Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Ice Station Yankee [OOC/Signup]: Experimental Military Research  (Read 7424 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Station Yankee [OOC/Signup]: Experimental Military Research
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2015, 05:50:07 pm »

Is... is this still going on? Please let it still be going on. I love The Thing.
Black lives matter.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2015, 05:56:04 pm »

Ended yesterday.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2015, 05:59:27 pm »

Is... is this still going on? Please let it still be going on. I love The Thing.
Well I just spoiled the bit that the whole game was set up to disguise, since my goal was to prevent metagaming by having the player know from the get-go that someone was the Thing. :P But the method was convoluted and made RP difficult. It was also high maintenance. There's no way, it seems, to practically run a large game where all the players are operating from their own POV. Maybe if I had had some assistants helping me. I guess I could run it again, except in a more typical fashion, by just letting everyone read everyone else's stuff and let them be able to know what's going on generally. I didn't actually think it would affect the gameplay terribly much, I just thought that doing it the way I did would be an interesting experiment.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2015, 06:05:26 pm »

Well, you could run it both ways (I.e. don't require use of spoilers, but if someone uses info they shouldn't have, bada-bing-bada-banned). That would work well, I've seen.
Black lives matter.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2015, 06:38:54 pm »

Well I just spoiled the bit that the whole game was set up to disguise, since my goal was to prevent metagaming by having the player know from the get-go that someone was the Thing. :P But the method was convoluted and made RP difficult. It was also high maintenance. There's no way, it seems, to practically run a large game where all the players are operating from their own POV. Maybe if I had had some assistants helping me. I guess I could run it again, except in a more typical fashion, by just letting everyone read everyone else's stuff and let them be able to know what's going on generally. I didn't actually think it would affect the gameplay terribly much, I just thought that doing it the way I did would be an interesting experiment.
I believe I once tried to do something like that by relaying the whole thing through PMs, such that you never actually know what anyone else is being told, but it was even more work :P.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2015, 02:19:08 am »

The thing was slow to transform, was it's main weakness. It could have transformed into something more dangerous but
a) it was quite a cowardly thing
b)it still would have lost to flamethrowers, against which you can't really evolve a defence.

To try to be a hunting creature like that would have been more risky, and as soon as it splits, it becomes only concerned about its own survival. Otherwise the blood test would have failed and the Thing would have won.

Was it slow to transform, though? There was the guy on the dissection table, he could shoot up a pillar of flesh in no time flat. And then it turned into a giant monster in the span of a minute or two at best near the end. And that's not even the thing - it doesn't really have to transform in a visually impressive fashion. If the movie's anything to go by, the Thing is extremely infectious. It could just go around coughing its blood at people and it'd probably not even be detected, to provide an example off the top of my head. And, once again, it doesn't appear to obey conservation of mass.

Of course, you can excuse the Thing's poor planning by the fact it's not terribly intelligent and is generally animalistic despite its ability at mimicry of complex behavior hinting at considerable intelligence. However, hand the Thing to an inventive enough player, and they can easily curbstomp human opposition, given the advantage of surprise. Maybe even if they don't have the advantage of surprise, now that I think about it. That's what I was asking about originally, in fact - were the Thing's abilities downgraded from JCThing, or were they roughly the same?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2015, 04:36:30 am »

I think there was a theory going around that at various points, everyone except that guy at the end (same one who invents the blood test) becomes infected to various degrees.
Oh, and also WoG, if the black guy at the end with a flamethrower was infected, it was still Game Over for the Thing, because Blanket Guy had a flamethrower under the blanket.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2015, 12:18:50 pm »

-were the Thing's abilities downgraded from JCThing, or were they roughly the same?
No. But Xanmy wasn't allowed to attack to kill unless he was defending himself. If he was initiating the attack his intent had to be to absorb somebody.

Oh, and also WoG, if the black guy at the end with a flamethrower was infected, it was still Game Over for the Thing, because Blanket Guy had a flamethrower under the blanket.
Childs and MacReady.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2015, 06:09:43 pm »

Too bad this ended, I was pretty excited for it.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]