Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 59

Author Topic: The Mind: Day 4 - Finale  (Read 112541 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: Starting soon
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 06:10:51 am »

I'm surprised there isn't a geologist job now that I think about it. Archeology and gelological samples seem like they would be high priority.
Geologist have their own NPC team and base. Our team is just one of many, and strictly focused on biology side.

Name: Cromwell Jackson
Description: A tall, lanky man. He joined on due to the fact that he has practically no useful skills, but was trained with the use of weapons upon signing on. He's aware of the inherent danger, and the implication that he's expendable, but he tries not to let that get to head, and focuses on the job at hand.
Role: Security
Got it.

Name: Jonathan Pendle
Description: Slightly below average height, wiry build, jet black hair. Clean shaven. Slightly longer hair than is common for men, but not massively so. Wears simple glasses. Often nervous, he tends to be a little bit of a coward in the face of direct danger. Though he's trained as a doctor, he's more interested in any possible anthropology and archaeology that he could try to conduct. Ran a small private practice for a few years, before eventually shutting down due to lack of business. Tends to be reserved and quiet, but when he's under pressure he tends to take command of things.
Role: Doctor
Got you too.

And now we have minimum viable base. I'll give this a day or two if more people want to join before starting. More players means longer game, though not strictly in linear manner.

Edit: Anyone interested in taking role of expedition leader? As in SaberToothTiger or Yourmaster? Expedition leader can basically order mobile base to move around the planet and boss around others to some degree. Except when head of security (apparently Cromwell Jackson at moment) thinks security and safety of team is seriously compromised. In this case he takes command. The leading doctor has similiar power, but more in case of serious health/sanity issues.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:26:29 am by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 07:16:29 am »

I'll lead unless anybody else wants to.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:18:01 am by Yourmaster »
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 09:22:54 am »

Spoiler: CS (click to show/hide)

Sounds like fun. If any places are open, I wish to get involved.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 10:13:18 am »

Spoiler: CS (click to show/hide)

Sounds like fun. If any places are open, I wish to get involved.
Sure, you're in.
Wrestle with mastahcheese which one of you will be head of security. Unless you want me to decide.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 10:39:36 am »

why not I'll join

Name: Mark Redtail
Description: Mark was selected to help look out at this outpost due to his hunting and outdoorsmanship experience as well as his lack of ambision to prevent power struggles(our bosses watch movies too). He is looking foward to learning about this strange new worlds plants and animals. Being Australian he has a healthy respect for the wild.
Role: security
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 11:03:48 am »

...mastahcheese? Shall I be the big cheese in this place, or shall thy?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 11:24:59 am »

why not I'll join

Name: Mark Redtail
Description: Mark was selected to help look out at this outpost due to his hunting and outdoorsmanship experience as well as his lack of ambision to prevent power struggles(our bosses watch movies too). He is looking foward to learning about this strange new worlds plants and animals. Being Australian he has a healthy respect for the wild.
Role: security
Healthy respect for the wild is good thing. I suppose you will just watch SilverDragon and mastahcheese wrestling for control?

With this we probably have enough of security.
Old sigs.
Games.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 11:34:01 am »

I'll let SD be the head, I'll just follow orders and take over when he gets killed
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 11:36:19 am »

Sounds like a plan. As long as it's not an accelerated object wildly flying in my direction from the back-left, to be specific!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »

Am I allowed to be a doctor/biologist? In that I study biology with a focus on human interaction with outside influence?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 03:17:02 pm »

I would probably classify that more like a biologist with doctor training. A part-time doctor? Maybe. Post your sheet and let's look where it falls.
Old sigs.
Games.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 06:50:09 pm »

Name: Dave D. Davidson
Description: Dave grew up in a wealthy family that owned an asteroid mining company. Throughout the years he saw many miners with both cybernetic and biological prosthetic limbs. He was always facinated with replacing bodyparts. He was chosen to come here as initial probes showed some very adapable dna in some microbes and even multicellular organism and he came to study potential aplications in cybernetic and biological enhancements.
Role: Up to GM (Generally not caring about who's in charge. I just want me some Meld.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 07:37:49 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 07:29:32 pm »

Healthy respect for the wild is good thing. I suppose you will just watch SilverDragon and mastahcheese wrestling for control?

With this we probably have enough of security.
Yeah I'll watch while eatting popcorn also I call the hunting rife and LMG
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2014, 04:29:51 am »

Name: Dave D. Davidson
Description: Dave grew up in a wealthy family that owned an asteroid mining company. Throughout the years he saw many miners with both cybernetic and biological prosthetic limbs. He was always facinated with replacing bodyparts. He was chosen to come here as initial probes showed some very adapable dna in some microbes and even multicellular organism and he came to study potential aplications in cybernetic and biological enhancements.
Role: Up to GM (Generally not caring about who's in charge. I just want me some Meld.)
All probing and scanning up to beginning of the game were made from orbit. No visits to surface were made so there's no information about any microbes or dna. Though presence of multicellular lifeforms were blatantly obvious even from orbit. Sorry for not mentioning this bit before.

Otherwise I like it. I'll reserve a spot for you as a biologist if you want to change that minor detail.

With this we have enough players for now, so further applications will be put on hold/waitlist until I see how this turns out.
First turn coming out in... six hours or so.
Old sigs.
Games.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: Landing
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2014, 11:14:12 am »

"Biology unit 2: Launching!"

The mobile base launch away from the mothership, the massive interstellar carrier ship. The base, which is a space ship by it's own right, speeds towards the planet. Thanks to the tech wizards back at home, this ride is very smooth. Athmospheric entry goes entirely unnoticed and heavy deceleration barely registers in your mind.

As the surface and predetermined landing spot approaches everyone groups around the displays. Various cameras and sensors activates on the hull and starts recording and feeding data to computers. Dedicated software analyses feeds, combines them and builds precise 3D model of the ground and everything on it, increasing precision as ship approaches the surface. It doesn't take long before it identifies living creatures and starts grouping them by proximity and physiological similarities, helpfully suggesting which creatures might belong to same species.

The landing area is in a smooth grassland consisting of seemingly plant type lifeform, height ranging from 15 cm to 30 cm. 500 meters on south there's a lake with mixed shoreline. Kilometer worth of sandy looking beachline, turning more rocky near river in east. In north there's more grassland and a forest begins around distance of 1 km.

In overall your surroundings looks very much like Earth. Even the animals displayed on the screens look very familiar to the security guys, but biologists immediately spot differences. Evolution of multicellular life seems to prefer same major design principles when given similar conditions. On the one hand this is disappointing, but on the other one it's very exciting. This is, after all, the very first time mankind has found multicellular life outside of Earth. Even the stone face Dylan Flores (renown xenobiologist responsible of all Biology units on the planet) is probably grinning from ear to ear.

Spoiler: Simple map (click to show/hide)

Now, what do you want to do?

Nearest group of larger creatures is herd of apparently herbivorous animals two hundred meters to north west. They are sturdy ox like animals with stubby short legs and very hairy tail. They are showing mild interest towards your ship.

According to sensors there's numerous small creatures around the ship/mobile base. Some appear to be very much like insects, ranging from thumbnail sized to palm sized.

On south east on the rocks is a flock of large flying animals.

Sensors coudn't get information of possible life forms in the lake during landing, but now it has some records of aquatic life being hunted by birds.

You can request data from other units. Geology and Meteorology units don't have sensors for specially detecting life forms, but will have less detailed visual data available, should you get bored with your local wildlife.

As for equipment, you have almost everything can think of. The mobile base is pretty big, containing small personal flyers, bigger flyers for transporting people and other for transporting large containers in case you want to move larger animals around. Ground vehicles, semi autonomous flying and diving drones, fully insulated detachable container rooms for your prey samples...

All biologists are trained to use personal flyers, they are simple enough to use with smart computer assistant. Security personel is trained to handle all vehicles.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 59