Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Ice Station Yankee [OOC/Signup]: Experimental Military Research  (Read 7418 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Ice Station Yankee [OOC/Signup]: Experimental Military Research
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2014, 02:37:10 am »

SO. Conversations. These are a problem. Originally my plan was that I was going to just update, a lot, and that way peeps would only have to worry about clicking on things I post to keep things as simple as possible. But now I'm thinking that probably isn't going to work.

I think we're going to do it this way instead: if you're in the same room as a person or person(s), you title your spoiler with-
[your name] > [intended recipient's name, other recipient's name, so on]
-so then you can have actual contiguous conversations.

You guys talk and talk and whatnot, and when I do my mini-updates everyone else in the room will get to hear the conversation up to that point. This could potentially result in some awkwardness, but I believe it's much, much healthier for RP within the game.

Thoughts before I go through with the change?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2014, 02:38:01 am »

Go for it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2014, 09:07:51 am »

I like the solution.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2014, 09:34:10 am »

I approve.
I was holding that second bit until conversations were clarified.
Sorry I didn't edit.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2014, 02:08:01 am »

Scapheap, go back and title your spoiler from the last turn properly, and do not make the mistake again in the future.

E: By the way I edited the conversations thing into the IC OP, it's officially a part of the rules, so have at it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:11:14 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2015, 10:50:05 pm »

Xanmy was the Thing and he was supposed to try and infect you all.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2015, 05:20:45 am »

Awwwwwwwwww...

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2015, 09:13:32 am »

Xanmy was the Thing and he was supposed to try and infect you all.

And he'd have done it too, by gum!

Though it does make me wonder as to where exactly the Thing came from in this case. Did it just catch a ride out of a civilized area? Don't recall us finding any crashed alien ships, eh?

Also, was the Thing as incredibly OP as it was in the movie?

Also also, I feel like there could be a game waiting to happen based on The Thing From Another World rather than the other Thing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:18:40 am by Harry Baldman »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2015, 09:46:35 am »

I woulda defeated him with my dogs and my OLD WHITE RUSSIAN FISTS

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2015, 10:34:44 am »

Though it does make me wonder as to where exactly the Thing came from in this case. Did it just catch a ride out of a civilized area? Don't recall us finding any crashed alien ships, eh?

Also, was the Thing as incredibly OP as it was in the movie?

Also also, I feel like there could be a game waiting to happen based on The Thing From Another World rather than the other Thing.
It was an animal and it had been living in the antarctic for a while, but hadn't been able to catch any migratory birds, and it finally stumbled upon the outpost and killed the mechanic the night before when he was doing work near the garage. One of Xanmy's first tasks was to hide his torn clothes.

OP? Er, not sure what you mean in that respect. Also I don't know if you're talking about John Carpenter's The Thing or the 2000s The Thing prequel.

Ehhh I didn't like that movie as much as JC's rendition of the story. Both the short story and the newer movies are better than it, IMO. Could be interesting though! Plant monsters can be spooky.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2015, 12:07:53 pm »

Well, one thing I mostly noticed during JC's Thing (haven't seen the newer one, though when I heard it was focused on the Norwegians I became a bit interested) was that the alien didn't seem to be trying very hard at killing off the rest, given its extreme advantages in durability, speed, combat ability and the element of surprise, not to mention how incredibly infectious and adaptable it apparently was. Not to mention how it doesn't particularly appear to have been limited by mass. If JC's Thing hadn't been limited by its strict adherence to being as visually impressive as possible at all times while paying lip service to stealth, why, the team wouldn't have had even the slightest chance.

As for The Thing From Another World, I like that it's not really horror, in that the guys at the station seem to have the whole thing well in hand the entire time and it's mostly just witty banter between the personnel as they dispatch the weird creature they've got messing around. Amusingly, the whole thing's played off as not that big a deal, and hardly anyone dies at all. Very refreshing in that sense despite its age, and the mood makes it rather well-suited for a game.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2015, 01:56:14 pm »

Well, one thing I mostly noticed during JC's Thing (haven't seen the newer one, though when I heard it was focused on the Norwegians I became a bit interested) was that the alien didn't seem to be trying very hard at killing off the rest, given its extreme advantages in durability, speed, combat ability and the element of surprise, not to mention how incredibly infectious and adaptable it apparently was. Not to mention how it doesn't particularly appear to have been limited by mass. If JC's Thing hadn't been limited by its strict adherence to being as visually impressive as possible at all times while paying lip service to stealth, why, the team wouldn't have had even the slightest chance.

As for The Thing From Another World, I like that it's not really horror, in that the guys at the station seem to have the whole thing well in hand the entire time and it's mostly just witty banter between the personnel as they dispatch the weird creature they've got messing around. Amusingly, the whole thing's played off as not that big a deal, and hardly anyone dies at all. Very refreshing in that sense despite its age, and the mood makes it rather well-suited for a game.
Oh I see, so the Thing could've killed everyone during the fight scenes, but it just decided not to. :P That's fair I guess. I think the Thing turns into an animal when it goes full combat mode. It's the only explanation for why it doesn't prioritize at all by targeting people carrying flamethrowers or guns. The Thing is supposed to be weak when it's been unmasked. Every kill it achieved was due to a surprise transformation or an ambush (the few off-screen kills as well as when Blair-thing grabs Gary's face). I dunno, I love JC's The Thing. The psychological/stealth nature of the monster is unique and made for an exciting view when I saw it the first time. The movie would've been boring as all hell if it was just a bog-standard shapeshifter, stalking the characters around the base, instead of JC's version of the monster. If you want a Thing that's faster and doesn't waste time then you might like the pre-sequel better, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the older one.

Hmm I think that movie deserves a second watch. There are too many horror films where you spend all your time watching the characters overreact. I hate watching characters be terrified into doing stupid things while everyone shouts "no! stop! don't! you'll kill us all!".

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2015, 02:11:40 pm »

The thing was slow to transform, was it's main weakness. It could have transformed into something more dangerous but
a) it was quite a cowardly thing
b)it still would have lost to flamethrowers, against which you can't really evolve a defence.

To try to be a hunting creature like that would have been more risky, and as soon as it splits, it becomes only concerned about its own survival. Otherwise the blood test would have failed and the Thing would have won.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2015, 05:13:12 pm »

Ah, so we're going in the open with this? Yeah, I was the Thing. Hide the bloodied clothes as bad oil rags that needed disposing (helpful that the only other person who should be in there to look around is blind), attacks of opportunity, try to keep up the atmosphere of this being as it was originally shown to be as long as I could. Equipment to radio out would of been the first to go.

It was fun while it lasted.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2015, 05:16:53 pm »

Hah, I played a blind person for a reason :P.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7