Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Born of Night  (Read 3591 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Born of Night
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 02:26:18 am »

I live in Australia and have done so for damn near all of my life. You use 'an' when referring to something starting with a vowel and 'a' when referring to something starting with a consonant. The vowels are 'a', 'e', 'i', 'o', and 'u'. Everything else - including 'h' - is a consonant. 'Herbalist' starts with 'h' - a consonant. You use 'a' before 'herbalist', not 'an'. That 'h' is not a silent letter like the 'k' in knight or something. You pronounce it. Not pronouncing it is grammatical HERESY.

Not you too Andres :"(

Can't we just use internet language?

Ambidextrous

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually no, not really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 03:25:55 am »

Our name is Oswald Khan.

We are Male.

The passerby who found us was an Herbalist.
+1
+2

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 05:04:12 am »

+1 to everything except Prophet's suggestion.
nvm, turns out he actually spelled the sentence right and it was GUNIN who mutilated it.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 07:39:06 am »

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 08:21:16 am »

According to a few dictionaries and a decent part of the Internet, it's an herbalist, not a herbalist. Similiar to an honors, versus a honors.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 09:59:30 am »

English is confusing and illogical language. Don't fight over it too much.

Our name is Oswald Khan.

We are Male.

The passerby who found us was an Herbalist.
+1
+2
+3
+4. We are many.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Born of Night
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 01:34:21 pm »

You awake to the sound of your father yelling your name from the ground floor,

"Oswald, Oswald! Wake up and get down here boy, there's much to today, and no time for laziness!"

You grudgingly claw your way out of bed, and throw on some clothes before making your way down to see what job your adoptive father had for you today. Running down the stairs you find the kitchen and dining room empty, and instantly know your father must be back in the workshop already creating today's assortment of poultices and solutions. Pushing open the door at the back of the dining room you enter the workshop to find your father, one Rolf Khan, sitting in the center of a cluster of tables covered in herbs, bowls, mortars and pestles, and a myriad other tools he used for his job as a herbalist. Smiling up at you as you enter he speaks up,

"Sorry to wake you Oswald, but I'm a bit swamped with work today, old lady Gertrud caught a fever and Thomas' son has taken ill with a cough that has him bringing up blood. While I take care of those I need you to go see what herbs you cam rather on the edge of the Redwood and to deliver these to the Theocracy guard station."

With that he points to a large bundle wrapped in cloth and tied off with twine sitting on the table. You take a moment to ponder which job to do first, the delivery would take you into town and from what you heard some travelling band was supposed to be passing through today while the herb gathering would take you to he Redwood and into the forest itself trying to find any herbs that might be useful to you and your father's work.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 02:45:03 pm »

Respond "No problem dad i'll get a few herbs for you before going into town. Do you need anything specific right away? Or do you just want me  to wing it?"

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 03:07:22 pm »

Respond "No problem dad i'll get a few herbs for you before going into town. Do you need anything specific right away? Or do you just want me  to wing it?"
+1
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 03:12:52 pm »

+1

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 05:57:51 pm »

+1
+1

Ambidextrous

• Bay Watcher
  • Actually no, not really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 08:17:58 pm »

+1
+1
+1

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Born of Night
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2014, 05:37:28 pm »

Respond "No problem dad i'll get a few herbs for you before going into town. Do you need anything specific right away? Or do you just want me to wing it?"

"Hmmm ... Get anything you think will be of use, but try your best to find some Feverfew, Brackenroot, and Hadzimith since I've used most of our supplies of it on the medicine for the Guard Station. Just remember to be careful, the wolves have been overactive this year."

You exchange a few more pleasantries with your father before making your way out of the house, grabbing a leather satchel on your way out to store the herbs and your deliveries in. As you step out the front door you take a look around taking in your surroundings, a low stone wall runs around the outside cutting your house and the surrounding gardens off from the grasslands, and fields beyond. A dozen other houses, and hovels are sprawled out in front of your house, the other residents of the little settlement that the people in your region call East Hamlet. Most of the other people are already out working in the grain fields surrounding the East Hamlet preparing for the next harvest though a few house wives, and children sit chatting over the drying laundry in the center of the village. You smile, and wave to them as you greet you, but quickly make your way out of the village following a dirt road heading to the west. Towards the Redwood.

It takes a good while for the grain fields to give way to open pastures, and for the outskirts of the forest to become visible over the tops of the golden grain and rolling hills. After that the surroundings turn to a seemingly endless amount of rolling hills, and sparse copses dotted around the landscape, it hardly looks like a region entering the first days of fall you think. By the time you arrive at the Redwood's edge the sun is high in the sky, and you feel a good film of sweat and dirt building up from your travels. Looking around at the endless sprawl of trees you pick out two familiar paths, one well tread and clear of vegetation skirting around the edge of the forest, and the other more a thin game trail overgrown and narrow.

Looking at the paths you're unsure which to take, the road is safer yet is unlikely to wield as many herbs as the less safe game trail is like to grant you ...

-----

Edit:

Quick explanation of the plants listed:

Feverfew: Feverfew is an actual plant in real life that is used for helping relieve migraine headaches, fever, and arthritis. (Scientifically not proven, but who needs science in a fantasy setting :V)

Brackenroot: Brackenroot is a made up plant, it looks like a very small shriveled brown shrub with thorns. Its roots are useful in helping with fevers, and fighting off infections while the rest can make a mild pain inducing toxin when mixed with feverfew and boiled.

Hadzimith: Hadzimith is another made up plant. It looks like a tiny bright red flower with a pale yellowish stalk, the flower usually has flecks of black throughout it. The stalk can be ground into a paste with brackenroot and feverfew to fend off infection, numb pain, and help the wound heal faster. The flower however is a fairly strong hallucinogenic when prepared correctly.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:46:36 pm by adwarf »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 05:40:32 pm »

Father is always going on about wolves, but you've never had much of a problem before. Take the game trail. Besides, the sooner you finish, the sooner you can get back inside, away from anything that might maul you.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:42:21 pm by Remuthra »

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 05:42:02 pm »

We should listen to our father's warnings and take the safer road.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.
Pages: 1 [2]