Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Golems, Golems  (Read 3183 times)

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
Golems, Golems
« on: December 06, 2014, 01:31:37 pm »

DAT EDIT THO: I have created a +dwarf fortress mod+

I present!
KitKat's Golems Mod v0.5
(my first (mostly) successful DF modding-style endeavor *confetti*)

>>Installation instructions:
1. Click all up upon this link
2. Download dat .zip
3. Unzip dat .zip
4. Read READMEH.txt
5. Do what it says

You will have to gen a new world (I sorry)

>>Info:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

>>KNOWN ISSUES:

>>CHANGELOG:

>>PLANNED CHANGES:

DFFD/u/guale
Bay12/u/Ladygolem
Bay12/u/StagnantSoul
Github/u/lethosor
DFWiki/u/Shaostoul
Bay12/u/Hugo_The_Dwarf
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:12:12 pm by katwithk »
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Golems, Golems
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 01:46:19 pm »

There's currently no way to make like without a reaction or dfhack. One way you could do this is to add a syndrome to a stone that boils at room temperature, with dwarves being immune to it. Set up a workshop to make this material from stone, and the gas cloud would hit, say, a cat. Now you have a golem. Make the creature trainable, and you can have war golems. You can also do so with metal. I don't quite know how to do it, but this is a process I've been told works.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 01:50:20 pm »

Yeah the only way I'm seeing to do it would cost me a creature in the process.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 01:55:44 pm »

Cage the war prisoners, drag them to the golem pit, and subject them to the gas cloud. "Heal" wounded animals by gassing them. I suggest making the golems out of obsidian and iron. Maybe one shaped like an elephant sized cave dragon, requiring tons and tons of ore?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 05:16:35 pm »

War prisoners to golems, now there is an idea I can get on board with.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 05:25:56 pm »

Someone call me? ;)

PTW!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 07:23:03 pm »

Its somewhat of an exploitable system though, as a player can potentially just stack 100 cats in one square and gas that.

Of course you can also just... not do that, but having to intentionally restrict myself during gameplay always breaks immersion for me a bit.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 07:39:42 pm »

So should we get rid of dfhack, just because I can turn the entire map to adamantine?

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 01:58:03 am »

Its somewhat of an exploitable system though, as a player can potentially just stack 100 cats in one square and gas that.

Of course you can also just... not do that, but having to intentionally restrict myself during gameplay always breaks immersion for me a bit.

Stacking 100 cats in one square, or otherwise being "exploity", breaks my immersion, so there ya go.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 02:01:01 am »

I'm working on some code for this presently, I should have testable results in a day or two.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 04:25:44 am »

Another way to do this is to have the gas give the syndrome to the worker in the reaction instead, and the syndrome gives the worker an interaction to turn a single unit into a golem.
I do stuff, I guess

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 05:15:01 am »

So. I've run into a bit of a dead end and it's 2am. My custom reaction is making my dwarf a TOAD instead of the intended golem creature. As I reference a toad nowhere in my code, I can only assume this is some sort of default. I'll have to brain it more tomorrow when my brain actually is working. Modding is hard, and I do not have any clue what I'm doing.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 05:49:20 am »

I fixed the above. Depry derpington typo error, causing the transformation to reference an iron oglem.

It works, with a few caveats:

I cannot seem to get the reaction to accept just small gems, as opposed to gems of a specific kind. I tried doing so, but I think the result is that the reagent is just ignored.

I originally had the reaction use an item created at the same workshop (a golem heart) but I could not get said object to actually come into existence (I had the reaction, the object raw, etc, and it was "crafted" but never actually came into existence)

So as of right now what happens is the golemee brings about 24 iron bars to the golem shop (which requires magma, and is constructed of four obsidian blocks and an anvil) and is then instantaneously transformed into an Iron Golem.

Iron Golems are hunks of living metal that bear the name and likeness of their component dwarf, but are otherwise distinct beings. They can only gain combat skills, however any skills they had when they were golemated -will never rust-
They have three eyes, three fingers on each hand, and two toes on each foot. They have a fixed body temperature slightly above that of dwarves, and radiate heat. They trample grass at quadruple the normal rate of other creatures.
They are active during all parts of the day. They do not sleep, eat, drink, think, feel, or fear. They are immune to webs and paralysis, as well as not requiring their eyes to actually be intact for them to see. They will, by default, run at and engage enemies (even if not drafted into the military) They have no thought center, and are iron through-and-through
Their max age is between 1200 and 2400 years.

---

Thoughts:
As of now, since gem requirements and skill associations (for creating the hear) are removed, I plan to up the iron cost -CONSIDERABLY- to compensate for the value of the end product (probably something in the range of 160-240 ingots)
That aside, the project is considered a success. The initial goal was to create manufacturable, disposable soldiers to even the numbers odds against invading armies. What it has provided me instead is a means to turn the Urist McUselesses into unfeeling tools of Armok's cold fury.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 05:57:14 am by katwithk »

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 05:56:21 am »

I cannot seem to get the reaction to accept just small gems, as opposed to gems of a specific kind. I tried doing so, but I think the result is that the reagent is just ignored.

I originally had the reaction use an item created at the same workshop (a golem heart) but I could not get said object to actually come into existence (I had the reaction, the object raw, etc, and it was "crafted" but never actually came into existence)
We can probably help if you post the raws.
I do stuff, I guess

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 05:58:40 am »

Going to post everything once I have something I'm pleased with, at this point I'm just happy it works an am going to bed lol. I have to sort through like 897298731 open notepad pages in the morning
Pages: [1] 2 3