Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Ice Station Yankee [OOC/Signup]: Experimental Military Research  (Read 7417 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Ice Station Yankee [OOC/Signup]: Experimental Military Research
« on: December 07, 2014, 04:33:39 am »

IC Thread

The Cold War is silently revived when United States intelligence operatives uncover irrefutable evidence that Soviet Russia possesses an arsenal of nuclear capable walking tanks. There is presently no possible outcome where a nation could hope to even survive against an enemy who can undetectably launch nuclear weapons from anywhere in the world. The CIA lost some of their best men trying to capture the plans to the nuclear tank, and ultimately they fail, though efforts haven't ceased to continue to monitor the technology's development. The US turns to their experts come up with a solution. Time passes, much knowledge is gained, and finally, the light of progress can be glimpsed. The sum of more than a decade of research has combined to form the "Shell" program, an attempt to create the ultimate deterrent, a device that can train a man in all the skills he needs to become an expert soldier within less than 24 hours. The year is 1989. One final project, and a single, blank check. Failure will mean the destruction of the free world. Failure is not an option.

Military Outpost North 41
Outpost N.41, as known to its occupants, so referred to as Station Y(ankee) on the mainland United States in top secret communiques. The base was constructed only a few months ago, and the primary experts are traveling there to complete the development and perform the final testing on the project. Some personnel have been there weeks in advance in order to prepare for their arrival.

Spoiler: Main Base (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Roles (click to show/hide)
Code: (Character Sheet) [Select]
Name: Must be American. Those of you who are foreign were forced to acquire an American name when you joined the project. You may choose whether or not to disclose your "real" name when the game starts.
Role: Choose the role you would prefer. Multiple people can apply for the same role. I reserve the right to at any time decide who will end up with what role.
Appearance: Describe your age, the way you look, and the clothes you tend to wear. You are all military personnel, but none of you have uniforms for security reasons.
Bio: Describe your past. You are all American citizens, but you need not have been born in the United States.
Inventory: Please delete this text and then leave the field blank.

Gameplay
Each turn marks the passage of one hour. Your goal is to perform your job to the best of your ability, and ultimately complete the device that will one day win the war against the Reds. Talking is a free action, conversation can be understood by anyone in the same room, and can be heard by anyone in adjacent rooms or hallways, depending on the state of doors and other intervening obstacles like walls.

Roles
Your role is extremely important. It determines not only your skills, but also your responsibilities at the base. Not everyone has access to every part of the base, most important rooms are secure. You oftentimes need permission and/or supervision and the proper key to go somewhere you normally wouldn't be.

The Gentleman's Agreement
To emphasize communication and roleplaying each player will only be able to see and hear from his own perspective. All players post their actions in spoilers titled 'ACTION'. You are only to read the spoilers marked for you and you alone. Spectators can open all the spoilers they like.

If I suspect you have been cheating or that a spectator has passed you information intentionally or no, you will be kicked from the game and that will be that.
If you accidentally click the wrong spoiler and read something (because it does happen from time to time), regardless of how mundane the information was, do not post, PM me and I will decide how to proceed; don't be scared, I just need to know what meta-info is in now your possession, and chances are the game will be able to continue without any problems.
If a spoiler posted by either me or another player isn't named, don't open it, bring it to everyone's attention in OOC just to be safe.

Players
Code: [Select]
Harry Baldman///Jennifer Rowland, Station Commander

MrVoid///Eleanor Reinhardt, Senior Biologist

Funk///Catherine Smith, Physician

scapheap///Pearl Lancaster, Tactical Adviser

Remuthra///Freddy Van Stan, Chief Mechanic

Xanmyral///Malcom Torres, Assistant Mechanic

Masches///Jack Woods, Helicopter Pilot

GiglameshDespair///Jane Doe, Helicopter Co-Pilot

Playergamer///Alex Stevens, Radio Operator

Powder Miner///Sarge Stanford, Dog Handler

SilverDragon///Jack Bawler, Cook

SaberToothTiger///Marcus Wessneck, Assistant Cook
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:09:12 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Station Yankee OOC/Signup: Experimental Military Research
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:53:12 am »

I like this idea!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 09:31:56 am »

A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:05:53 am »

Metal gear?!

You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 10:07:46 am »

Posting in a moment, reserving dis spot.

Edit!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:16:18 am by SilverDragon »
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 10:29:31 am »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 10:55:51 am »

...I think I'll join, though I do question if it wouldn't be way more secure just to use PMs.
Also, I suppose if we weren't supposed to open up signup spoilers, you'll have to deny this since I opened them before I even read the whole post >.>
not sure if that's the case though

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 11:03:06 am »

If we weren't able to see applications, we would not be able to choose roles not yet filled; therefore, as there is no provision for solving that issue in another way, we can see applications.

The reason this is being done through spoilers is so that spectators can see what is going on (and us, once events are resolved). Personally, I suggest that if necessary the players could perhaps save their PM communiques and set up an archive of activities at specified times.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 11:05:06 am »

I'm fairly sure we can open the spoilers people use for characters, since he didn't say we had to put them in spoilers in the first place.

In any case, I've only been reading people's names and genders to get a general idea of the crew.
I'm assuming we would be informed of at least the names of the people we're working with, but meh. I could be wrong.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 11:08:48 am »

I'm down.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:15:05 pm by Xanmyral »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 11:17:02 am »

nabbing a spot
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 11:51:32 am »

Yeah it's okay to read signup spoilers. :3 No worries fellas. Thanks for being careful though!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 12:39:38 pm »

Spoiler: Heli co-pilot (click to show/hide)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 01:15:48 pm »

Excellent work by everyone so far, these are some of the best characters I've ever had in a game!

Updated the Role spoiler so you can see who's applied for what roles so far.

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 01:50:04 pm »

Spoiler: Eleanor Reinhardt (click to show/hide)
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7