Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Good American MMOs?  (Read 4720 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Good American MMOs?
« on: December 06, 2014, 07:43:43 am »

So I've realized that like all MMOs I've played have been Korean.  Not that there's anything wrong with Korea, but a few trends do tend to show up, and get old...  So, anyone suggest any good non-Korean MMOs?

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good American MMOs?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:01:56 am »

Istaria

An ancient MMO that's nearly died a couple hands and has been bailed out by a few different groups. I'm surprised it's still alive and kicking. Fairly standard in regards to the combat classes, with one neat difference: you can switch classes by talking to trainers and keep your levels, but you have an adventure level, based on a fairly complex formula
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The crafting experience is extremely in-depth, with 19 different tradeskill classes that you can switch between, classes like spellcrafter, mason, alchemist and tinkerer. All player housing is player constructed so you basically need a few friends to help build your house or you'll be spending a few months levelling the necessary classes and foraging for the materials. You can also put money on your plot and pay passerbys to place materials.

The game is rather old though, so low population makes the economy stink. Compounding this problem: Items don't wear down, so dedicated crafters will have trouble making a living off selling to other players.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 08:35:43 am »

Guild Wars 2 is one of the best, if you don't mind forking out $30 or so dollars to buy it. No sub though.
I can't really think of anything else? Most MMOs I've played are Korean and Japanese too, ;.;

EDIT: OOH, I forgot. Project Gorgon. Currently a F2P Alpha MMO based off of Everquest, and other old fashion MMOs. Maybe worth checking out if you like to do more than mindlessly mash the 1-9 keys.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:37:58 am by Facekillz058 »
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:50:17 am »

Dunno about good (though it's getting there at an accelerated pace since new devs took over), but the only truly American MMO I can think of is Salem ;)
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 09:03:10 am »

Uh. So they're supposed to be from either of the Americas, North America, the US, or just non-Korean? Cause your post suggests the latter and the topic title suggests one of the others, so I'm not sure if the ones I have in mind qualify.

I guess Puzzle Pirates qualifies either way since the devs are from the US. It's a cartoony game where you control a Playmobil-looking pirate, join a crew aboard a ship and fulfill some duty related to ship functions via different puzzle minigames. Also features crafting, swordfighting and brawling, also based around puzzles. It's pretty great if you like puzzles and would want them to have an over-game to them.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 11:56:55 am »

Blizzard's American, right? World of Warcraft is relatively enjoyable.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 08:31:17 am »

The Secret World is freaking amazing. And there isn't a subscription fee - you just need to buy the base game once to play. You play as a member of one of three secret societies: the Illuminati, the Templar, or the Dragon, and go around killing things and solving mysteries. Very X-Files/Fringe vibe to it, along with some Lovecraftian influence. Would really recommend if you're looking for a good MMO game and don't want to have to take it out on your wallet.

EDIT: Just realized Funcom (the dev team) is Norwegian. However, EA publishes The Secret World - so that makes it American enough.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:33:30 am by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 08:47:47 am »

Are you looking American game or game that has servers in America?
Can't really think of anything good Besides WOW if American only made MMO

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 10:56:30 am »

Clearly it should be an MMO set in America :P
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 03:14:39 pm »

Generally in video games I would say the only distinction is between Eastern and Western, since it was Japan and the US that were the most influential early producers of games. You could call almost any game made in Sweden as being basically American, whereas something from Korea is likely to be very different. I don't play MMOs, but I think this is even more distinctive in Eastern/Western MMOs/RPGs.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 03:34:32 pm »

EVE Online? It's from Iceland! (I think).

Then there's Age of Wulin/Wushu. it's Chinese :P
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 04:07:59 pm »

either Rift, SWTOR,TSW or WoW, i dont think there's more than that, Wildstar i guess? and Everquest i think, anything bioware, blizz or sony should do it.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 07:22:44 pm »

EVE Online? It's from Iceland! (I think).
EVE is more than a game, man. It's practically a way of life. Make sure you have a LOT of free time before dropping cash on it, and join a corp as soon as you can. Much more fun that way.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 11:45:45 pm »

Planetside 2 is an MMO, technically, but it's not an RPG if that's what you're asking for. Plus it's got some pretty high system requirements.
Wakfu is French I think. I've not played it but, it's still "not Asian" which is what I assume you mean by "American."
There was also a couple MMORTS games coming out but I forget the name and release status of every single one of them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 12:43:49 am »

There was also a couple MMORTS games coming out but I forget the name and release status of every single one of them.
I think all of them flopped...
Pages: [1] 2 3