Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Good American MMOs?  (Read 4714 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Good American MMOs?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 12:47:25 am »

Planetside 2 is an MMO, technically, but it's not an RPG if that's what you're asking for. Plus it's got some pretty high system requirements.
Not really. I can play it on my laptop just fine - on non-minimum settings.

My laptop is crap, by the way :P.

Anyway, if I were you I'd be looking for good Antarctic MMOs.

Scott Base is where it's at, chaps.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 02:10:32 am »

Ultima Online. Started in 1997 and still going. Not to mention the many free shards people run. Personally I had more fun with it than any Everquest-based MMO (with the numeric hotbar with cooldown abilities that nearly every MMORPG now has to have).

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 02:32:04 am »

Ultima Online. Started in 1997 and still going. Not to mention the many free shards people run. Personally I had more fun with it than any Everquest-based MMO (with the numeric hotbar with cooldown abilities that nearly every MMORPG now has to have).

Are there any servers (or even official ones) that disallow botting/macroing? If the game is boring enough to get a program to play it for you, then no thanks.

UO is really good gameplay wise...I played till I got fed up with the botters/macroers. I thought it was stupid. Its why I left Asheron's Call (another epic game that  became bot haven and enjoy newer MMOs more...new MMOs tend to ban any sign of botting at all.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 02:55:12 am »

Back when I played (years ago now) you'd find a variety of servers with different skill gain rates - some fast, some low. Some had higher total skill caps, allowing you to max out more skills, and a few had skill caps closer to the (generally considered very low) OSI standard. Some would ban macroing, some wouldn't. My understanding is that people macro'd because they weren't gaining skills as fast as they wanted to, or because the things they were macroing were really repetitive (mining, crafting, fishing...). With mining you generally had to mine a shit-ton of ore, smelt it all into ingots (losing some in the process), and then craft a shit-ton of the same item out of it for maximum skill gain, and then sell them all to NPC vendors, repeatedly, because it's not like you're going to find ~100 players per smith who want to buy every craftable item that's on the path to maxing out smithing, especially with every smith going through the process.

The whole reason those hotbar abilities with cooldowns are popular is because they give you something to do in combat. In UO you double click your target and your character does all the work for you, unless you're an archer (then you kite them while your character shoots for you) or a mage (then you kite them and press macro keys to cast spells, which you set up previously, which is more like other MMOs except you're using mana - or if you're crazy you can try to kite and at the same time try to double click spell buttons you've placed on your screen, and then try to click your target. This is why the game has (simple) macros built in.).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 03:16:08 am »

Yeah, don't play UO. It's cripplingly boring even with a bot, there's zero direction, and every person left will have more money than you'll make in several years of legitimate play.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 05:09:26 pm »

I expected SWTOR to be terrible but it was actually really fun with a subscription.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 07:28:41 pm »

Everything about SWTOR made me want to be doing anything else.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 08:24:23 pm »

Are we allowed to talk about SWG here? No, not the crappy SOE version that got Disneyfied/LucasBarfed on.

Talking about the awesome SWG pre-CU.

Are we allowed to talk about that here? Cause I know on mmorpg.com they ban any mention of it of it...

Cause if we are...then...

/thread

No better western MMO out there.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:46:44 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 09:08:38 pm »

Man, all these acronyms...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 09:16:57 pm »

Are we allowed to talk about SWG here? No, not the crappy SOE version that got Disneyfied/LucasBarfed on.

Talking about the awesome SWG pre-CU.

Are we allowed to talk about that here? Cause I know on mmorpg.com they ban any mention of it of it...

Cause if we are...then...

/thread

No better western MMO out there.

I played a trial of it shortly after it came out. Wasn't overly impressed personally. Was a long time ago, maybe I'll try it aga....oh wait, right.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 11:46:23 pm »

Well, in the end it depends what the poster (or anyone else is looking for):

Want a very relaxing, calming and not stressful MMO experience?
-Both Lord of the Rings Online and Ryzom is best for that. Probably two most relaxing MMOs I played.

Want a lot of fun and action?
-Guild Wars2 and Asheron's Call are both good for that.

Want to solo mostly?
-Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Lord of the Rings Online and Asheron's Call are best for that. World of Warcraft is however not good for soloing, since endgame is 100% grouping

Want hardcore open world PvP?
-EVE Online is probably my to go to one for that. Darkfall gets good feedback too, but I never played it.

Want a good grouping experience?
-Final Fantasy XIV is definitely best for that (especially because grouping is sorta non-forced, but still optimal...so people who group actually WANT to group. Not to group to use you in the group for their own gain. It creates a much friendlier environment) But FFXIV is definitely more on the asian side...so...not american. But it is the best grouping experience of MMOs I've played.

Want the rare, unheard of unique and not a deathmatch PvP clone ...PvE sandbox MMO? They really do exist...that oasis isn't a lie!
-Asheron's Call and Saga of Ryzom are best for that. Keep an eye on Project Gorgon too, as that has some innovative features...but early development.

Want a themepark MMO with most things to do at endgame that isn't just raidraidraidraid or the same battlegrounds over and over?
-Probably EverQuest 2 (mostly due to crafting+housing system+all the collectibles) or Lord of the Rings Online

MMO with best community (friendliest/most mature)?
-I really enjoyed Final Fantasy XIV community, its large and still really friendly. Server specific of course, but server I was on was 3rd largest and very friendly. Last time I played Lord of the Rings Online, it was friendly too even with the F2P stuff. That was before the newest expansion.

MMO with best roleplaying community?
-Probably Elder Scrolls Online. Lord of the Rings Online in second, though it was a lot harder to find last time I played so maybe it shouldn't be listed. ESO had a lot of RP groups though.

MMO with the best leveling experience?
-World of Warcraft

MMO with largest diversity of players (from different countries)
-EVE Online #1 here and Final Fantasy XIV had a lot of americans playing with people that were playing from asia/parts of europe. Most MMOs segregate their servers into region clusters.

And...think that is all I can think of to what people may look for.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:53:31 am by Vendayn »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 11:57:21 pm »

I know what like three of those are.  Not everyone is aware of the shorthand...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 12:06:49 am »

Guild Wars 2, Lord of the Rings Online, EVE is EVE, Final Fantasy 14, EverQuest 2, Asheron's Call and World of Warcraft. Should be all of them.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 12:53:50 am »

I know what like three of those are.  Not everyone is aware of the shorthand...

Sorry about that. I went in and edited it, should be a lot easier to understand now.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 03:45:21 pm »

I forgot one. If you can wait a bit, there is The Repopulation. Its like a modernized Star Wars Galaxies/Tabula Rasa/Shadowbane mix. Crafting is supposed to be really good. Its looking quite good though. NDA is still up, but should be about to end soon if you are curious what others think.

Its a sandbox PvP MMO (I "think" its more faction against other factions, not so much the deathmatch stuff), but is going to have a ton of PvE stuff too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3