Poll

Polling round 2

Python
- 5 (29.4%)
C# or other version of C
- 12 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Bay12 EconSim creation/discussion thread  (Read 10500 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 EconSim creation/discussion thread
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2014, 07:03:16 pm »

Can I program in C# and test my code without shelling out big bucks for microsoft visual studio?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2014, 07:07:09 pm »

Unity uses mono develop for its IDE (Unity and monodevelop are free of course)

There is also visual studio express which is free (just not full featured)

from the looks of it we are using Unity so I would advise trying to use unity and get used to it with mono develop. Though there is nothing wrong with using something like visual studio

For Windows 7 and earlier:
http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs#d-express-windows-desktop

For Windows 8.1:
http://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs#d-express-windows-8
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:09:59 pm by dennislp3 »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2014, 07:09:50 pm »

This looks like something I should be into.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2014, 07:52:17 pm »

We really need to agree what basic form the game will take. When you play the game, are you looking at a map of the region, or of your own building? Or both? Do concepts like "map" and "resources" even exist? These sort of things are as or more important than the setting and theme.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2014, 07:53:53 pm »

I believe we had moved towards a consensus of a map?  Is this wrong?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2014, 07:55:45 pm »

We really need to agree what basic form the game will take. When you play the game, are you looking at a map of the region, or of your own building? Or both? Do concepts like "map" and "resources" even exist? These sort of things are as or more important than the setting and theme.

I propose the first iteration, essentially a tech demo, should consist of a flat map, 5 or 6 basic resources (food, wood, metal, coins, magic stones, and something else). There should be a few "towns" plopped about on this flat grid with your guild starting in one of them. Each town can have a basic system of consumption and production

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2014, 08:01:48 pm »

As soon as I can get up to speed in C# I am making a very basic seller and buyers markets.  Sellers will sell to the player only and will offer at a price that follows the classic supply curve.  Buyers buy from the player only and will buy one unit of whichever item they think is the best value for their money in the players inventory. The buyers can also chose just to keep their money.  The player will set the price of everything in their inventory.  Every customer checks sales every time the player choses sales in a town.  Money of non-player entities is not tracked.  I am doing only the engine side of this, I'm not doing any outputs beyond printing to console and only console inputs.  My goal is just to start tracking variables for other people to make use of.

But first I need to give myself a crash course in C#.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:03:39 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2014, 08:38:39 pm »

Shameless plug here, but I have some C# videos you might be interested in...
Also I don't know exactly what constitutes experienced in programming, but I could possibly be qualified, depending on the criteria of course. I don't really want to be project lead, because I'm not sure how much time I can devote to this. I absolutely cannot do Art, and I'd probably be rubbish at Story/Lore, so I'll take on UI or mechanics stuff.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »

I'd be so on top of story and lore if I wasn't running like five bajillion FGs right now. I could help always help with art assets though.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2014, 09:14:47 pm »

You can contribute whatever you please and it would be appreciated regardless. The proposed positions are simply to ensure we have a definite "team" that can see the project through and keep it going

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2014, 10:12:24 pm »

Alright, here is a very very simple mock up screen. Nothing really revolutionary, but probably an important first step. Just to make sure we're all on the same page as far as it goes. Obviously we can change the visual style of the elements and everything later.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2014, 10:40:16 pm »

I think that looks great. For the map I was thinking we can do a 3d map, shouldn't be too hard...we can stick with a flat plane for now but I would like something similar to a Crusader Kings II style basic 3d map

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2014, 12:07:33 am »

1. There is a version of Visual Studio called Visual Studio Community, which went up a short time ago (about a month?) and is free to use and very feature-rich. For non-commercial projects there are no limitations whatsoever, I believe, and it might be a good idea to take a look at it.

2. I could work on some code here and there, but with my limited experience I don't want to mess around as project lead... But if there will be no other person willing to take part as story/lore keeper, I could try and pick up the mantle. I'm a big fan of internal consistency and non-standard fantasy worlds, so I should be on the same page as most of you.

3. We should probably use something like Trello to organize our work. It would be a good way to keep plans and stuff while discussing things here.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2014, 02:36:58 am »

I think that looks great. For the map I was thinking we can do a 3d map, shouldn't be too hard...we can stick with a flat plane for now but I would like something similar to a Crusader Kings II style basic 3d map

wouldn't 3d like that be hard to generate later on? I don't know much about the unity asset pipeline, only used it for 2d.

what about a civilization like map? isometric is not so ugly and we can borrow our first assets from freeciv until we get an artist.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2014, 05:07:42 am »

Okay cool, and yeah that's going to be easier, and we just need to get something done now. Having never played Crusader Kings II, I don't really know what it look slike.

wouldn't 3d like that be hard to generate later on? I don't know much about the unity asset pipeline, only used it for 2d.

what about a civilization like map? isometric is not so ugly and we can borrow our first assets from freeciv until we get an artist.

Well the first thing is just a tech demo, so odds are a lot of it will be rewritten/redone anyway. I don't imagine there will be much effort that goes into developing high quality graphics (or probably much graphics at all), so it's not like we'd have to redo all our effort when making it 3d. The code will still be the same basic idea, because it's not like the graphics actually affect the game, they only represent it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7