headed birds (2/3 alive) (Not studied)
* Flying bone plated snakes (1/3 alive) (Not studied)
* Rat? (1 alive) (Not studied)

Experiments in progress:
* 5 Attack dog hybrid mutants (Puppy: Now)
* 5 Attack dog hybrid mutants, mark 2 (Puppy: -2)
* Werewolf

Completed:
* Various vaccines.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #602 on: February 01, 2015, 01:57:21 pm »

Puppies. Go help with puppies.

Haveroszaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 01, 2015, 02:46:49 pm »

Prepare for the puppies melting her heart.Literally.
((And by that I mean guns.))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 01, 2015, 03:06:37 pm »

"Damn."

Cromwell looks around.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 01, 2015, 03:09:14 pm »

Oh, come on. Look into these adorable eyes! Is your heart made of stone?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 01, 2015, 03:32:14 pm »

"...Wow."
Pendle begins looking at various things. This doesn't hold much scientific interest to him, as he knows about as much about geology as he does underwater basket weaving, but it's still an amazing curiosity.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 01, 2015, 04:16:16 pm »

Admire the cave.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Haveroszaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 02, 2015, 03:15:33 am »

((Those puppies have the ability to shoot lightning, so yes.))

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 02, 2015, 03:38:27 am »

"Well I can think of a few ways thoughs crystals can be used none of them good...still really cool though"
On comms
"Hey Cromwell we found crystals that explode when they absorb enough light energy beat that."

When Mark is told of the others discovery "Damn it".

Continue with the others after a short pause.

My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 02, 2015, 04:37:48 am »

((These ones don't. Electricity generation was included into Mk 3. What we currently have growing up are Mk 1 and Mk 2 and they only got steel bones, fused ribs and infrared vision.))
Old sigs.
Games.

Haveroszaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 02, 2015, 12:12:36 pm »

((These ones don't. Electricity generation was included into Mk 3. What we currently have growing up are Mk 1 and Mk 2 and they only got steel bones, fused ribs and infrared vision.))
In that case, just wear an envirosuit while helping.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 02, 2015, 01:10:15 pm »

Implement the functional immortality into mark 3. Start growing. Be there with the puppies and be the first thing they see. Bring several tubs of kidney paste.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 02, 2015, 01:23:24 pm »

Home team

As you are heading to the infirmary you meet that one guy with cleaning bot. He says it is now fixed and they are on way to clean your room. He's gonna ensure it will do its job properly this time.

In infirmary you find two tubes growing black four eyed puppies. Infirmary points you to the ones who you should get out of tubes. After you get them out you place them next to the feeding machine and watch them suckle juicy red mush from it. Lovely.

Once they have eaten themself full they start tottering around, crashing on each others and you. Looks like they can't see too well.

I wonder if Dave can house-train these pups... I don't think doctors will appreciate much when pups start shitting and peeing everywhere.

You storm into infirmary with SMG in hand and aggressively pointing it at pups. Infirmary doesn't like your aggression. It will throw you into isolation room if you don't put that gun down.

In that case, just wear an envirosuit while helping.

Damn it, kill joy.

Implement the functional immortality into mark 3. Start growing. Be there with the puppies and be the first thing they see. Bring several tubs of kidney paste.

And just in time. I was posting this turn when forum warned about a ninja.

Ok, DNA messed with biological immortality. It is quite similar to what was done to humans one and half generations ago, but more potent. After all, nobody wants to live forever. Will this be a quick test batch?

Too bad you are not the first thing pups see. Guni and Adam stole that glory. However ears perk up and heads turn around when you complain about their glory stealing.

Red team

"Damn."

Cromwell looks around.

Nothing much to add, really. Creatures skittering around, a bit dust falling from ceiling here and there, soil on ground... There's no plants so you can't be exactly sure if it really is soil.

"...Wow."
Pendle begins looking at various things. This doesn't hold much scientific interest to him, as he knows about as much about geology as he does underwater basket weaving, but it's still an amazing curiosity.

It strikes you a little odd how these creatures have so much colors considering they are underground where colors should be useless. Creatures give you wide breath of space as team walks forward slowly.

Admire the cave.

It certainly is admirable. All this life growing and flourishing in darkness and moving northward.

Cole and Micah are too busy taking samples from ground, walls and stalagmites to pay attention what others are doing.

"I think that rock was a little further away from the lake a minute ago." Nevaeh says pointing a rock on shore line.

Green team

"Well I can think of a few ways thoughs crystals can be used none of them good...still really cool though"
On comms
"Hey Cromwell we found crystals that explode when they absorb enough light energy beat that."

When Mark is told of the others discovery "Damn it".

Continue with the others after a short pause.

Spoiler: SECRETS (click to show/hide)

This team heads back to main tunnel and starts following tracks left by other team. They arrive into southward tunnel branch and since it seems red team went to east Briana figures it might be good idea to go south, to explore what others have not.

Eventually this tunnel runs out of dry land to walk on. The tunnel continues to south, but floor is covered by 40 cm of water. It seems to continue at this depth ahead, but Briana isn't sure if she should lead you further this way. She kinda wants to, but since nobody has equipment for possible underwater exploration she doesn't want to take a risk.

You left from outpost at 9:00. Time is now ~12:00.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Currently we have following samples on ship:
Spoiler: In freezer (click to show/hide)
* Assholium Rectumas. (4/6 alive) (Studied)
* Red headed birds (2/3 alive) (Not studied)
* Flying bone plated snakes (1/3 alive) (Not studied)
* Rat? (1 alive) (Not studied)

Experiments in progress:
* 5 Attack dog hybrid mutants, mark 2 (Puppy: -1)
* Attack dog hybrid mutant, mark 3 (Puppy: -1/-15 ?)

Completed:
* Various vaccines.
* Werewolf
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:32:33 pm by AoshimaMichio »
Old sigs.
Games.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 02, 2015, 01:31:03 pm »

"You're just paranoid.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 59