Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Imperial Splendour - A Rising Suns Game Need 1 Player  (Read 7761 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Splendour - A Rising Suns Game (5/5 Players) OOC
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2014, 02:22:03 pm »

Your RP is perfectly fine, seeing how this game is about court intrigue and characters.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2014, 09:45:46 am »

Yeah good job i like it.

And now to something i really hate to do because i would like to include most of the orders but in games before i have done this and it was a mistake since it made it impossible to gm, so i'll be blunt, this is not meant to discourage you from trying to get creative just to make clear what works and doesn't work.

TECH is not included in this game. Why? Becaus eit adds an extra layer to a game which has quite a lot of layers already. Its sad guys i know but it will not be included as actual game mechanic.
ICly Technology is still stagnating most of what you do is refitting and reusing stuff that survived the Downfall aka Warhammer 40k style. Technology will rise again as the game progresses and some things may become more commonplace but as it stands imagine the following: The farther you get away from the imperial palace the lower the tech level is. Agri-Prime for example is mostly stuck in the 17th century, at the same time contrasting that, the nobles have high-technology and your personal guards are power-armoured (although not genetically engineered anymore (which was still the case in HOTRS I, since that tech had been lost and all gene-engineered guys are dead of old age by now...exceptions do exist however). Your Armies work basically as a medieval army would work only that the Drafted Peasantry is armed with muskets and rifles and the "knights" are power-armoured and have laser,plasma and what have you not rifles. Your standing army (read a core of your soldiers...that means roughly a fifth to a tenth of them) is armed in light flak armour (think standard imperial guard soldiers) and has laser rifles.
Power-Armours themsevles have made combat largely infantry based, since a squad of them is as good as a platoon of tanks. So vehicles are rare but exist.
Generally you can always assume a sharp contrast in tech the further you get away. Vengeance would be a mad-max tech-level scenario for example. But yeah as time goes on tech-will still only rise slowly, no amount of your actions will change that. Please accept that as it is.

The same goes for all your Business proposals and micromanaging of fiefs and of population and other stuff. First of all businesses can't be raised where isnt a need for them. And the ability to invest in new fiefs i have told to some people is something i don't want to see used too often. General Rule of Thumb: You Are Nobles you don't micromanage you delegate. You don't go down and dirty and start brining up more businesses in your homelands, you have your local barons, knights, magistrates and whatever strikes your fancy to call your underlings do that.
Every now and then however i will offer business opportunities, things that may become a problem in the future or other events which happen in your fiefs. In those cases you can get creative again.
Example, i've now seen two players with different approaches to their Xenos in their homelands. As stupid and idiotically as it may sound, this game isn't about social change or the dictatorship simulator 5000 simply because the game would bloat out of proportion. I know its a bummer but i simply can't handle so many different things, not to mention that i have no mechanics for that stuff.
THese things are handled by Events, it makes it far easier to manage it by me and allows me to make these things far more unique, engaging and challenging rather than "roll 1d6, oh a 5, 5 of your fiefs filled with Landholders rebel because you gave the Slaves emancipation)".

Now lets get to the next phases: politicking and spying. Ive seen you guys attempt quite complicated strategies and that in itself is fine but again it starts bloating. I think it stands in the Op but if not here again how Espionage, Propaganda and similiar stuff works:

First you need a plot, a plot can go from "Kill X" to "Kill X, while blaming it on Y causing a war between T and Z and at the same time forment a rebellion in Xs territories".
You can go and try to buy out a Triumvir or forment rebellions in others territories, but it always starts with a plot.

Then you assign people to a plot. General rule of Thumb a Noble gives you one plot point. If he has the Skilled/Natural Spymaster Traits he gets more points. Now you can also hire agents which do exactly the same thing: you hire them for 2 Wealth (one time) and after that you can use them for whatever. However you need to infiltrate your agent somewhere, be it in the fief of the other guy or as his personal chambermaid. Once an agent is infiltrated he can act. And also adds points to your plot. Depending on his skill (no you cannot build a spy academy to train those guys) he will give you more points in your plot. Now at some point we come to a conclusion Each plot point adds 1d6 to your final roll and rolls against the complexity of your plan ( a 20 stage plan has far more chances to fail than a simple one), whatever security and counterespionage has been provided and potential other factors influencing your plot. the result determines whether your plot succeeds or fails.
All of this will be handled via pm. So yeah Morgarten might want to start hiring agents.

And finally the Military Academy. Yes the Military academy is among the only buildings you can construct. It will allow you to train either your own family members or hired no-names to a better level of military skill. It costs 5 wealth to build takes one season. After that whoever trains or is educated there takes another season or even longer (depending on what results you want) to be better at his skills. It costs 2 Wealth to maintain per turn and no-names trained there are double as expensive as no-names you just buy off the Rent-A-General roster.
So you ask why no Economic Academy or a Spy Academy? No Economic Academy because everything in this game runs together when wealth is concerned, you can do pretty much everythign with money. Allowing you to create an Economic Academy would be a perpetuem mobile, you get money build an academy train your nobles get more money train your nobles more etc.
No Espionage Acadmy because i want to prevent giant clusterfucks of assassinations. I like the plotting and all but not in a stupid, fifty assassinations and overthrows per turn. So yeah thats why no spy academies.
Also note that Military Academies may give you bad traits, terrible traits even, which may ruin your potential general or noble.

Okay i think i covered everything i wanted to (i propably forgot half) and hope i didnt ruin the game too much for you guys, but all these things simply can't be handled with the game as it stands nor do i have the skill or endurance to handle them additionally to the normal game. And finally because it appaears whatever i write in this forums seems to offend people: nothing of this was meant in an insulting, deprecating (i hope thats the word), ignorant or haughty way. I just tried to state the facts as i see them. that is all.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »

Sooo how do you build up a military or upgrade it? Or is that not possible?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2014, 08:02:52 pm »

Pretty much, you just raise levies. Of course, every levy you raise means a fief can't be used for producing money. It's a trade off.

EDIT: Also, I honestly hope you aren't going to rush me, because I rather doubt that'll work out well for you :3
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:06:55 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2014, 08:16:06 pm »

No, i was actually thinking about making my forces more defense focused i.e holding a line, stronghold defenses, etc.

i have like 2 fiefs and you have like 14..i need a better plan then just slug it out.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2014, 08:19:01 pm »

You have four, and I have 18. I'm not about to risk the wrath of the emperor by attacking you anytime soon. Besides, there's a lot better targets as well.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2014, 08:24:38 pm »

4 to 18 is still VERY bad odds. Right now i just need more friends before the big party kicks off.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2014, 08:26:39 pm »

It looks like 4v18 right now. But I can't even afford to raise half of it given my financial situation :P

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2014, 08:31:42 pm »

Hopefully if my plans go through it'll stay that way :D

But possibly not because i put my plans out their. Oh well.

I'm guessing our first 5 years update will be tomorrow?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2014, 08:37:07 pm »

We get two seasons first, THEN five years. And as for my financial situation, it's only going to get better regardless of your actions (Or possibly because of it :P )

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2014, 08:39:52 pm »

Awww. Fine.

Well, let's hope your characters don't get overloaded with so many fiefs under their control. An no one turns into a drunk while at the capital.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:48:48 pm by 3man75 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2014, 08:59:10 pm »

They shouldn't, they're at the max before they have to hand some over to a vassal. As for drunkeness, I already have a glutton and a wastrel. I'm pretty sure a drunk can't be any worse :P

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2014, 09:01:24 pm »

Working at your max and only at 1/3 are two different things. They'll have to keep thier nose to the books and take shotguns like uni students. (shotguns are full cups of coffee).

Plus the drunk can be dangerous to PR.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2014, 09:26:49 pm »

Yeah, but only if it gets out of hand, and no-one really has the personnel to actually ensure it does (Or, atleast enough that my huge amount of guard contingents can't handle :P ). And furthermore, given the larger bits of land, not to mention the extra middle managers means it should run just as well.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2014, 10:05:41 pm »

Imperial news today: Azores family member participates in a bar fight.

Best pr material.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7