Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 59

Author Topic: The Mind: Day 4 - Finale  (Read 112531 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: Day 4
« Reply #795 on: February 18, 2015, 11:49:09 am »

Meh. Get suited up and go join the expedition.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: The Mind: Day 4 - Into alien spaceship
« Reply #796 on: February 18, 2015, 12:53:42 pm »

Do we have like a hazmat suit or something? I want to play with the puppies but also not die. Also request a book on veterinary medicine since we have a pretty small breeding stock as is.

Envirosuit is best hazmat suit around here. Too bad those don't have electric insulation. You could make a rubber suit, but that would be rather uncomfortable. Or you could request engineers to integrate a faraday cage into envirosuit. That would take a while anyway.

Book requested. Remind me about it on next turn.

Spoiler: SECRETS (click to show/hide)

Name the snakes, Andrew`s Anormal Snakes and the rat can be called a Spaceus Rattus. Also, continue researching the Crimson Birds, Snake, and Rat recording any sounds they make and showing them various pictures and videos of earth animals to see their reactions.

(Unless someone contacts me, I`m going to keep playing like I have no idea what is happening outside the lab.)

Names entered into databases. You'll be famous at this rate. For naming animals you had nothing do with.

You set up camera recording, flip open and expand your wrist computer and start playing the few videos you got. Animals observe what you are showing, but make no sounds. They have been remarkably quit for a while now.

Research the snakes.

Helios has made a mess out of snakes. Their organs look weird and are in odd places. Bone plates are as durable as one would expect from bone blates; good, but nothing special. However true difference comes from its cell structure and dna. It is still carbon and water based like everything else, but that's about all what is common between snakes and rest of life forms here.

Even on Earth all life forms adhere same basic system all over the globe, and even on this planet things follow similar if not identical system, but this snake has complete unique system. It makes you wonder if it is truly native life form to this planet... Considering you got an alien structure of similar shape as your ship makes it very realistic possibility.

Wait for my out of body experience to end.

...Fine.

You dodge an adventure about to hit you on face and wake up on infirmary bed. Your forehead itches.

Once the other members of the team finish examining the pillar, propose the team head upwards into the construct. Assuming more standard methods of ascension don't work, send a crew member up on the floating tool platform to get a rope anchored up there.

As soon as archeologists switch their tools you mention the gap above. They look up and grunt. "I'm not going to fit through that hole" one says, and true enough, three of them are too big. Not fat, just too big. They pull number of shaped metal rods from their pile of tools and start constructing ladders. The ground being covered in pieces of ex-stone ceiling makes it slightly hard to place the ladder in stable position. Two guys have support it while others climb.

Study the way in visually then when the others are ready start climbing.

The pillar is smooth and so is the ceiling. There won't be any spots for you to grab a hold.

Ladder is up so you climb up and look into the gap. It seems to continue upwards in exactly same shape about three meters and the pillar even further. You wriggle into the gap that's barely wide enough for you. From there you pull your grappling hook into better position and launch it into darkness above. It makes loud metallic clang when it hits on something, another clang a moment later and third one when you pull the rope tight. It feels secure enough so you drag yourself up and out of the gap.

You find yourself in a room. Floor here is covered by about 5 cm thick layer of easily crumbling stone. The pillar continues up into hole in ceiling in four or five meters above your head. The hole is only marginally larger than the pillar within it. A massive mechanical arm only meter above the floor is squeezing the pillar, and another one on opposite side of the pillar is laying on ground, its large "fingers" wide open. Your impression is that those things would be used to pull the pillar up.

Your grappling hook was caught on a... walkway on northern wall. It is nothing but a metal mesh raised about two meters above floor, reinforced along outer edge with long continuous strip of metal. On side of open room is a pipe nicely on waist height to provide something to hold on. On western end of walkway is simple ladder where you can climb up onto this walkway. On opposite end is a door.

You give few experimental tugs to the machine holding the pillar. It feels like welded on place, so it is good spot to tie a rope on. With that done you tell the people to climb up and climb yourself onto the walkway. The mesh it is made of is much sturdier than it looks. You walk to the door and study the panel on left side. It has two buttons, both corroded. Each button has series of symbols engraved on it, made fuzzier due corrosion, but still readable.

Pendle, Cromwell, Briana, Nevaeh and two archeologists climb up into the room.

What about Arrow? Will you have her lifted up here? Or...?

Meh. Get suited up and go join the expedition.

Perhaps you want to bring something else as well?

Anyway, distance and traveling times can go where sun doesn't shine this time. You are with the expedition group now, gawking at exactly same thing they are.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Currently we have following samples on ship:
Spoiler: In freezer (click to show/hide)
* Helios Crimson Attack Birds (2/3 alive) (Partially studied)
* Andrew`s Anormal Snakes (1/3 alive) (Partially studied.)
* Spaceus Rattus (1 alive) (Studied)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 18, 2015, 02:07:43 pm »

((Are the Geo team NPCs or is it the kind of thing where you're running two games?))
Set up some targets that the infirmary will pop up and try to train the puppies to not attack things, shock things unconscious and shock things dead for (various size ranges if possible.) Receive book.
After that send this message out to the other bio bases:
"Hey guys. I've got some abomination puppies that will be great for incapacitating specimen. want some? Please if you get a male also get a female as our breeding stock is low and I don't want to waste tank space."
Spoiler: SECRET (click to show/hide)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 18, 2015, 02:41:50 pm »

Try to combine human cells with the snake ones and put them in some sort of monster making machine. Look at the monster that comes out.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 18, 2015, 02:53:24 pm »

((Are the Geo team NPCs or is it the kind of thing where you're running two games?))
They are just NPCs. What, are they realistic enough?

Try to combine human cells with the snake ones and put them in some sort of monster making machine. Look at the monster that comes out.
I'll have to ask you to be a little more specific about your desing. Are you splicing DNA? Or just injecting DNA of one into stem cell of another? Combining any specific features?

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 18, 2015, 03:16:10 pm »

"If your going to mess around with snake DNA, please be careful and don't make a snake monster that will kill us all, thank you."

Check the animals for any signs of sickness, maybe that's why they so quiet and inactive.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 18, 2015, 07:43:27 pm »

((I'd make sure I've got my usual armory with me, except the net gun, of course.))

Gently push the top button.
The Derail Thread

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 19, 2015, 03:45:20 am »

Hoist Arrow up to join us. wouldnt make much sence to bring her along then leave her behind.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 19, 2015, 03:47:00 am »

Splicing all the way. You know, making snakemen, sectoids and hopefully mutons and something like that.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Haveroszaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 19, 2015, 09:37:57 am »

Splicing all the way. You know, making snakemen, sectoids and hopefully mutons and something like that.
((If no chrysalids, then okay. Sorta.))
Find mirros, see what is itching.))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 19, 2015, 11:55:19 am »

Set up some targets that the infirmary will pop up and try to train the puppies to not attack things, shock things unconscious and shock things dead for (various size ranges if possible.) Receive book.
After that send this message out to the other bio bases:
"Hey guys. I've got some abomination puppies that will be great for incapacitating specimen. want some? Please if you get a male also get a female as our breeding stock is low and I don't want to waste tank space."

Such training range is more a job for engineers, so let's say you called them. They build you a bunch of automated training machines that measure strength of electric shock applied on them and dispense treats when strength is within acceptable range. You do your best to teach pups how those work. Amongst all playing, eating and sleeping they occasionally try on those machines.

Answers to your marketing speech are mixed.
"Ever heard about tranquilizers?"
"Could you specify how incapacitation is archieved?"
"That's what we have tazers for."
"Why abominations? Couldn't you make something normal?"
"How you are ensuring genetic diversity?"
"What exactly makes them abominations? Details please."

Book about veterinary medicine received, but it's too late. The dog got sudden cardiac arrest!

You have to "harvest" one whole snake to get enough working material for your body horror. Mixing dna from snake and human you try to make something that's humanoid enough. It's rather challenging because differences in the way snakes dna is structured, but you get together something that you think might work.

It's growing now.

"If your going to mess around with snake DNA, please be careful and don't make a snake monster that will kill us all, thank you."

Check the animals for any signs of sickness, maybe that's why they so quiet and inactive.

Well, Crimson Attack Birds seem to be in perfect health. Their feathers are positively glowing. Anormal Snake is... well, you can't really be sure. It ate those pieces of bird fast so it just might been hungry, and snakes are not known for making noises. Spaceus Rattus on other hand has few patches of less thick fur. A skin disease?

((If no chrysalids, then okay. Sorta.))
Find mirros, see what is itching.))

Source of itch seems to be two small lichtenberg scars on your forehead. They look pretty wicked.

Hoist Arrow up to join us. wouldnt make much sence to bring her along then leave her behind.

It ain't easy, but with some clever usage of rope and some tools guys below manage to make a small basket for Arrow. And thanks the her being all calm and understanding about the ordeal you manage to pull her up.

((I'd make sure I've got my usual armory with me, except the net gun, of course.))

Gently push the top button.

Ok, I'll look for your earlier post about it.

Your gentle push results absolutely nothing, except some rust flaking off the button. You press it a bit harder and it moves slightly inwards dusting off more rust. For few seconds nothing happens and you begin to think you have to resort on manual work to get the door open. Then the door suddenly yanks hard to left about 20cm, accompanied with sound of something breaking and a load of dust blowing into air. It stops for a half second before being yanked again with less dramatic effects. It gets completely pulled inside the wall on left in similar manner.

Behind the door is a small square room, about 1.5 meters wide and long, just big enough to hold entire team up here. On left wall is two panels like the one you just used, but less corroded. One is next to the opened door and another is next to the door on opposite wall.

"That's an airlock if I have ever seen one." Briana says. "But damn! It still works, even after being buried underground for half million years! And it actually has power! That's some really impressive technology."

Spoiler: Explorers (click to show/hide)

Currently we have following samples on ship:
Spoiler: In freezer (click to show/hide)
* Helios Crimson Attack Birds (2/3 alive) (Partially studied)
* Andrew`s Anormal Snakes (1/2 alive) (Partially studied)
* Spaceus Rattus (1 alive) (Studied)

Things in progress:
* Human/bone snake hybrid body horror. Designed by György. Time until newborn: ??
Old sigs.
Games.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 19, 2015, 02:22:05 pm »

Sit down and observe the snakeman. Request for a Heavy Laser.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 19, 2015, 02:24:16 pm »

Head into the airlock.
The Derail Thread

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 19, 2015, 03:36:38 pm »

"Strange, maybe they are just bored."
Have a computer play some music to entertain them.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 19, 2015, 05:44:06 pm »

((Mostly just that you went to the trouble of introducing them specifically and didn't introduce some other guys. And they are pretty real.))
Help with the snake men. Maybe try to make a naga.
"Mostly that they're unnatural hybrids of hunting dogs, spiders and two species of alien bird that are biologically immortal, grow to maturity within three days tops, have four eyes (two of which can see infrared) and can produce electricity in amounts ranging from static to deadly. Plus what's the fun of genetically engineering something normal? They have pretty stable DNA and the males have some minor differences. Any harmful mutations can be breed out pretty quickly and minor ones will ensure genetic diversity within a few years."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:42:59 am by The Froggy Ninja »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 59