Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: (Political-ish) Alien Defense Interest Check- Don't bump, use other topic please  (Read 2276 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: (Political-ish) Alien Defense Interest Check
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 11:38:00 pm »

Whatabout reservist troops, naval units? Etc?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 11:46:43 pm »

Reservist troops are mainly covered by regular military troops (cheap and replaceable), but you also set the defense funding of bases, which basically determines how many military troops will be 'summoned' in case of an invasion on that base.

As for naval units, I didn't really think of them, but they'd be covered under vehicles, and once produced, would be ready to send out. They wouldn't be of use because aliens attack specific places from space, meaning that unless you have a point of interest in the sea, you wouldn't really care about naval units. So unless someone decides to research and place underwater bases, they won't really be in the playing field.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 11:52:37 pm »

I think standard troops should have levels.

Just have the squads level as a whole instead of individuals.

Newbie green soldiers would naturally be shite vs experienced vets who have had hundreds of battles.

When replenishing a squad that suffered casualties, give the squad a temporary combat penalty until the vet units train the newbie units up to their level. For example. Lets say each squad has 10 members. A green squad could have a 1 combat strength. A green squad with half casualties could have a 0.5 combat strength since it's down to 5 units. A fully vet squad could have 100 combat strength. A squad with 9 vets and 1 green would have 90.1 strength. Or something. Not sure specifically.

I personally would be interested in micromanaging spec ops squad down to the number of clips and the number of bullets of which type in each clip. I like micromanaging~ XCOM: UFO Defense's microing isn't indepth enough for me~

Also naval units are extremely useful in island nations such as Japan. Battleships can provide artillery coverage across most of Japan if positioned right. Carriers are great also for planes. There are massive amounts of valuable resources in the ocean that humanity isn't tapping due to lack of easy ways to get it. Personally I would be Surprised if the aliens didn't start building underwater bases to harvest those. Part of invasion is likely to gather resources. That's a really easy way to get some with minimal hassle from humanity. We have very little sat coverage over the oceans compared to the land. We wouldn't notice most orbital insertions over the oceans. Why do you think we can lose planes and boats so easily still irl?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 11:53:13 pm »

So, sea trade isint going to be a thing, and islands dont really count?

Also, we cant have nations go to shit with their food supply getting messed, civs getting bombed, etc. etc.
Highly Opinionated Fool

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 11:54:58 pm »

Oh yah, totally forgot about the trade and fishing industry.

And the oil harvesting.

And the gas harvesting.

And the seabed mining.

And all that other stuff.

Yaaaah. I think that naval is a super important aspect.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 12:01:06 am »

Speshally since half of Europe would rely on munitions from North America, half the world relies on food from somewhere else, and the entire world either needs oil from the middle east/alaska/southamerica/russia, or else tools for producing oil. Similar story for metals...
Highly Opinionated Fool

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 12:04:22 am »

Lets not forget all those nuclear subs.

And how America holds air superiority over the majority of the planet with its massiveass carriers it has stationed /Everywhere/

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 12:06:05 am »

Squads are already planned to level up as a whole, but just SpecOps. SpecOps squads are meant to be your bread and butter, while military squads really cover less important things. If you were to compare it to X-Com UFO Defense, all the soldiers you'd have in the game are SpecOps soldiers in this. Military squads are basically you taking control of soldiers from the nation's military, instead of the "nation's best" selected for the SpecOps squads.

And as for trade routes/food supply/civilian impact[/naval units], I'll just design some systems for that.

For civilians, this is what I can think of at a glance:
-Lower food = Dead civilians
-Bombed cities = Dead civilians
-Successful invasions = Dead civilians, military infrastructure
-Dying civilians in your nation = lower funding
-Dying civilians in other nations = Eventual conquering by aliens, increased world panic level if done
A bit unsure about further impacts, because lower funding and alien occupying (read: killing everyone and building on the ashes) seems to be a bit low of an impact.

As for trade routes and civilian resource gathering, don't really know where to go on that. Maybe more resources/trade routes = Discount on items related to the harvested/traded resource, and vice versa? If the aliens decide to drop a bunch of battleships/whatever in a trade route to another nation for ammunition, then ammunition prices would skyrocket, and so on.

EDIT: Keep in mind I'm trying to keep it generally abstract enough so I don't need to keep a list of every trade route and resource collection spot ever and constantly update it.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 12:09:16 am »

Oh, and the undersea cables that will be just about all thats left when the sats go down, the farslung colonies that half the European nations have, even today, and all the fancy things on those... Like research stations, radar, missiles, emergency aircraft landing sites...

-dang ninja-
Highly Opinionated Fool

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 04:15:42 am »

Okay, so far on trade routes:
1.) A (smallish) unmentioned chain of civilian trade routes is assumed throughout the globe, providing no benefits or penalties
2.) Reinforcing trade routes (assigning ships to them) will most likely just discourage aliens from attacking it and provide defense in case of an attack. Maybe small bonus to represent increased trade due to higher sense of security?
3.) Able to start military trade routes, that exchange production lines (meaning you give up access of your near unlimited supply of item x for a near unlimited supply of item y)

More to come on civilian impact tomorrow, probably. As of right now, I'm leaning towards a terror-based system, a la XCOM:EU.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:22:54 am by Chiefwaffles »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 05:14:49 am »

Destroyed/harassed trade routes should cause material shortages for both civ and military. Panic raising for civilians, weakened industrial infrastructure, loss of funding due to government losing funds, cutbacks on normal military, some weapons and fuel being impossible to field due to lack of parts or fuel, civvies dying or starving due to food shortages, overall industry having issues due to lack of parts. For example, America/China traderoutes being pillaged would result in mass unemployment in China due to cutbacks from lack of profit, riots, and possibly food shortages due to disruption due to riots. The U.S.A. would see a skyrocketing of prices, multiple companies bankrupting and defaulting, and cascading into a thermonuclear economic explosion as it defaults that takes the globe's economy with it since the U.S. has a bloody stranglehold on the world's economy because nobody noticed until it was too bloody late and the US ended up everywhere.

This is obviously a longterm penalty, but it's still extremely bad.

Protecting traderoutes should be essential for most nations and a very poor idea to ignore.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 10:44:16 am »

PTW, I'd be interested in joining.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 06:51:22 pm »

For the civilian impact effect, I'm considering just having alien blockades. Instead of attacking a specific trade route, the aliens just decide "We don't like this nation. So this nation doesn't get to import anything ever at all" and drop a blockade there, cutting off food and materials (read: Any player installation in here will not have any resources at all) until the blockade is lifted. Blockades would cause a steady increase of terror per turn to simulate the food shortage and general panic.

Terror's basically the "civilian impact stat". Max terror means everyone is dead/hiding in a bombshelter/house, and minimum terror means (mostly) everyone is just going on with their lives as normal.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 06:29:25 pm »

I'm reviving this thread one more time (and double posting. I think I may be the worst person ever.) to ask about one important topic:
Maps.

Right now, the concept has the game not really having any geographic meaning to it. Going to places the other side of the planet take as much time, there's no borders, no adjacency, nothing. Nations just exist in a list without any reference to location. The advantage of this is that it's really simple for me, yet also for the player. The problem is fairly obvious.
I could get an outline map, but then I'd have to greatly increase the complexity of the game. Is there a middle ground that remains fairly simple for player/GM that I could use out there?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 06:43:25 pm »

I personally think maps would be a good idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4