Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Let's Play UFO Afterlight: Recruiting  (Read 9684 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play UFO Afterlight: Recruiting
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2014, 08:35:17 pm »

I'd like to hear more about this XP farming option. How much of a boost would that be, and how much of a risk?

Othewise, the Diego thing gives us what we want without any actual downsides, right? Or does needing to kill the mech and not the device alter the mission somewhat?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2014, 08:46:41 pm »

I'd like to hear more about this XP farming option. How much of a boost would that be, and how much of a risk?

Othewise, the Diego thing gives us what we want without any actual downsides, right? Or does needing to kill the mech and not the device alter the mission somewhat?
Depending on what the first spawns are, and critical hits, probably 1-2 extra mission's worth of XP, at ~40% greater risk than getting it through just running the missions. I can probably pull us back before they start lobbing grenades. We'd also need to tap into the Reticulan ammo, since I'm not fighting them with scientific instruments if I can help it. (I'll be using some Reticulan ammo for this mission anyway.)

Needing to actually kill the mech doesn't change much. It's pretty easy to shoot it until it runs out of normal HP and falls over, and then drop dynamite on it before it gets up.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2014, 08:49:25 pm »

At this point, given our equipment I doubt XP farming is a good idea. We'd need a lot more ammo and ranged weapons (Given that currently we just shank everything to death with a mob :P ). That, and the maximum amount of EXP that gives a stat benefit is around 20, after that, it's just training points only.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2014, 08:53:04 pm »

Since I haven't touched them yet, we're great on the ammo front. By the time Diego's done training, I'll probably be able to arm the team with three new rifles, the old rifle, a pair of Reticulan rifles, and a Reticulan pistol.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2014, 08:53:39 pm »

We should not trust such a vital task to the "hands" of an alien. How are we to know it won't just befriend these other aliens and lead them against us? No, I am confident that Diego will be able to use his skills to complete the mission.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2014, 04:50:29 am »

How are we to know it won't just befriend these other aliens and lead them against us?
Well the easy way is to sneak a remote detonator onto the dynamite...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2014, 08:14:59 am »

Ptw because I like UFO very mucho and I destroyed the Reticulans' base in Aftermath.

Sign me up as the first drone you build if you decide to make one (very recommended).

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2014, 05:27:48 pm »

Depending on what the first spawns are, and critical hits, probably 1-2 extra mission's worth of XP, at ~40% greater risk than getting it through just running the missions. I can probably pull us back before they start lobbing grenades. We'd also need to tap into the Reticulan ammo, since I'm not fighting them with scientific instruments if I can help it. (I'll be using some Reticulan ammo for this mission anyway.)

Needing to actually kill the mech doesn't change much. It's pretty easy to shoot it until it runs out of normal HP and falls over, and then drop dynamite on it before it gets up.
If I'm reading this right, we may be able to get somewhere between 2.0 and 3.0 experience for 1.4 risk, compared to a normal ratio of 1.0 to 1.0.

Thus, the math says farm the things. More Willpower now means less grim death later.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 10:40:18 pm »

I am getting the vibe that there is a risk threshold at which people start dying and a time factor in which something stupid is going to happen and kill someone when it shouldn't. So spending three times as long at 1 risk would be much safer provided that the operator maintains their 'cool'... On the other hand, the game will get more difficult with time, if we burn through all our ammo now then we may get awesome soldiers enough to keep us going until we can make better ammo.

For myself, I am probably against experience farming because it probably qualifies as some form of 'scumming'... Of course, everything is less scummy if it involves dead reticulans...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2014, 10:42:44 pm »

Yeah. On the flip side though, we'll get plenty of chance to get a lot of XP for our troops anyway, regardless of any farming here or not. So, I guess my vote rests on not doing it on the basis of unit safety and laziness.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2014, 05:43:36 pm »

[...] So, I guess my vote rests on not doing it on the basis of [..] and laziness.
Democratic process subverted by well-reasoned arguments. Expect an updated some time before Friday.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2014, 07:30:39 pm »

Should I write up the Maxclones?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2014, 07:56:02 pm »

Should I write up the Maxclones?
From what i understant there is a very limited number of colonists you can use in the campaign so suicidal explosive supersoidiers might be a problem :P
But that's for the OP to decide.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 08:04:28 pm »

On the flip side, suicidal super-robots are fair game. And if you win you even get all their equipment back too, robot included!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2014, 10:26:01 pm »

Hmm. MaxBots may be an interesting idea.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6