Poll

Polling round 2

Python
- 5 (29.4%)
C# or other version of C
- 12 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Bay12 EconSim creation/discussion thread  (Read 10481 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 EconSim creation/discussion thread
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2014, 08:24:02 am »

I am a decent programmer and I have a bit of experience with C#, so I may be able to help out. I assume (hope) that we'll be using Git for version control?

Github has a few faults but is very nice overall.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:25:47 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2014, 10:26:51 am »

CK II has a very easy to do map...it's really similar to a boardgame in looks and I think it would be easy to do. It is a basic 3d mesh with textures on it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2014, 09:40:40 pm »

CK II has a very easy to do map...it's really similar to a boardgame in looks and I think it would be easy to do. It is a basic 3d mesh with textures on it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah that looks good. So are we doing this on Github or...?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2014, 10:45:55 am »

As far as I know, yes. I am going to try and have something put together by this weekend for a basic map.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2014, 04:46:20 pm »

Also double post ftw...people need to start coming up with design documentation. Ideas, mechanics, ways to implement things. I am already working on a lot myself. We can not just throw suggestions out and code them in...doesn't work that way (some smaller stuff might but not most of it).

So any features that you want to see...I suggest you put in a written format with an outline of the feature as well as detailed documentation of how it should be implemented and why it should be implemented

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2014, 11:13:23 pm »

I hate this process of learning how to do in C# what is second nature to me in python.  Very slow on the purchasing script right now.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2014, 12:58:23 am »

PTW. Very interested in seeing how this plays out.

I can do some graphic design (Illustrator/Photoshop), but nothing super amazing, and I don't have boatloads of free time.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:00:04 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2014, 07:52:23 am »

I hate this process of learning how to do in C# what is second nature to me in python.  Very slow on the purchasing script right now.

You don't actually have to use C#. Boo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boo_%28programming_language%29) is pretty darn similar to Python, and Unity supports using it. To be honest, I'd also probably prefer Boo.

Also, I don't really want to come up with ideas for the whole game, because I have not the slightest clue about anything having to do with anything in economics.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2014, 12:02:07 pm »

I am drafting up a design document for it that I plan to have done before the end of the weekend that should give us a bit of an outline of a project. So don't worry about that too much if you don't want to.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2014, 12:33:57 pm »

You don't actually have to use C#. Boo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boo_%28programming_language%29) is pretty darn similar to Python, and Unity supports using it. To be honest, I'd also probably prefer Boo.

This looks very promising!

We could have a frankenstein's monster on our hands here.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2014, 01:46:05 pm »

The problem with boo is its lack of documentation and support. Most people use JS or C# and most tools and plugins are made using C# or JS.

Seems a bit risky to use the least used and documented language simply because it is similar to python. C# also has the least performance overhead of the 3.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2014, 07:40:12 pm »

PTW.

Also, I'm not sure how complicated and in depth you all intend on making this, but as possible inspiration for UI elements, the strange bubble system it uses to show the effects of things on other things seems like it could be useful here. TotalBiscuit's WTF is...? video on it explains how it works quite well (though I'm not sure exactly where in the video it is).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRS5p60yX_E
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2014, 07:43:10 pm »

ptw
Maybe I will learn CS things by osmosis.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2014, 07:25:30 am »

This looks very promising!

We could have a frankenstein's monster on our hands here.

That's my main concern, although it may or may not be too big of a deal (although I suspect it is), because I've never really had to deal it with it before.

The problem with boo is its lack of documentation and support. Most people use JS or C# and most tools and plugins are made using C# or JS.

Seems a bit risky to use the least used and documented language simply because it is similar to python. C# also has the least performance overhead of the 3.

I don't know about support, but the Unity scripting documentation does have full documentation for it as far as I know. And of course there is the performance thing to consider, but I don't know if it'll really end up affecting us in the end, because I don't see anything we're doing as really requiring extreme performance.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2014, 11:01:46 am »

If we want a living simulated economy I expect it to be a fairly CPU intensive game. Performance might be a consideration. If our economy only moves and changes when the player acts then that will be a fairly stale simulation
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7