Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make throwing of bolts/arrows realistic  (Read 1885 times)

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make throwing of bolts/arrows realistic
« on: December 06, 2014, 04:52:16 pm »

I think that a relatively simple way to make adventure mode combat more realistic is to make it so throwing arrows and bolts is less deadly. Right now it's more effective to throw them then to actually fire them because of the rate of fire for bows/crossbows. Thrown arrows/bolts that hit seem to damage nerves/ligaments to the point of crippling limbs a good 35-50% of the time.

The vast majority of people even those who are athletic cannot throw an arrow or bolt with enough velocity to do that kind of damage. Past 10 feet away there would barely even be a chance of leaving more then a tiny nick in the skin. The only real ways in which this would ever be used is in desperation and even then the only way anything would come of it is if you were within ~10 feet of someone and it managed to poke out one of there eyes.

On one hand this isn't that significant of an issue but there are definetly times where myself and I'm sure other people have used it as a crutch. For example in caves/lairs you can toss an arrow/bolt at whatever is in there and cripple it before it gets to you. Without a real weapon like a dagger to throw you shouldn't be able to do that without using a ranged weapon. It seems cheap that picking up a quiver of arrows is like suddenly having 30 daggers.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make throwing of bolts/arrows realistic
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 05:58:47 pm »

Throwing in general, really.

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:33:41 pm »

Yes, that's a good point.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 07:34:48 pm »

Fluffy Wamblers too, so OP.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 04:07:56 am »

Fluffy Wamblers too, so OP.

But then how would we take the heads off of Bronze Colossi?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 04:37:55 am »

Throwing in general, really.
Yep. I used a handful of live slugs to kill an entire wolf pack once...
Or the adventurer who used two bags of strawberries to kill hundreds of bandits and a necromancer tower...
Or when I threw night creature blood into the creature's heart only to have it pull the blood out and die.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug with how speed is calculated, and I'm sure it will be fixed eventually.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 05:03:47 am »

Adventurers throwing things is rather overpowered at the moment, especially since no one else seems to do it. The problem seems to be in the velocities of the thrown objects.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 11:45:34 am »

I threw a steel serrated disk at a hydra and bifurcated it. It should've been embedded in it's scales.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 02:31:09 pm »

Beasts' hides are generally far too weak. Actually, beasts in general are far too weak at the moment.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 05:05:14 pm »

Ooone hundred and eighty!
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »

How shall we through our atomic rock grenades to blow goblins to pieces, and then blow up other goblins with those pieces? (Holy shit, goblin fission, science needs to be done.... )
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 10:36:55 am »

There is no need. Besides, I am sure dwarves could make catapults to throw boulders big enough to squish goblins.

For old times' sake.