Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Colony [OOC]  (Read 7817 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Colony [OOC]
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 01:34:44 pm »

As far as I can tell, it's a good idea to think of communal purses as simply unaligned players, who only have holdings in one settlement (and don't have special player chars boosting their production). That of course raises the question of how and if they spread (maybe it's a New Sheepstead only thing? :-\)

What makes a province "connected"?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 01:36:25 pm »

And what makes up a province? I dont think we ever learned.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 01:38:15 pm »

And what makes up a province? I dont think we ever learned.
I'm pretty sure the provinces are just the areas on the map?

You can see on the first map that there is a bright red boarder around the provinces surrounding the settlement of New sheepstead. I would assume those are it's connected provinces.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 02:00:46 pm »

Wheres the map?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 02:03:52 pm »

In the second post of this thread and the second post of the other thread.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 02:09:33 pm »

Captains, Scholars and Priests are subject to Zone of Control and may not move through provinces held by hostile armies (although they may pass through neutral territory unharmed).  Agents are invisible and ignore Zone of Control, passing freely into and through hostile held provinces.
I'm guessing Nobles are like Agents in this?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 02:18:48 pm »

The other thread's second post looked blank last I saw.
Also, thanks.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 02:52:41 pm »

Wait. Can a workshop only produce goods from one type of resource per turn?

Right now, no, you can mix and match.  I am open to revising the system to allow diversity of goods to matter, however.  If this gains support, it will probably have an effect on Infrastructure production.

Trade questions:
is there trade with the outside world?

Yes.  The game starts with a trade route to a foreign city that buys Grain and Goods for Gold, and offers the chance to buy Iron.  Players with ships may be able to send them 'off-map' to other cities for trade.

Can you elaborate on how caravan/ship routes work? Do they start transporting on the same turn you declare them? What happens if you cancel the route? (if something bad, can you modify resource composition, without changing the destination points? i.e. it was 2 Goods, 2 Grain <->4 Iron and now you want 1 Good, 3 Grain <->3 Iron)

Trade routes transport goods at the end of the turn, so it is essentially on the same turn.  If you cancel the route, you stop exporting/importing at the end of the turn (i.e. immediately).  You can change import/export on the route at any time and it will take effect at the end of the turn.  You can change the route entirely at any time and it will take effect at the end of the turn, provided one end of the route is where you are currently positioned.

It says workshops sell goods for 5 gold, and that other infrastructures buy goods for 5 gold from traders. Is that more of a guideline, or are traders just chumps/altruists?

Guideline.  Workshops will sell goods at a base price of 5 gold, but you can charge more if you want.  Infrastructure will buy the cheapest goods available first, then more expensive goods until its needs are satisfied.  Similarly, workshops will buy cheapest resources first.

In fact, since you can produce goods out of any resource you want (except horses and food.), and everyone produces food, is trade even going to be a a thing?

This is problematic.  Right now, only resource trade is really a thing, and I think we can do better on that score.  Expect a trade revision shortly, highlighting diversity of production. 

Although the questions I have, do players need to pay for the goods that their infrastructure uses, or does the town pick up that cost (thus making it profitable to just sell to yourself to extract money from the town...) and can you selectively give goods to infrastructure (such as your own infrastructure) for free if there isn't enough money/goods in town to keep them running?

The infrastructural base demands (1 Grain, 1 Good) will be paid for out of the town purse - think of it as being your workers buying their bread as opposed to the use of your own capital.  So yes, you can sell directly to your own town to extract money from the purse.  You can also donate goods/grain selectively as well, or even forbid sale of goods to certain infrastructure (do this sparingly or I will curse you).

You can see on the first map that there is a bright red boarder around the provinces surrounding the settlement of New sheepstead. I would assume those are it's connected provinces.

Provinces are map regions, and connected provinces have yellow lines leading to their connected towns.  Provinces will only connect to a town within 2 provinces' distance, so expansion necessitates the need for more towns.  Provinces will always connect to the nearest town they can.

Captains, Scholars and Priests are subject to Zone of Control and may not move through provinces held by hostile armies (although they may pass through neutral territory unharmed).  Agents are invisible and ignore Zone of Control, passing freely into and through hostile held provinces.
I'm guessing Nobles are like Agents in this?

That needs an update.  Going to rule that Nobles fall half-way; they aren't invisible and can't freely move into and through hostile held provinces - except to bribe/subvert.  Also going to add a purchasing rule to allow them to buy out foreign Infrastructure.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 03:20:11 pm »

Spoiler: Rule Changes (click to show/hide)

Edit: Given the relative lack of use of Caravans at this point in the game, Wealth startups can exchange their Caravans for 4 extra Gold instead.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:07:44 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 05:19:45 pm »

By the way, can we sell units to each other?

Edit: Also I think there might be some info that might make sense to be public not being public, like as far as I can tell my title is a secret? (It's not mentioned anywhere but in my secret info) And my information mentions a few other players, presumably because they are in similar situations as me, but not what they are. Maybe a little bit of public information (of stuff that should be public) would be nice. At least it would help facilitate the interacts between us, since as it stands I don't even know of the existence of three of the players, of the three who's names I know (since they own buildings) the only information I have is that two of them hold some vague positions of power in town.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:41:21 pm by Criptfeind »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2014, 06:17:00 pm »

Agreed.  In the Public: Sheepstead section I have added a government list and notable buildings, as well as giving Dean Hander a tavern to act as a meeting spot.  You can pin public notices on the board there, and it also acts as a place to conveniently meet characters.

If you want to make an action known to the public (e.g. Head to the docks to see who's there) just post it openly so that others can respond to it.  I'll be adding some quests on the morrow as well, to give things a bit more direction.  I just wanted to get an intro up so people could start interacting.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2014, 06:23:00 pm »

I wish there was an option to trade them in for a ship. Any ship. Ships are cool.

Heck, have a few sorts of ships, specialized trade, generic and specialized army. Then let military peoples have the option of having a ship or most of the troops...
Highly Opinionated Fool

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2014, 06:34:59 pm »

So, just to be 100% clear: if something says "Spoiler:Someone else's name" It's always off limits vis-a-vis reading? There's not special secret tag on top of that?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2014, 06:39:42 pm »

From what I can tell, its offlimits unless you have a spy getting intel on them.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2014, 06:42:08 pm »

So, can we start posting?
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6