Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everquest II: Altar of Malice (11th expansion!)  (Read 1277 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Everquest II: Altar of Malice (11th expansion!)
« on: December 05, 2014, 12:07:23 am »

SOE's 11th Everquest 2 expansion. Yep this game is still alive and kicking and so are its raiders. Most servers are experiencing severe player drought and the majority of people playing this game fall under the "casual" category. However the raid scene is pretty interesting and drama free as most of the progression guilds consist of older, more mature players. Not saying drama isn't there, it's an MMO, but it's really not comparable to some other existing MMOs.

I don't know if anyone on this forum even plays this game or cares about it. But if you do and if you happen to raid, feel free to talk about fight strategies here.. if you want. I started raiding in Tears of Veeshan and our guild cleared everything up to half of Dreadscale's Maw. So far in Altar of Malice we've cleared a good amount of content and are a close-ish #2 on the server. I know a lot of the fight strats for this expansion. If your guild is struggling I can help. Or if you're just struggling with heroics I can probably help with that too.

I'm expecting this thread to die instantly but I figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone else shares the hobby.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:59:39 am by debvon »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Everquest II: Altar of Malice (11th expansion!)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 12:38:18 am »

EQ2 has by far the best crafting and housing system of any MMO currently available. That and there is SO much to do when leveling up. Not sure how endgame is though honestly, my funds kept not allowing me to keep subscribed long enough. I'm more of a PvPer than a raider, which is why I'm currently subbed to WoW+EVE. Never been a fan of raiding, and supposedly EQ2 endgame is only 100% raiding.

Is this true? Or was my endgame friend (met him a few years ago early on in WoW) misinformed? I mean all he does is raid, so maybe he just doesn't do anything else that one can do. I mean, he says WoW is just 100% raiding too...so...yeah.

I'd sub to EQ2 if that isn't the case. Though, I'm pretty far behind on expansions.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 01:09:51 am »

Not being a raider doesn't exclude you from "end game" which EQ2 has almost always been good about. If you reach max level and join heroic groups (dungeons) regularly you can amass a full suit of quality gear. Dungeons are 6-man and range in difficulty from entry-level heroics to 'hard mode' heroics. There are also contested zones in this expansion which are dungeons that have respawning bosses/monsters where multiple independent groups can be mucking around in. In this expansion there are new "Event" heroics which are shorter versions of dungeons that focus around one gimmick in a secluded area. They're faster and usually give better (but less) loot.

That's the non raider end game. If you're into raiding and join a progression guild, all it means is you tackle a harder version of those dungeons which require 24 players coordinating over microphones. They're all pretty much the same settings, but the bosses are MUCH more difficult to overcome and usually require that everyone is paying close attention. But not everyone is into that. The token system they have in place lets you transition from hard 6-man dungeons into entry-level raiding (or hard mode raiding if the guild is vetted and willing to gear you up). And if you never want to raid you can still experience most of what the expansion has to offer.

Long answer to a short question. I think it boils down to what you consider end game.

Unfortunately the crafting isn't as involved as it used to be. Sure.. vanilla crafting was a little convoluted. You had to forge the hilt, pommel, blade, and cross-guard of a sword which all required smaller bits before you made the sword, and if you fucked up on any step you damaged the quality of the final product. This made "mastercrafting" with rare materials pretty intensive as the crafting wasn't just press 3 buttons repeatedly, get good result. That's what it is now. Press 3 buttons repeatedly, pay little to no attention. It's sad.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:13:45 am by debvon »

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 10:28:08 am »

I think what Vendayn is asking is if there are more pvp focused endgame activities, like arenas, battlegrounds, city sieges, etc. 

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 07:26:19 pm »

Yep there are battlegrounds and a token system in place for pvp oriented gear. Also pvp servers.