Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Ice Station Yankee [OOC/Signup]: Experimental Military Research  (Read 7434 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Station Yankee [OOC/Signup]: Experimental Military Research
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2014, 05:47:13 pm »

Probably be easier to- Nevermind, that would have made atleast two others know where the place is...

Well, lets hope the place has camo.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2014, 06:12:13 pm »

Could you spoiler that helicopter please Funk? The downwash is messing up my hair.

Isn't having military installations in Antarctica highly illegal by international law?

Also, interesting to know we're in Antarctica rather than the Arctic. What do we need an Arctic Guide for, if that's the case? Seems like we're as far from their area of expertise as is geographically possible. As well as not having much use for a guide in the first place.

Or is this the sort-of-Antarctica-but-actually-Alaska kind of Antarctica, with something other than endless polar desert without any polar bears to look at?
Quote from: Antarctic Treaty
Article 1 – The area to be used for peaceful purposes only; military activity, such as weapons testing, is prohibited but military personnel and equipment may be used for scientific research or any other peaceful purpose;
So to answer your question: no, having a military base in the Antarctic is not illegal.

That's a mistake, thanks for the catch. I did mean (Ant)arctic Guide. And I don't see why you wouldn't want someone who is an expert on navigating the region. I can always remove him from the team if you don't think he's necessary.

This is definitely Antarctica as it was known in 1989.

How does the canon here differ from that of the real Cold War? Could we get a guide on the social climate, and perhaps some contemporary lingo?
I simply cannot be arsed to give a play by play of everything that occurred politically in the last 40 years when there are more important things I should be doing like eating cheese. I think the details of the world are better left to people's imaginations.

TL;DR version of the OP: Russia has stealth WMD delivery system they could use at any time and everyone is competing to get something that can match it to re-institute a MAD situation before they become confident enough to start blowing people up.

Wait did you miss my character back story?
Er, now that you mention it I have to say it's kind of a mess, not sure what to make of it. What war were you in?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 06:14:27 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2014, 06:21:17 pm »

TL;DR version of the OP: Russia has stealth WMD delivery system they could use at any time and everyone is competing to get something that can match it to re-institute a MAD situation before they become confident enough to start blowing people up.
Im surprised they hadent started, what with worry that America would nuke them before they could get it working.

Course, they probally built them for fear of America building some sorda SDI to render their nukes useless...

For the only real nation that really dident want to fire off nukes, they where rather twitchy...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2014, 09:39:33 pm »

So I,  as a cook already at the station, know the other people already there?
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2014, 09:48:45 pm »

They might have held off the orientation until the science team arrived.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2014, 10:18:42 pm »

Wait did you miss my character back story?
Er, now that you mention it I have to say it's kind of a mess, not sure what to make of it. What war were you in?

Your right that is a bit of a mess.
To cut a long story short WW2 first as a conscript in the Russian army and later a volunteer in the wehrmacht.
Other than a short fight in Prague she has no first hand military experience.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 11:17:18 pm »

It's 1989 in the game. So your char would be about 60 years old.

E: The age thing is objectively okay, but just to clarify, my real concern is that your character has so little modern combat experience. The US Army is more likely to send someone with more experience, in more recent conflict. Literally anyone would probably be a better choice for the job than this hypothetical person, but ideally this person would be a veteran, and one of the best soldiers in the world.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:24:11 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2014, 01:01:26 am »

That's a mistake, thanks for the catch. I did mean (Ant)arctic Guide. And I don't see why you wouldn't want someone who is an expert on navigating the region. I can always remove him from the team if you don't think he's necessary.

It's just that I don't think there are any experts on navigating the region. I'm trying to imagine who might qualify as an expert (Roald Amundsen?) and what exactly they're intended to be doing in the base, given that as a general rule you don't wander off very far from it unless you're interested in the local geology or some such thing.

But hey, if the military feels we need one, why not?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2014, 04:39:51 pm »

You misunderstand, he's not a guide because he's intimately familiar with every part of Antarctica, he's a guide because he has survival skills, he knows the ecology of the place and perhaps most importantly he has a command of snowcraft. If you like, perhaps he led the team that originally built the base and he does in fact know the surrounding area to a degree. I could easily edit that into his bio.

It's just that I don't think there are any experts on navigating the region. I'm trying to imagine who might qualify as an expert (Roald Amundsen?) and what exactly they're intended to be doing in the base, given that as a general rule you don't wander off very far from it unless you're interested in the local geology or some such thing.

But hey, if the military feels we need one, why not?
Around 1989 I think was when the 30th Antarctic Exp. occurred. There are still ventures there today. My point being that a lot of people have walked on that continent, many of them civilians, many of them not famous at all for doing it. Even so, as I said before, it doesn't matter if the individual in this case has ever set foot on Antarctica. Your hypothetical guide probably hasn't been to Antarctica but he would definitely be a veteran in journeying and surviving on a tundra, which is the whole point.

Say the helicopter and radio aren't working (or for some other reason help can't come), wouldn't you say his presence drastically increases your chances of surviving until contact is reestablished or the helicopter is repaired? Worst case scenario you guys have to wait a year until anyone even realizes something is wrong when the boat makes it's biannual trip and finds the supplies they dropped off last time were never picked up.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 04:41:23 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2014, 05:20:02 pm »

Personally, I'm all for an Antarctic guide.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2014, 05:20:50 pm »

Where approximately is the base?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2014, 05:25:07 pm »

I can't tell you that.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2014, 05:28:41 pm »

I can't tell you that.
Can you tell me? I am[\I] the pilot.
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2014, 05:33:14 pm »

Not until the game starts!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2014, 05:45:29 pm »

The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7