Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rich people, rulers, nobles have libraries  (Read 1753 times)

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rich people, rulers, nobles have libraries
« on: December 09, 2014, 02:10:04 pm »

Like the description says. There aught to be some way to designate chests or some kind of shelving item as a library room for nobles. Nobles might not necessarily need to be able to read, but books are essentially artifacts and people should be seeking them out for the status, or possibly magic they involve. Libraries should be designated from an item, and nobles should recognize a quality of their library. Unlike other rooms, library quality should be at least partially tied to book values, since they're the main component of a library and also probably the most expensive given how rare written materials are in DF. And you can assign books to a room with an appropriate container, sort of like hospitals, so different nobles can be given books on, let's say spheres they have preferences for.

So in Fortress mode nobles should sometimes demand books be acquired. Requests can be made of traders to bring books and the noble will have a longer period of waiting they'll find acceptable than for production orders since it's like acquiring an artifact and they should recognize an increased difficulty. But higher level nobles might make more demanding requests for more or more expensive books (and they should end up doing this for other artifacts once there are a lot in the world and dwarves can be sent out in raiding armies) which need to be traded for or stolen from necromancer towers or enemy civs if the ruler favors a sphere no one else in your civ is writing for. Adventurers would also get requests for books as fetch quests, so sometimes you're told to go to the necromancer's tower but not necessarily to rid the world of the necromancer. Or a necromancer might send you to steal a book from a ruler that took it from them in world gen if you're a night creature that they'd talk to. And thieves will be coming for your books in fortress mode, so it's just a big expansion to things going on in the world.

Further down the line when magic is implemented and/or into the economy when there are ranges of housing with different levels of wealth, other people should be pursuing books for magical reasons. Or depending on what gets developed first people should seek to have books because they reveal information about sites, treasure locations, maybe night creatures true names, something that would be valuable and lead to people seeking out specific texts. And those people's houses/keeps/towers/lairs can have recognizable library rooms in the same way inns will be recognizable as inns outside of fortress mode with their set ups. Necromancer towers can even have this so their books aren't strewn everywhere and adventurers need to make a serious assault up to near the top even if they aren't going for a slab, or so apprentice necromancers can build towers without slabs, because they all learned from books, but still have a clear target for a siege. 

So this is a framework suggestion potentially for a lot of things, and it can tie together early with inns since there'll be new building recognition stuff, and world gen artifacts, and especially if law ends up being written on slabs or in books which could lead to more book proliferation once customs are established.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rich people, rulers, nobles have libraries
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 02:13:32 pm »

Basically in summary; add books.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 04:24:16 pm »

Paper, writing, books, and libraries are suggested about once a month.

EVERY month.

They are already planned for inclusion in the game (see here and here), and have been planned for years.

People keep suggesting them. Over & over & over again.

Personally, I think it should be mandatory to lurk in every forum (especially this one) for at least a month before being allowed to start a new thread.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 11:10:48 pm »

Paper, writing, books, and libraries are suggested about once a month.

EVERY month.

They are already planned for inclusion in the game (see here and here), and have been planned for years.

People keep suggesting them. Over & over & over again.

How exciting to know. I certainly hope that since no work has actually been done on them so far that Toady considers my suggestions as to how they could be designed.

Personally, I think it should be mandatory to lurk in every forum (especially this one) for at least a month before being allowed to start a new thread.

Can't tell you how happy I am that your opinion doesn't matter one iota more than one of the hundreds of people obliviously suggesting libraries.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 02:08:07 am »

hundreds of people obliviously suggesting libraries.

???

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 05:50:57 am »

Falcc had a point about it being in the planned features, but to the OP's credit those features don't mention noble demands/requirements.  Tbh, its all about adventure mode (clues to lost artifacts, maps of sites, skill books for training, etc).  But oh, continue bitching about how someone doesn't devote 10 hours a month to lurking.  Now THAT will help. 

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 11:26:24 am »

Perhaps there could be a sub-section of the suggestions forum with dedicated threads for certain subjects.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 02:14:52 am »

I certainly hope that since no work has actually been done on them [books, etc.] so far that Toady considers my suggestions as to how they could be designed.
Implying that Toady spends a lot of time reading forum threads with titles very similar to those he's seen dozens of times. I've been spending the last several days dredging the depths of the Suggestions forum (I'm up to 2011 now!), and I have seen SO many requests for SO many things that neither Toady One nor I want to see in this game.
"I got a great idea! Dwarves should have guns!"
"Dwarves should build steam-powered mechanical golems that fight for you!"
"Dwarves could make lasers out of gemstones!"
"Dwarves should be able to build thermonuclear weapons!"
"Dwarves should be able to make rocket ships and build a fortress on the moon!"
Mind you, I'm not saying that you are like those other posters. I think books and the like are a perfectly good idea, really. I'm just saying that, in my experience, new players suggesting changes to a game that's been around for years can have good ideas . . . OR, they can have new ideas. Just not both at once.

Can't tell you how happy I am that your opinion doesn't matter one iota . . .
Yeah, you can call me rude for implying that you can't come up with anything that's both new and good . . . but frankly, I'd rather you prove me wrong. :)

But oh, continue bitching about how someone doesn't devote 10 hours a month to lurking.
Are you saying that 10 hours / month is a lot of time?
Either way, spending a while familiarizing oneself with any forum before posting is a just good idea in general, and here, it affords the opportunity to learn that "Oh, this person suggested something that would deviate wildly from the feeling of the game--and it's also an idea that Toady One has explicitly said will never be implemented, & in fact the idea has been suggested, and shot down, several times . . . well, it's a good thing that I can make better suggestions than that."
Lurking, and learning from what you read, makes you a better contributor. Which is what this particular forum is all about.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 02:17:02 am by SixOfSpades »
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.